• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Feel I have to post here...

The master

Reaction score
After a nearly two month lay off I decided to play to finally get back on to the course.

Anyway, it felt like I had never touched a club in my life, was hitting it all over the place, I just couldn't make a good swing, it felt unnatural. It was only the last 3 holes when I started getting a bit of my normal game back.

My confidence is very low after yesterdays round, should I let it worry me? I will just have to hit the range and really work on things, for next season I'm aiming for a more consistent repeatable swing!

That's too bad. Sounds like things are over for you, so you might as well just quit. :p

Now you know what golf feels like for most of us.

Don't worry. After you've played for 40 or so years you won't have that feeling. It will feel just like you never missed a day.:)

I took three years off and just got back into it about 3 weeks ago. I hit the ranges first and then finally played my first round yesterday. I played where the rest of my group was playing from (blues) and shot a 75. My short game was the death of me but if that was on I would have shot about a 70. Drives were consistantly 300 or more depending on the hole and straight as an arrow (gotta love my new SQ). Irons were as long as ever. Anything outside of 10' was almost a guaranteed two putt, this is what was killing me. Now I just need to start my new index and see if I can get it back down to a +2.77 or lower.

I also had a similar experience of getting back on the course this year after a long time off, but I was never a +2.7, so it took me a few rounds. After starting in the mid 100s, I am down to the low 90s after about 7 rounds. Now the rainy season is coming, so I will probably do a lot of work at the range and putting in the living room. Come spring, I am going to break into the 80s, with a goal of breaking 80 by next fall... We'll see...

Now I'm just saying this to help, but...

Hit the range more than you play. Even in a lapse that long it shouldn't feel so foreign, so you need to develop more muscle memory. After I broke my collar bone I couldn't play for a year and a half, got back, felt great. I haven't even been playing that long(actually playing, 4 years), but since I played so much when I could, I developed a lot of muscle memory.

Now I'm just saying this to help, but...

Hit the range more than you play. Even in a lapse that long it shouldn't feel so foreign, so you need to develop more muscle memory. After I broke my collar bone I couldn't play for a year and a half, got back, felt great. I haven't even been playing that long(actually playing, 4 years), but since I played so much when I could, I developed a lot of muscle memory.

I agree whole heartedly. My problem is that I f*&ked up my shoulder to the extent that for about 3 years I couldn't swing a club. After much time off, physical therapy, etc. I can now play 18 holes walking, hit the range for a couple hours, etc. with just the slightest tenderness. Also, the miracle of Vicodin doesn't hurt :emot-ange

I agree whole heartedly. My problem is that I f*&ked up my shoulder to the extent that for about 3 years I couldn't swing a club. After much time off, physical therapy, etc. I can now play 18 holes walking, hit the range for a couple hours, etc. with just the slightest tenderness. Also, the miracle of Vicodin doesn't hurt :emot-ange
I pulled something in my back just before the second round in a tournament and popped a vicotin the morning of. That was some of the best tournament golf I played.

Really helps you not feel the pain. What I don't get is these people who are addicted to Vicodin - when I have taken it, I don't feel "high", just not sore...

I hate taking aspirin and such before I play. I can fix a lot of errors in my swing, but it's contingent on my feeling every bit.

should I let it worry me?

Not at all. I think you should get in the car and drive up to Portstewart. I think the links terrain and the sea air will bring you back to your normal great game. Don't waste time at the range worrying over technical issues.

(ps Stop off at Tescos on the way and put a turkey in the back of the car :D ).

I feel right at home in this section. Basically, I am starting all over again due to tendonitis and the doctor telling me to stay away from pain killers. Not that I was addicted, but it was giving me digestive problems. I know I know, TMI. I am taking lessons right now to fix my flaws and to make golf less painful. I don't plan to go back to the course until I know for sure that I have some level of predictability. So far, my swing flaws have been pointed out and I am making a conscious effort to make it all right. Since Friday, there has been progress, pretty good shots, and no pain. I've gained consistency with my short irons and now working my way up to my 5 iron, and then to my longer clubs. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

If you sincerely feel that you suck in this sport, take a lesson or two or three and start all over. I wish I did nine years ago.

Nipped out for a quick nine and shot 35, don't know what happened, but just got to my normal self was hitting everything so well. Maybe it was just an off day lol.

But thanks for the reply's guys.

Think I will have to take you up on that offer IG, how does the Sunday a week before Christmas sound?

And tesco's doesn't open until 1 on a Sunday, so might have to buy it on Saturday, not that it will both you lol.

Last night at the range was the first time I have hit a ball in 1 week. Even that short layoff had an effect. The only clubs I could hit properly were a 7 iron and a 60* wedge. Everything else was either way left or way right. I guess I had some kind of timing issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520