• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driver head flew off my FT5 driver,

ol-crank

Reaction score
a few weeks ago, I posted here asking which shaft to use on the FT5 driver I bought used on ebay. I decided to have the aldila NV75S shaft put on so I took the club to Golf Town ( a good chain of golf shops here in Canada) and the repair guy says there are two ways he can do it, #1 heat up the head, or 2 saw off the shaft and drill. I said saw and drill as Callaway says not to heat the head. When I picked up the club I hit a dozen balls at the store, then played next day no problem. A few days later I played again and on the 8th hole, par 5, about 480 yds, I hit a great drive, 280 yds, nice and straight, but following the ball off the tee went the driver head. About 40 yards, across the cart path, (small chip). When I took it back the guy said " I shouldn't have let you hit anything because I glued it together about 3 hours before you came in".
Not a big problem, but this guy had a bunch of certs on the wall saying he was a qualified golfsmith, shoulda known better.
He reglued it and I guess it should be ok.
Big surprise when the head takes off after the shot though.

Wow, that sucks. He should have told you, or used the 15 minute stuff.

Brutal. Glad you got the head back. More often than not, this happens as you step up to the tee with either a 75 foot gulley in the way or 200 yards of water carry. :faintthud

I'm surprised he even let you take the club if it was that un-cured. Rookie mistake, at best.

R35

Wow... I think I woulda got some free stuff outta that deal... esp with nics and chips on my driver head!

I had it happen to me with a Vsteel 3W. The head flew off at the range, hit a range ball that was out there on the ground and put a tiny dent in the crown. I hope the shaft tip wasn't damaged on your club. That's a lot of bore depth to come flying out of.

That could be dubbed your fault . You should always wait until the next day to hit a club with a new shaft in it , or even ask is it okay to use it. Even the 15 minute stuff actually needs more time to cure. The only thing good after 3 hours is a new grip

That could be dubbed your fault .

Sure it could...by a douchebag, idiot, retard. :D

You leave it there for 3 days, and he doesn't say that you shouldn't hit it, its his fault. Maybe not legally, but its the decent thing to do.

I wouldn't give them another penny of my business.

That could be dubbed your fault . You should always wait until the next day to hit a club with a new shaft in it , or even ask is it okay to use it. Even the 15 minute stuff actually needs more time to cure. The only thing good after 3 hours is a new grip

If you offer a service, it's on your honour that you offer details about the service you just did, not the consumer asking about it. He just paid you for the work that he expects to be informed in full about.

You trust the guy that just put the new tire on your car that he put the right amount of air in it, right? But if he left it flat and you drove away, are you the one at fault? Not a chance. You pay for a service and expect the full monty.

If he doesn't divulge the info, he's asking for trouble, and got it. Rightfully so.

IMO, I would avoid that shop like the plague. Any idiot that gives you a club a couple hours after epoxy and says fire away obviously has no clue.

R35

Definitely the clubfitter's fault. He should have given you your money back, and maybe even replaced your driver (or given store credit or something).

Did you speak to the manager/owner?

Even with fast dry epoxy the head shouldnt have flown off. I use fast dry stuff all the time and never have any issues. The culprit here is most likely the clubmakers prep work. Something or everything was not clean enough so the epoxy didnt bond. Either way it his fault.

Even with fast dry epoxy the head shouldnt have flown off. I use fast dry stuff all the time and never have any issues. The culprit here is most likely the clubmakers prep work. Something or everything was not clean enough so the epoxy didnt bond. Either way it his fault.

As mentioned, avoid this place like the plague. Anyone worth their salt would have been appalled to hear the news of a bad prep and done anything to help you out.

I've yet to have a bad bond on a club, knock on wood....:laugh:

R35

Most fast dry epoxies can be hit 1.5 hours after assembly. I have played clubs less than a full hour after building by adding a little heat to the dry process. As for grip, most can swung within 10 minutes without issue.

As mentioned, avoid this place like the plague. Anyone worth their salt would have been appalled to hear the news of a bad prep and done anything to help you out.

I've yet to have a bad bond on a club, knock on wood....:laugh:

R35

Yep. Pieces of paper on a clubmakers wall mean jack shit imo. I saw a guy, a PCS class A fitter no less, cleaning out a hosel with paint thinner. Anyone who has ever used paint thinner knows how greasy a film that crap leaves. His wall plaque looked damn nice though.

I had a shaft snap on my callaway, but they replaced it very quickly, good cusomter service
biggrin.gif

a couple of things,

I left the club for about a week so I didn't know when he installed the shaft and I asked him if I could hit a few balls at store when I picked it up. The guy did touch up the chip on the top of the head with a black paint pen, and I can live with the mark. One thing the pro at the club where I played said was that there wasn't any epoxy on the tip, or more likely, not very much and he said the guy that installed the shaft didn't even sand the tip. (who knows)
I didn't ask for bonus because I felt sorry for the guy, he seemed pretty bummed when he saw me coming back with the club in two pieces.

I have also had a couple of shafts snap (callaway X-14 graphite shaft) and Callaway fixed in no charge, because the break was near the hosel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301