• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How many shots you would spot Tiger

Actually, I think you are right about Rob

McMillan being a really good golfer, but wrong about how well he is doing. He made seven or eight cuts out of eleven events entered. He has won three professional tournaments. His stroke average is 71.something per round. He definitely has game, and I would have to insist quite on quite a few strokes from him as well. He obviously has reason to play with confidence even though he is sort of a short fellow and only 147 pounds. He must get every bit out every shot. Guys like that absolutely amaze me, a 222 pound hunk of muscle and bone and just the right amount of lard. Believe it or not, my cap size is normal.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

His game has really improved over the last 3-5 years.

He is a very small guy, but just kills the balls. He use to win our junior events by so many strokes that it wasnt even funny.
He won the mens club C at 13 years of age. Talk about a few crushed ego's.

quality question and answers. I have got a bit lost as to where we are actually playing Tiger but regardless of this I think on any track he would kick any amatures ass off our normal handicaps. I think most good tour pros would just overpower our normal set up courses caus they hit the ball so damn far. On my course I could see Tiger driving at least 5 of the par 4's and easily hitting the par 5's in 2. I played in a scramble with a big hitting driving range pro and he just blasted the ball over the crap that we call hazards! Add that length to the amazing short game and we would be talking late 50's low 60's easily. I have played a comp off the PRO tees on a tough long course and WOW I really didn't realize just how much longer the holes played. It was a nightmare just full out long shot one after the other and I class myself a decent hitter! I had a decent day and played 7 over my handicap and that wasn't set up tough just long! So my opinion. On a tough PGA tour kinda course I am thinking for myself (8 hcp) 36 shots + my handicap. But on a normal fairly easy set up average length course I would be happy to play tiger for a fiver with a shot a hole.

Just my opinion

gobber

FINALLY!!!

I have felt like a salmon trying to swim upstream here for the last few nights, its about time some others chimed in on my side
icon10.gif

Is it 14 strokes or 36 strokes?
sandwedge

I said the 14 stroke thing origianally, then the 36 stroke was from when bigjim said that i couldnt (or any amateur) beat him with even 2 strokes a hole.

FINALLY!!!

I have felt like a salmon trying to swim upstream here for the last few nights, its about time some others chimed in on my side
icon10.gif

BigJim, what ppl are saying here is off of normal handicaps, what me and cypress were arguing against you the past few nights was u saying we couldnt beat him with 2 strokes a hole, where our handicaps we wouldnt even get 1 a hole.

BigJim, what ppl are saying here is off of normal handicaps, what me and cypress were arguing against you the past few nights was u saying we couldnt beat him with 2 strokes a hole, where our handicaps we wouldnt even get 1 a hole.

I know, doesnt matter though, I still don't think you could beat him on a tour course with 2 strokes a hole, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Mike Tyson never said much that was worth listening to, but he did have one good quote. "Everybody has a plan until they get hit." Right now you both have a "plan" and it sounds really good in your head, but the truth would be that when you step on the first tee of a tour course, its 490, par 4, fw is 25 yds wide, rough is 4" thick and greens are running at about 12-13. Tiger drills it 295 down the middle, 20 yds past you, sticks it within about 15ft and drills the putt for birdie, you would be done. You know it, I know it and you know that I know....not to get to cute
icon10.gif

I know, doesnt matter though, I still don't think you could beat him on a tour course with 2 strokes a hole, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Mike Tyson never said much that was worth listening to, but he did have one good quote. "Everybody has a plan until they get hit." Right now you both have a "plan" and it sounds really good in your head, but the truth would be that when you step on the first tee of a tour course, its 490, par 4, fw is 25 yds wide, rough is 4" thick and greens are running at about 12-13. Tiger drills it 295 down the middle, 20 yds past you, sticks it within about 15ft and drills the putt for birdie, you would be done. You know it, I know it and you know that I know....not to get to cute
icon10.gif

Ok, Jim, think about this. He's making a birdie, all i have to do is hit 3w, layup to 100 which is a perfect 3/4 sw which is my pinhunter (i hit 17 pins this past year from 100 yards), hopefully one putt to take the hole, or two putt to halve. Shorter holes i can take adv. of and try and par, but if i just keep laying up, im guna make a good putt and make a par once in awhile, and just keep making bogies, itll be an easy win. At a 1 handicap, i think i know how to keep playing shots into the fw which would be no problem at all, just keep 2 iron into the middle, 8 iron to 100, sw inside of 30 ft, 2 putt and that forces him to birdie.

I tihnk even you would agree with me its easier for a 1 handicap to calculated play this way then Tiger having to match every one of my bogies with a birdie or better.

icon10.gif

Gold, pure gold as Rock would say.

Sorry Sandpiper, I like you, I really do. But you dreaming here Kid.

Have you ever seen Tiger hit a ball in person?

When at the open I stood directly alongside the man (he actually said hello to my wife, when she called him "tigey"). when he his tee shot on the par 5 fifth at the Abbey. Now I have seen a lot of guys hit balls over the years, including a lot of pros. None looked like this. His tee shot was higher than I hit my wedge, and freaking smoked. The hole played 570 from that tee into about a 5km wind, and Tiger hit a 6 into the green (heard in the press conference later).
I have no doubt you have some game SP, but you guys strongly underestimate what Tiger can do, both in terms of his game, and what effect he will have on yours. Other major winners crumble in his wake, hardened pros, I just dont think you would stand a chance at even 2 shots a hole.

Gold, pure gold as Rock would say.

Sorry Sandpiper, I like you, I really do. But you dreaming here Kid.

Have you ever seen Tiger hit a ball in person?

When at the open I stood directly alongside the man (he actually said hello to my wife, when she called him "tigey"). when he his tee shot on the par 5 fifth at the Abbey. Now I have seen a lot of guys hit balls over the years, including a lot of pros. None looked like this. His tee shot was higher than I hit my wedge, and freaking smoked. The hole played 570 from that tee into about a 5km wind, and Tiger hit a 6 into the green (heard in the press conference later).
I have no doubt you have some game SP, but you guys strongly underestimate what Tiger can do, both in terms of his game, and what effect he will have on yours. Other major winners crumble in his wake, hardened pros, I just dont think you would stand a chance at even 2 shots a hole.

Thats what I am talking about!!! Its one thing to see him hit a shot on TV, but when you see him hit a ball in person its a whole other story. The flight and sound are just...different.

I know as a 1 handicap you have some game and know how to manage a round. But golf and tournament golf are one thing, this is TIGER. As Lyle says he makes other major winners tremble. Do you remember the PGA Championship last year? He was in the lead going into the final round, played damn well to. He didnt really hit his driver though and was still in great position of the tee, same at the British.

I think the one thing that nobody seems to be talking about though is his love of competition. All you would have to do is let him read this thread (which is a funny though in itself) and he would no doubt beat you by, i dont know, five strokes maybe... He lives for competition and LOVES to win, no matter who he plays.

I've seen Tiger hit many shots in person at the Deutchebank in Boston. It's other worldly. I mean you sit on a tee box at the ropes and watch 3-4 groups in front of him and the guys smash the hell out of it. He comes and makes the other guys look like your local pro.

The dude won the US Open by 15.... face it, you'd have zero chance getting 14 strokes. 36 strokes is another story. At 1 HCP provided that the course was set up for normal tournament play, and weather was not a factor, I'd put my money on the 1 HCPer

Unless you have played a tour course set up in tour course set up conditions you have no clue.

I am 4 hdcp, and a solid 4 at that. I played Glen Abbey the Monday after the Canadian Open and was eaten alive. The rough was unlike any I had ever played, 5 full inches of the thickest garbage I had ever seen. The greens were linolium, and the fairways were like the greens at my club. Try hitting your 3 wood off a green it aint easy.
Honestly I think a few here are a bit dellusional about their skill level. A low hdcp player at your club means nothing.
I grew up playing golf with Rob McMillan (sp), he was a phenom around Winnipeg, and was well known all accross Canada. He was a + hdcp at 12 years old and I believe was a plus 5 at one point. He never broke 78 at the Canadian open, and is still struggling on the Canadian and Nationwide tours.
He had more game than you could ever imagine and isnt even close to being good enough for the PGA.
But, believe what you will.

This is so true.

The kid who won the VT amateur won by something like 8 shots, he goes to the US Am and doesn't make it out of qualifying round. The winner of the US Am then goes to Augusta and misses the cut.

That kid from VT better do well in college, because he won't be playing golf for a living and he's easily the best in the state.

It really was an eye opener seeing Tiger Play in person. I knew he was good, but seeing him live made me realize just how much game he has. His shots just looked different than everyone else. The rest of the guys hit the ball as well as we could only dream of, but there was something about the way the ball came off Tigers club that was special. I saw him hit a 2 iron that never went as high as the roof of my 2 story house yet it went 260 yards. It was the coolest shot I had ever seen in person. It was totally hammered and went almost dead straight. It looked like a missle. Seeing him play that day was the coolest day of my golfing life.
It also made me realize that winning my club championship would not lead to bigger and better things.

Lyle, im surprised of your opinion on this as you are a very intelligent person. Ill admit if this was on a tour course, id have to play really well with 2 strokes, but i believe i could break 90 without the biggest difficulty in the world as i have already played USGA setup courses in said condition (played Gold Mountain where they held the 06Pub linx) before it was held. The week we were there the USGA guys had been finishing their "experimentation" of how they were setting the course up, my group played their tees (they were asking as many ppl as they could to play it) at 7100ish yards, rough 4 inches long and thick, and greens running at 13. I shot 87 there last summer.

But Lyle, if you think id lose to Tiger with 2 strokes on a normal course, you must be toking up or something.

I do think you would lose.

I think you would crack beyond belief. In happens when people play him especially when they know they have a limit on how bad they can play.
The minute he hit his first tee shot a little voice in the back of your would go "gulp, oh oh".
I am not by any means saying you are a bad player or a mental midget. Its just Tiger, he has that effect on people.

This is why the Tyson quote is so fitting. Everyone has a plan until they get hit. He first tee shot would be that "HIT".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520