• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dave Pelz

fergal

Reaction score
Hi,

I own and have read Dave Pelz's Putting Bible and Short game Bible (twice!)
Both are excellent - but I have a question about each.

In the Putting Bible, Pelz explains how face angle at impact is more important than clubhead direction.
ie Clubhead traveling straight at target but clubface pointing 45 degrees to the right at impact will result in ball traveling 37.35 degrees to the right, conversely clubhead traveling 45 degrees to the right but clubface square at impact will set the ball going 7.65 degrees to the right. This also appears to be the same with chip shots.
But is this the same with full distance shots? Because it appears to me that the ball starts in the direction it was hit but will then curve towards the direction the clubface is pointing. Why is this ?

Also there is no mention of the dreaded "Double Hit" shot in the Short Game bible, something I'm doing less since I've bought the books - but what causes the double hit ?

Thanks !
Fergal

If there is one book that was the BANE of my golfing career it was Dave Pelz's short game bible. I read it and for the entire season I could not chip. It got so bad that at one point I was using a putter from 30 yds out to roll the ball to the green.

It was far to technical for me. All this talk of face angles being 37.75* and all that, just put my mind into a lockdown.

Of course, that's me and it may work great for you and I know there are a ton of people that it has helped.

I guess this response wasn't really what you were looking for, I did add one to my post count though

:killersmiley:

You are thinking way too much.

If there is one man I would like to kick in the nuts, that man would be Dave Pelz. What a tool.

If there is one man I would like to kick in the nuts, that man would be Dave Pelz. What a tool.

You said what I wanted to say in about 1/8th the amount of space. LOL

But is this the same with full distance shots? Because it appears to me that the ball starts in the direction it was hit but will then curve towards the direction the clubface is pointing. Why is this ?

Also there is no mention of the dreaded "Double Hit" shot in the Short Game bible, something I'm doing less since I've bought the books - but what causes the double hit ?

Thanks !
Fergal
To answer the question, what you mention is correct. The ball will begin to travel in the direction of the clubpath. Although the direction it will impart spin is in relation to where the clubface is pointing in relation to the clubpath as opposed to the loft of the club. Although the loft could lead you to pull a ball, say when the ball is above your feet

So if you have a 4* inside~out swing, and the clubface is open 3*, or 1* closed in relation to the clubpath, you will impart a slight draw on the ball and it will spin back to the target. However if you have a 4* inside~out swing, and the clubface is open 5*, or 1* open in relation to the clubpath, you will basic hit a fade that is already starting to the right. Same would apply opposite on the Outside~in, so you can read alot about you swing based on the ball flight.

I personally think understanding this is a key fundamental to being able to address issues with your swing. I spent the first year of Golf trying to address a slice by correcting an Outside~In swing, that I did not have. It was in fact that I was not closing the clubface and doing a proper release. By the time I understood that was the case, my swing path was actually Inside~out by my trying to correct. Once I released properly, I was then hitting a draw. Spent the first year hearing, "Oh, you hit a slice, that means you have an Over the top swing.

I thought he had talked about the double hit in the Short Game Bible, but I may be wrong. May have seen it on one of his shows or other readings. Can be caused by a few things, most notably with me is if I hit a relatively fat pitch or chip, and because it did not take off quickly enough, the clubhead is moving faster and catches up to the ball and hits it again. All about clean contact and the reason you probably are not doing it as much now.

BTW, I think I am the small minority on here about people who like Pelz. I use his short game technique and like his writing, most on here refer to him by another name, Satan. ;) Although As much as I like his writing style, I would not recommend his book "Damage Control". Here is my review:
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/19275-dave-pelz-damage-control-book.html

I did not read his Putting Bible, as I have never had issue with my putting, and try not to search for any information on it for that reason.

Pelz may have some good points, Phil is awesome around the greens. But listening to him for more 2 seconds makes my brain hurt.

So I guess I'll get in that line of people who want to kick him in the groin.

To answer the question, what you mention is correct. The ball will begin to travel in the direction of the clubpath. Although the direction it will impart spin is in relation to where the clubface is pointing in relation to the clubpath as opposed to the loft of the club. Although the loft could lead you to pull a ball, say when the ball is above your feet

So if you have a 4* inside~out swing, and the clubface is open 3*, or 1* closed in relation to the clubpath, you will impart a slight draw on the ball and it will spin back to the target. However if you have a 4* inside~out swing, and the clubface is open 5*, or 1* open in relation to the clubpath, you will basic hit a fade that is already starting to the right. Same would apply opposite on the Outside~in, so you can read alot about you swing based on the ball flight.

80/20. Balls initial direction is determined 80% by the clubface, and 20% by the clubpath. How that relates to fixing a golfswing, probably it wont help. I try to fix the clubface first, path second when my swing is on the fritz, and I know people who do the opposite, they worry about path and assume the clubface is square to path.

Its the same for putting, the clubface rules the day, where you can setup to the right of the cup, pull it, and it can go straight in.

I guess this response wasn't really what you were looking for, I did add one to my post count though

I don't have anything to add to your response that was not what the OP was looking for but, I did add one to my post count as well.:)

Oh..............

I don't have anything to add to your response that was not what the OP was looking for but, I did add one to my post count as well.:)

Oh..............

:biglol:good stuff.

Trackman had a very interesting article on this after extensive testing in this area.
according to trackman, clubface angle is about 60+ % responsible for the direction the ball goes while path only accounts for 30ish %.
If I can find the article i'll post it.
It's pretty funky when you evaluate the numbers.
It really suggests the only thing that matters is clubface position at impact for straight shots that is!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520