• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cobra L4V

Bossman641

Reaction score
I got sucked into the hype of this club on WRX. After reading about it for weeks and weeks I finally broke down and got one. I've got a good 10 rounds under my belt with it now, so I can give a good opinion.

Bottom line - Does it live up to the hype? Yes

The setup: Cobra L4V X with BB Solutions XS
I actually stumbled onto this shaft. Guy was selling head only and he said he'd throw this in there for another $30 or so. I know a lot of people here are big fans of it.

My previous driver was a 905R with a V2. The Cobra absolutely kills the R in terms of forgiveness. I honestly feel like I can't miss with this driver. Looking down, you just feel so much confidence. My normal shot is a draw, miss is a smothered hook. This club sets up beautifully, a little bit open. I honestly don't think I've had a drive missed bad left yet (knock on wood). I've pulled a few down the left side, but no big nose-diving hooks. If anything, I have to watch out for the big miss to the right. When I first got it, I was missing everything right. The combination of an open face and a rusty swing led to quite a few lazy fly balls to right field. Now that my swing is rounding into shape, it's not much of a problem anymore. Maybe once a round I'll make a lazy swing, not get through the ball and miss out right. Just have to aim down the middle, make a good move through the ball, and watch it fly.

I hit the ball quite high with this combo, but I'm not sure I'm losing much. The courses I play have quite a few 260 carries over bunkers to cut corners on some par 5's. The ball just gets up in the air and goes and goes. I'm seeing some run out of it at the end as well. The courses are finally dried out, so I can actually get a good judge of distance now.

I'd have to say the Cobra is a good 10-15 yards longer than the R, mishits are probably 15-20 yards longer. The Cobra is just so hard to miss. Even shots off the toe still carry, not quite as forgiving off the heel. Unless I make a terrible swing and block one way out right, my misses are only 10 yards shorter than shots off the sweetspot. With the R, that was more like 15-20 yards. I brought the R with me the first couple times I hit this club, at the time the Cobra was only 5-10 longer than the R, but that was when the course was wet and I still had my winter swing. One of these days I'll throw the R back in the bag, bring em both, and do a side by side showdown.

Cons - This driver is quite loud. At a covered range it is ridiculously loud, obnoxious actually. It's not quite as bad out on the course. A couple people I've played comment on how it sounds like a baseball bat. A few shots later, they're saying how they need to get a baseball bat of their own.

The one other thing is that this driver, at least my combo, wants to be pounded. It doesn't do quite as well on easy swings. You need to attack this thing. I've found myself losing my tempo a few times on iron shots. I get in the mode of trying to kill the ball, and then have to remind myself to tone it down on the other shots.

Bottom line - I'm keeping this driver as it is for now. I have a PM702 sitting around that I was gonna throw in this club, but I don't want to change just for the sake of changing. I haven't been on a monitor so I don't know my numbers, but I don't feel like I'm losing distance due to excessive spin/height. I'm gonna try to get on a monitor sometime in the next month or so. If my spin numbers are too high I'll make a change to the 702, the WRXer's say the club is a monster with this shaft, but I'm happy with what I have right now.

L4V Lovin ;-)

Can't beat a bit of L4V Lovin!!!

I really liked mine with the Stock RedBoard for Cobra but since installing the Diamana 83 X, I can just rip this thing as hard as I want and it goes long and straight. I hit 13 out of 15 fairways with it on Saturday in tough Windy conditions which was the platform for my Victory in the Spring Medal. :D

WBL you should demo this club it will pi$$ all over your Nike SuMo thingy.

Can't beat a bit of L4V Lovin!!!

I really liked mine with the Stock RedBoard for Cobra but since installing the Diamana 83 X, I can just rip this thing as hard as I want and it goes long and straight. I hit 13 out of 15 fairways with it on Saturday in tough Windy conditions which was the platform for my Victory in the Spring Medal. :D

WBL you should demo this club it will pi$$ all over your Nike SuMo thingy.

What length are you playing yours at? I've got mine at 44.75 with the Solutions, which I think is around 70 grams. It's a little heavy but it's a hammer, not The Hammer though. POW!

I gave the L4V a run awhile back and might end up buying it again. I'm just waiting for the price to come down a bit. I would like a little more forgivness than the 905R.

What length are you playing yours at? I've got mine at 44.75 with the Solutions, which I think is around 70 grams. It's a little heavy but it's a hammer, not The Hammer though. POW!

It's 45" (i think). It feels very heavy with the 83gram shaft but I have a very fast tempo & transaction so it helps keep me smooth. I've recently discovered I prefer Steel shafted hybrids & Fairways I think the extra weight suits my swing better.

I gave the L4V a run awhile back and might end up buying it again. I'm just waiting for the price to come down a bit. I would like a little more forgivness than the 905R.

Go on treat yourself too another one and shaft it with something exotic and enjoy :)

BTW when did you get your Pro CB's and what do you think of them?

Go on treat yourself too another one and shaft it with something exotic and enjoy :)

BTW when did you get your Pro CB's and what do you think of them?

Yeah i got my 905R dirt cheap and can make some cash on it so im keeping my eye out for the L4v.

I just picked up the Pro Cbs on Monday. Played my first round yesterday, I was playing some Callaway X20s so this was a huge change for me. I have been striking the ball well so I decided to give these a shot, First impression was wow these are much smaller the the X20s. I hit the ball well not any worse than the X20s, there does seems to be a weight differance or it could be just in my head. I still need to hit them some more to give a final decision but I did hit some very nice shots with them, nice and solid. The flight seemed to be a bit lower the the X20s with the Uniflex shaft and and mishits really didnt seem as penalizing as I thought. Very beautiful clubs in person, I was cruising the shop and they had the used demo set with the 4-gap wedge which was exactly what I was looking for. I had made several trips before and they were all sold out so I had to pulll the trigger when I saw them.
cobra.JPG

Very nice looking irons indeed :) I've seen a few sets apear on Ebay and have been tempted but I'm hitting my MP32's great so I can't see it happening any time soon. ;)

Very nice looking irons indeed :) I've seen a few sets apear on Ebay and have been tempted but I'm hitting my MP32's great so I can't see it happening any time soon. ;)

PMSL..now now MG we all know thats a blatent lie:biglol:

Next year I'll be looking at this years drivers so might try to hit an L4V on a monitor before then and compare it to mine. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520