• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driver help

Not likely...

You need to get on a launch monitor with an experienced clubfitter to determine what loft club you need.

If the ball is going really high is probably not the lofts fault, its the spins fault

ETA: If you are a brand new golfer your focus should probably be closer to the green. Driving distance is really over-rated. Work more on good iron play and even more on chipping and putting. Thats where you will notice a real difference in your scores. After you have gotten a good grip on shortgame, then start focusing on your diving ability.

EXACTLY....well put. Achieving the long ball is in my opinion the single biggest limiting factor in the MALE golfers progression. If your goal is to be a driving range guy who can hit the long ball then yes, concentrate on pounding the drive. If however you want to learn to shoot the lowest score you have in your ability range then work on wedge play, irons and putting. Short game shots are the killer or savior of all our games.

my distance was pretty good but i think when i get some money together i am going to grab a lower loft club, right now i am using a 10.5, i think a 9 or 8.5 could help me get a little more distance.
When that time comes, make sure you get on a launch monitor and get some information. It usually comes at no cost, and for the most part most people play drivers that not only have too little loft, but are too long for them. You may actually find that you will get more distance by going to a shorter driver that allows clean contact ever shot, and possibly a more lofted one because the majority of your distance is going to be from carry and not roll. Unless you are quite sure that you regularly hit the ball over 265 consistently, depending on your swing you may actually be losing distance by going to less than 10.5* loft. I would first give some thought to talking to a reputable clubmaker and see what they recommend.

Again, you may have a swing where less loft may give you distance, but I'm simply guessing that if you are getting used to the game, unless you are very athletic you may see more average distance and control by possibly having someone shorten your driver, and if you do decide on a new driver, it may possibly be more loft that will not only add distance but give you control.

Just don't put down a ton of money on a new driver unless you are absolutely sure what it, as well as the shaft will affect your shot. The shaft is very important as well. If you like to read and are getting used to the cause and affect of equipment, this book may be good to get an idea for a starting point. It is one of the top clubmaker in the industry. It is another book I really wish I would have bought when I started and would have likely saved me a ton of money on equipment mistakes.
Amazon.com: The Search for the Perfect Golf Club: Tom W. Wishon, Tom Grundner: Books

Again, not saying your thoughts are not even spot on, just make sure you know how the club head, shaft, etc will effect your game if not talking to a clubmaker, at the very least get on a launch monitor and get the stats and post them on here and you will find there are quite a few on here that will be able to interpret them for you.

Played nine holes today and absolutely crushed the ball, every single drive was playable, shot my best nine hole round yet!! a 51, coulda been a 48 but i absolutely butchered the last hole!!! one par, still chasing that ever elusive birdie!!!

Saw a few posts about Hogan's book in the thread in relation to the stance which interest me. I regularly watch a video of Ben Hogan hitting practice balls at the Masters (20 mins) which was filmed by Clem Naracott with Hogan's permission. Having read his book, I can say with certainty that it was written for the masses. Hogan splayed both feet when hitting the driver, in a closed stance with knees hips and shoulders parallel to the target. His take away was on the line of his feet and was an extension of his waggle which traversed the same line. His hands just got past shoulder level with a full shoulder and hip turn. It is noticable that on all his shots he sets himself for the downswing during the final stages of the backswing which increases his wrist angle and gets his weight over his left hip which are fully turned. From there he turns his left hip back to the left and pulls down with his left arm simulaneously, his body remaining closed. His head stays behind the ball position until the right shoulder pulls it up. His arms stay together and do not separate with the right arm being straight at the finish. Every swing is an exact copy of his previous swing including his waggle. The thing that struck me about Hogan's swing is that one doesn't need to be an elite athlete to copy it.

I need a few tips on how to use my driver.

1.) how high should i have my tee? should i tee it lower so i'll be striking the ball square or higher and getting a bit underneath it?

2.) when setting up right before i swing, i used to lay the club on the ground right next to the ball and start my backswing from there, but then i watched a couple of pros set up and their club never touched the ground? I tried that and hit two of my best drives ever but i wasnt very consistent, any opinions on this?

3.) i find it difficult to get my hips fully rotated, maybe its the way i am standing? Is it ok to have an open stance with my lead foot a little to the left, or is that going to cause more bad than good?

So those are the three things that i was wondering any help would be appreciated, i plan on taking some more lessons as well in the near future.
I think everyone covered it but here is what I say

1) As others say, it is personal preference. I tend to keep my ball tied up fairly high but others pretty much put it as low as possible.

2) I could NEVER imagine doing that as I always keep my driver from touching the ground....just a little itch of mine.

3) I would never open my stance up like that. I like to close myself off (not completely but slightly) until impact.

As the other 2 options though, depends on your swing

another round at the range today, absolutely killed it, i am no longer grounding the club, slice only occurs when i rush my downswing and i have a little draw sometimes, but mostly straight, i have a tendency to fall back after i swing sometimes i know this is bad and must be changed, but everything else seems great, the girl is taking me for a round tomorrow and i couldnt be more psyched!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520