• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dumpster diver

goodearth58

Reaction score
The "friend" that got me started playing golf was a trash picker. He checked every trash bin for gloves, broken clubs etc… It was a real embarrassment to have people watching him on a busy weekend. Any stories about dumpster divers?

Many years ago I used a Lynx blade putter I found in a garbage can at a golf course. It was missing the grip. I re-gripped it and used it for about 8 years.

Ever notice you rarely find aluminum cans in the little trash cans that are on the tees? Kind of makes you wonder...

Got me a ghetto putta outa the dumpster a few years back. I reckon it's 50-60 years old. It was rusty and beaten up but I gave her a good scrub and a new grip and it putts like a Scotty. I own more putters than an average touring pro and find it hard to knock this one off its perch. Embarassed? Hell no!

I don't dumpster dive, but I do haunt thrift shops, pawn shops, and flea markets. Some of my finds for 2013.
The four single clubs, from left to right, Yonex carbon graphite ADX 100 Five wood, ($1.99) a Cobra Baffler Steel Classic 3 wood, ($1.00) an original Cobra Bafler from 1974 or so, ($1.00), and a Cleveland Tour Edition 900 60' Wedge, ($1.00). All these clubs were Good to Very Good.
DSC04977.JPG

A more than complete set of Tour Edition Copperheads, including the rather rare Copperhead Putter, ($25 including the bag), Power Bilt Citation wood set, 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, ($4.00), Walter Hagen Ultradyne 1,3,4,5, ($8.00) All these are just Good, and I had to polish up the copper irons.
DSC04978.JPG

Next, my set of Hogan Magnum Irons, which I paid $6.00 for everything but the 7 iron, which cost me $30 to complete the set. All regripped in Golf Pride Tour grips. Wish I could hit them...

DSC04979.JPG

Lastly, my Head bag. Found this at an indoor flea market with a set of Excalibur irons inside. Mint condition and it even had matching turquoise head covers, which I don't use. ($15.00). I sold the Excalibur irons at a used club store for $15, and got the bag essentially for free.

DSC04976.JPG

The Tennessee hound dog head cover and the tiger Atlanta 83rd Open, 2001 headcovers I found in a used bin at a golf shop, $1.00 each.

I don't dumpster dive, but I do haunt thrift shops, pawn shops, and flea markets. Some of my finds for 2013.
The four single clubs, from left to right, Yonex carbon graphite ADX 100 Five wood, ($1.99) a Cobra Baffler Steel Classic 3 wood, ($1.00) an original Cobra Bafler from 1974 or so, ($1.00), and a Cleveland Tour Edition 900 60' Wedge, ($1.00). All these clubs were Good to Very Good.
View attachment 23727

A more than complete set of Tour Edition Copperheads, including the rather rare Copperhead Putter, ($25 including the bag), Power Bilt Citation wood set, 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, ($4.00), Walter Hagen Ultradyne 1,3,4,5, ($8.00) All these are just Good, and I had to polish up the copper irons.
View attachment 23728

Next, my set of Hogan Magnum Irons, which I paid $6.00 for everything but the 7 iron, which cost me $30 to complete the set. All regripped in Golf Pride Tour grips. Wish I could hit them...

View attachment 23729

Lastly, my Head bag. Found this at an indoor flea market with a set of Excalibur irons inside. Mint condition and it even had matching turquoise head covers, which I don't use. ($15.00). I sold the Excalibur irons at a used club store for $15, and got the bag essentially for free.

View attachment 23730

The Tennessee hound dog head cover and the tiger Atlanta 83rd Open, 2001 headcovers I found in a used bin at a golf shop, $1.00 each.
Do you have any clubs in that bag or is just head covers? :)

I figured if I can't hit em', I might scare off my opponents with all the animals in my bag.

Just for the record, in my bag:
Callaway Razor X driver, 10.5, regular shaft.
Echelon 3, 5, 7 fairway woods, regular shaft.
Srixon rescue hybrid, regular shaft.
PowerBilt hybrids, 4-PW, with a standard SW, senior shafts.
MasterGrip putter, with extended shaft and long putter grip.

azgreg, that comes from living out in the country in the Poconos for 21 years and hauling my own heating wood, plus running a furniture refinishing shop for 12 of those years. My back, knees, hands and right shoulder are full of arthritis. Celebrex, Advil and booze help a lot...

azgreg, that comes from living out in the country in the Poconos for 21 years and hauling my own heating wood, plus running a furniture refinishing shop for 12 of those years. My back, knees, hands and right shoulder are full of arthritis. Celebrex, Advil boobs and booze help a lot...
FIXED

I had a decent set of clubs that I just regripped, my irons were King Vipers, Cobra knockoffs and I had a Taylormade R5 driver. I had a hankering for all Taylormade irons and I regularly searched the local Goodwill stores for anything interesting. One day I spotted a partial set of Taylormade Burner irons with bubble shafts in good condition including the grips. With the senior discount I got the 5 clubs for under $5. Later on I found a great old leather bag also in like new condition. In the next several weeks I managed to round out the complete set of irons with purchases on Ebay. Now I needed some fairway woods. Again, at a local Goodwill store I searched the barrel of used clubs when I spotted an employee pushing a cart out of the back room with two golf clubs and I immediately recognized the characteristic bubble shafts. The two clubs were a driver and a 3 wood, both were in pristine condition. I chose the 3 wood for $5. Later on I found a brand new Burner approach wedge on Craig's list for $20. I've always been a dumpster diver, yard saler, and bargain hunter. Now I'm looking for a late model Taylormade driver.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520