• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CT 250 Stealth Bomber

RJTee

Reaction score
After all the accolades heaped on the Maltby CT 250 driver head I was curious. On sale for $29.95 which, after receiving it, I consider it to be a bargain considering the quality of construction alone. Anyway, I had a Penley Stealth 70 shaft that was given to me mounted to a non-conforming head, so I swapped it into the CT 250. Final dimensions were 46.5 inches, 337 grams, and E2 swing weight.

I' used this shaft in the nonconforming head last year and had my longest drives with it, however, it was hard to control and....non-conforming. Took about a dozen or so swings with this and it may end up being the gamer. Hit most of the balls dead center on the clubface (much better balance with the CT 250 clubhead), and except for a few swings the ball was long and straight. A balmy 36* here today, with range balls and they were carrying just short of the back fence about 250 yards out. That may not sound like much to many here, but for me that is very good. Here is a few pics of my $35 (with grip) special.
2008_0306maltby0040.JPG
2008_0306maltby0041.JPG
2008_0306maltby20046.JPG
2008_0306maltby20050.JPG

Thats it, i'm ordering one right now...i'm sick of all you guys having the fun!

That looks sick!

Great looking club. It's so nice to pay less for a golf club that just plain gets it done. E2 seems like an awfully high swingweight, though.

E2 seems like an awfully high swingweight, though.

Not really. Standard driver is about D2 at 45 inches. Add 9 swing weight points for the inch and half added length, and 1 point for the Maltby head which is 203g instead of the normal 200, and you get E2. Regardless, its just a number and means very, very little if anything at all.

I'm playing D5 and I love it!! :)

You sure about that? At the length your drivers are, with the shafts that are in them, with a standard grip, the head would need to weigh roughly 180g to only achieve D5. The G2 weighs 192g and at your specs would be an E1 swing weight. The Adams would tip the scale at about E5.

You sure about that? At the length your drivers are, with the shafts that are in them, with a standard grip, the head would need to weigh roughly 180g to only achieve D5. The G2 weighs 192g and at your specs would be an E1 swing weight. The Adams would tip the scale at about E5.

LOL Yeah WBL, come on lets get with it here LOL
icon12.gif

Does anyone use the Flight Control one? I have that one and I like it.

Jaden

E2 seems like an awfully high swingweight, though.

You know, I thought so too, however, trying to get the swing weight down at that length would have added more weight to it, so I just left alone. I'm not sure why but heavier swing weights and heavier clubs in general, seem to work better for me. I tend to get quick and lose my tempo with lighter clubs.

I recently bought (and sold after trying them) irons with DG SL shafts in them because they were so light that I couldn't feel them in my swing and would get off plane.

At the length this driver is you can feel the club head all the way thru the swing. In reality for my size I would be better off with a heavier 43 1/2" driver, but.....that will be for the next driver.

Swing weight is a measurement of balance based on a 14 inch fulcrum. Adding weight to the butt end to lower swing will fool the swing weight scale but do nothing to actually change how heavy the head feels. By adding weight to the butt you are adding weight so high up towards the hands that you simply dont feel it in relation to the head. This is also one of the reasons backweighting (counter balancing) works.

After all the accolades heaped on the Maltby CT 250 driver head I was curious. On sale for $29.95 which, after receiving it, I consider it to be a bargain considering the quality of construction alone. Anyway, I had a Penley Stealth 70 shaft that was given to me mounted to a non-conforming head, so I swapped it into the CT 250. Final dimensions were 46.5 inches, 337 grams, and E2 swing weight.

I' used this shaft in the nonconforming head last year and had my longest drives with it, however, it was hard to control and....non-conforming. Took about a dozen or so swings with this and it may end up being the gamer. Hit most of the balls dead center on the clubface (much better balance with the CT 250 clubhead), and except for a few swings the ball was long and straight. A balmy 36* here today, with range balls and they were carrying just short of the back fence about 250 yards out. That may not sound like much to many here, but for me that is very good. Here is a few pics of my $35 (with grip) special.

Where did you get the head for that price?

Vt beat me to it. When I bought mine they only offered the 10.5 and 9.5; now I see they are offering the 8* and 9.5*, but not the 10.5*. Good thing as I probably would have been tempted by the 8*, and not had the same response.

I played 9 this morning before work and I just can't get over how well this thing plays.

Swing weight is a measurement of balance based on a 14 inch fulcrum. Adding weight to the butt end to lower swing will fool the swing weight scale but do nothing to actually change how heavy the head feels. By adding weight to the butt you are adding weight so high up towards the hands that you simply dont feel it in relation to the head. This is also one of the reasons backweighting (counter balancing) works.
OK. Let's say I'm putting together two different sets of irons, and I want each of them to match the swingweights in my current set. The heads in the first set are 10 grams heavier than the reference heads, while the heads in the second set are 10 grams lighter. Are you saying that backweighting to even out the swingweight in the first set wouldn't produce the same result as adding weight to the second set? The swingweight, as read by the scale, would be the same. The first set would have a higher static weight; however, the extra weight would be in the grip end. Are you saying that extra weight, because of its proximity to the hands, wouldn't affect the feel of the club?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520