• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How long did it take to hit 70s?

You are nobody, that's who.

That wasn't very nice. It probably won't get you kicked out, but it might get somebody's attention...
icon12.gif

I agree. This isn't "golf review"!! :( (Need to put a smiley face or something if you're kidding).

I played golf occasionally with my father when I was growing up until I was about 17 years old. Gave up golf for 20 years and started back up 3 years ago. I now practice the long game once or twice a week and get 2 rounds a week in on average. I practice chipping and putting at the house. I'm currently playing at a 9.1 due to heavy work load and neglect of the practice but I'm recently been back on my golf practice schedule and the last three rounds have been 80, 79, 78 (with the 78 being on plugged greens). I I keep it up I anticipate the next handicap revision to put me back around 7+/-. It is hard to stay in be a low single handicap if 1) you didn't play a ton of golf growing up with good instruction or 2) you are not playing a lot of serious golf with good practice in between rounds.

It seems like we are on about the same track. Are you still learning shots? Are the quality of your misses getting better? Do you feel like you understand your strengths and weaknesses better? I think these are better ways to judge your game than the score. After all it is only a score and in no ways gives you enjoyment of the game or dictates the pleasure you while you participate. For me golf is a life long endeavor not a matter of a few years.

One of my employees played golf all the time growing up. His dad owns a golf store and he played on his HS team and was down to a +2 handicap. He has played occasionally over the past 4 years since going to college. He plays to about a 7 handicap without any practice but I can tell his touch is fading. He'll probably always be a good golfer his whole life but the touch shots take practice, practice, practice to stay at the low handicap level.

You are nobody, that's who.

Quoth he who has 6 posts.

We have plenty of a-holes, retards, and dicks on this board, but all of us (myself included) do it with good measure. If this is your attitude and how you are going to treat people without setting a precedent of light humour, as far as I'm concerned, get the **** out.

TN is a really cool guy.

For me? I think I posted my first 70s after about 2 years. Tough grind from there then, bringing it down to par.

It seems like we are on about the same track. Are you still learning shots? Are the quality of your misses getting better? Do you feel like you understand your strengths and weaknesses better? I think these are better ways to judge your game than the score. After all it is only a score and in no ways gives you enjoyment of the game or dictates the pleasure you while you participate. For me golf is a life long endeavor not a matter of a few years.

I think I understand my strength and weakness, I know how to fix my problems, but my body just doesn't work as my brain orders to. That's why I asked about ages. I'm rather short (5'6"), not so strong guys, I always struggle with distance.
For me, golf is a lifelong challenge too, but I don't think I can gain distance as I get older and older. I shot low 80s on the courses par-72 6300 yds or shorter, but for >6500 yds course, I screw up.

I started playing about 7 years ago at the age of 35. I posted my first round in the 70's after about 2 1/2 - 3 years after picking up the sport and immediately going to playing 4-5 days a week. Got down to a 15. After moving up here, I went to 2 days a week tops and have yet to post another round in the 70's, and went back up as high as a 24. Ending last year I joined our club and started back to 4-5 days a week and within 2 months of doing so I got back down as low as 14 having shot 8 of 10 rounds in the 80's after having no rounds in the 80 last year prior to joining. This included two rounds at 80 on a 135 slope that I would consider my best rounds and even better than the 75's I posted on my old course which was much easier.

Right now I am around an 18 and my game again gelled very late in the year. For me it is all in the amount I play and familiarity with equipment. Had I not replaced my irons this year I likely would have picked up where I left off last year, but I am happy with the decision I made. It was my way of saying it was time to move on to the next level even if it cost me part of the year.

Learn the mental side of the game and the rest will come much easily. Most people play outside their abilities (including myself at time) and that causes a lot of trouble when you actually learn to attack a course within your range it becomes hundred times easier.

Also if you want to shoot in the 70's....work on 100 yards and in 98% of the time.

i played my very first round at 8 y.o. and seriously started playing about the age of 13. broke 80 for the first time on a 'real' course at the age of 16 and haven't looked back. am 18 now.

I usually get into the 70's by about the 13th hole.
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427