• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

get a GRIP!

atom

Reaction score
i was told by a club maker, my hands (size 24 glove) are too big for off the rack golf clubs and i will have to change grip... How true is this?

However, club maker also says my fairway wood and hybrid club heads are quite light and advise although the grip is small for me, i should not change it because the 'feel' of the head will be greatly minimize... anyone had this problem that you have no choice but to play with smaller grip?? it doesn't affect much actually for me.. except for my irons which are heavier (steel shaft) and i should be changing them soon (grip bigger).

I used Midsized grips. It is alot about feel, but there are a few things to consider.

If you have a grip that is to small, you will tend to grip the club harder and create tension in your hands as a matter of holding onto the club. Tension is no good in golf. This is not to say go out and buy bigger grips regardless. If you have a grip that is too big, you will tend to have more trouble squaring the clubface or not being able to release your wrists through impact as well. Could even turn a fade into a slice, or a slice into a very dangerous ball. The opposite would hold true for a grip that is to small, and was always the case with me, I would tend to hook the ball alot with my old draw and a normal grip. Not to say it will automatically make your ball fade or slice more by going bigger. If the bigger grip is the correct grip, it could possibly fix alot of issues, as that less than desirable result could again be a result of gripping too hard and not knowing.

So that is kinda were the feel part I mentioned earlier comes into play. If you don't feel like your overgripping the club and hit the ball well, I'm not sure I would see a reason to change. If you ever find yourself asking "How hard are you supposed to grip a club", it may be worth testing out a bigger grip. You could always try regripping one of your clubs, or an old club with a bigger grip and see what you think. A few bucks is a pretty cheap price to pay to allow you to test it out and see if you have the right grip.

edit 1 - The prior time I got fitted, he recommend going from a Midsize back to standard. Within 2 weeks, I had cut all the grips off and replaced them with Midsized. Midsized are definitely the right grip for me. This time around, I told the fitter not to even waste his time with grips, and simply told him the grips to put on the club. Anytime I demo or buy a new club, I always have to weigh the fact that the club will feel better once I throw a new grip on the club.

I always fit grips by feel. The small amount of difference ina shot that a 1/16 of an inch in grip size will make just isnt worth the effort. With what feels good, confidence will grow, and this will yeild better results that what a static by the book grip fitting will.

I always fit grips by feel. The small amount of difference ina shot that a 1/16 of an inch in grip size will make just isnt worth the effort. With what feels good, confidence will grow, and this will yeild better results that what a static by the book grip fitting will.
This is also a big plus on knowing a competent clubmaker that takes the time to have the material. Where they can pop a grip on the club with air and say "Try this out" then easily go back. Where you can go somewhere like Golfsmith, and they may not charge for the gripping and you may save a few pennies, but they're going to hand you this little grip stub that provides you about as much information about feel as you may get if your were wearing mittens.

thanks.

funny thing is i went back today with my irons. the same club maker measured my hands one more time and the grips i have now and changed her statement, saying, on second thoughts... i do not need to change and should be able to fit me...

haha... i appreciate her honest opinion though...

I've always loved the feel of winn grips, but when i wanted to have them put on my new irons my pro stopped me, and basically said that with as hard as i swing the club, the grips would twist in my swing and make them far less accurate etc, is there merit in this? ive been looking at the new winn grips out there and they feel really nice, any particular ones i should look into?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520