• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dispersion in blades and cavity backs.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am aimed right at some tm 2014 tp mc irons, but since I read oobs article on how much better dispersion blades have vs cavity backs, I am torn. I float in the upper 70s low 80s and would like those birdie opportunities to increase.

I have either played blades, like CG1 tour older and newer, 588 mb, even W/S or CBs like CG16, Rocketbladez tour. That middle ground of a muscle cavity design seems attractive, for the 1 or 2 game a week player that I am.

That dispersion detail bothers me. How close are muscle cavities in dispersion to blades and cavity backs?

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the article? I'd like to see the testing methodology for this. Or was this just an opinion?

Physics would tell you that dispersion would be much worse with blades vs. perimeter weighted irons... for anyone whose game is less than pro level. Few have the skill set to make perfect contact with every shot.
If dispersion were an issue with perimeter weighted irons, why do so many Tour pros play them?

The "muscle cavity" irons give some semblence of moderation between pure muscle back blades and game improvement irons. If you have a fairly consistent iron game, the perimeter weighting of that configuration will give you a little forgiveness vs. full muscle backs.

I still believe if you put a muscle back or a game improvement iron on Iron Byron... have a machine swing the clubs to get perfect strikes each time, there will be no difference in dispersion. If anyone suggests otherwise, I'd like to see the data collected from the test.

The first article I read that got my attention some time ago was this;

Blades Versus Cavity Backs: A Golf Club Epiphany

But having suffered through the misses with blades, well you are in the fairway, but not chipping on anyways.

I play my best golf when I am not aiming at a specific spot so much as a specific acceptable area, from which the next club can have a high accuracy rate, including putter ultimately. I would like to tighten that linkage up, but worry that superprecise blades will bring problems that offset gains. Then on the other hand, getting the muscle cavity heads may be a choice that is really a non choice, leaving accuracy on the table, and my inner geek cant stand it.

After reading this article, I think this is why I really like the idea of a combo set.

7-PW blades, because those are the scoring clubs, I expect to be on the green when swinging those and require accuracy. Shorter clubs are easier to consistently hit the sweet spot on the club.

3-6 cavity backs because those are distance clubs, as long as i'm close, it will be good enough, but the forgiveness in length is what I need more so than forgiveness in dispersion on perfect contact. I'm much more likely to be off center contact on these longer irons.

I've never beloved the claim that blades have a tighter dispersion than CBs. If anything, it should be the other way around because a CB's design should be more forgiving on mishits.

I've never beloved the claim that blades have a tighter dispersion than CBs. If anything, it should be the other way around because a CB's design should be more forgiving on mishits.
I replaced the bb on my shotgun with a tennis ball. Anything behind the tennis ball is coming out of the sky. If you hit 18 /18 GIR your irons are probably in need of complete replacement, as its no fun hitting boringly accurate clubs.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520