• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Here's a question...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I swing a club at 100mph with my regular driver, how can I increase my swing speed without exerting any extra effort through equipment?

I can see lengthening the shaft would increase club head speed, but make the sweet spot harded to hit
I can see allowing the flex of the shaft to lessen may increase more speed, but perhaps lose some control
I could see increasing club head weight affecting SS but not sure how?
The clubhead may be more aerodynamic which may improve SS, right?
The material the club-head is made from would only improve ball speed, right?

So what other factors come into play?

I can't imagine there would be any other way outside of improved technique, or possibly delaying the unhinging of wrist.

Only other things that come to mind is working out more, or strengthening your golfing muscles and core. I know I see an increase when I work out a 3 days a week. As much as 5mph or more. I really don't work so much on building muscle, but rather more repetitions with lighter weight to tone, and strengthening the core. Also increasing flexibility and balance. Seems alot of golfers do things like Yoga or Pilate's.

I have heard a weighted club may help most as well, but again, still equipment in a sense.

I've read reports that higher end shafts (like Oziks) have increased ballspeeds with the same swingspeed, but to the merit, I have no clue. Those values might be 3mph, which would translate into 1 yard.

So, if you wanna gain 1 yard for a grand, I say do it. :D

That being said, Jayhawk has some good suggestions with the weighted club to build muscle memory, which will increase your clubhead speed some. But we're not talking Fred Funk to Bubba distances, maybe 10 yards tops.

R35

A lot of people on <cough> another golf forum have recommended the Speedchain. I would like have a higher swing speed, but knowing how lazy I am, I doubt that it would work for me, plus I wouldn't want anyone to actually see me using something so rediculous looking.

A lot of people on <cough> another golf forum have recommended the Speedchain.
Never heard of it before now. Wow, just doing a quick google and looking at it, I have visions that I would need to train my wife on effective ways of using bolt cutters so she could quickly free me and rush me to the emergency room in time. :)

For every mph of clubhead speed you can expect to achieve 2.5 yards on a solid strike. Ways to do this thorugh equipment are:

1 - A lighter weight shaft. Keep in mind it needs to be at least 20g lighter than your current shaft in order to see a difference.

2 - A lighter static weight (overall club weight). Again, you need to see a redyuction of 20g before you will notice a difference.

3 - A softer overall shaft flex/profile

4 - optomizing launch and descent angles for your swing speed.

Some some shafts seem to be better than others at helping generate speed. I have no idea why, and have not read a reasonable explanation as to why, but they just seem to do it. The tp7 and tp7+ Oziks seem to result in about 3 mph more speed. The problem is that translates to about $333 for every mph you gain. The Aldila VS proto can help, so can the Diamana's. Again you pay a little more for these, around $200.

Some clubs heads seem to consistantly produce higher ball speeds. Of the ones I have seen tested the 3 highest were the Geek Failsafe, the Callaway FT-3 and the GEEK dct, in that order.

All in all the prefect combo might generate 3-5 additional mph of speed. This will mean about 10-15 extra yards off the tee.
Of all the things mentioned, getting your launch and descent angles are the most important.

Sorry for the ramble.

PA I get that thanks, I'm just talking hardware here. Does it REALLY make a difference. As Lyle says each 1mph increase = 2.5 yards. I'm interested in getting 10 yards with exaclty the same swing.

I guess my question is:

With the same head and same weight on various shafts, is it flex or material it is made from that allow a increase and could it be as much as 5mph without sacrificing accuracy?

Sorry, I thought the question was kinda strange based on your knowledge of the game. I just misunderstood. I thought you meant short of changing equipment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520