• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hybrid shafts

hypergolf

Reaction score
I custom ordered Titleist 585.H with stiff Aldila VS Hybrid 80 from a local golf store and waited for almost 4 weeks to receive it but they screwed up and ordered the Aldila NV Hybrid 85... They were pushing the product to me saying that there is not much difference between the two. Of course I didn't accept and demanded for a reorder but was hoping to hear from you guys if there is really a big difference in terms of feel, ball flight, back spin and etc. It really sucks because I have to wait another 4 weeks in order to get the VS Proto Hybrid...

I am coming from Taylormade Rescue Dual TP with stock Diamana Blue so was hoping if anyone could do a comparison for this as well for both VS and NV hybrid. Please rank and comment on the 3 of the above mentioned hybrid shafts. Greatly appreciated.

Well, there's a difference of about $60 between the cost of them for starters... ;)

If I remember correctly the NVS is designed for a higher trajectory than their NV shaft and has been around for a few years. The NV Proto is designed for a lower launch and is one of their latest shafts, so has the benefit of newer technology and design. The VS Proto seems to be put exclusively into high-end clubs it seems, whereas the NVS appears in all sorts of clubs for all skill levels.

From what I read on here, it seems the NV Proto is on a totally different level to the NV and NVS, although they're perfectly fine shafts themselves. I guess the difference is like you buying a box of ProV1s and finding it's full of NXTs - same company, ultimately they'll do almost as good a job in their own right as the ones you originally thought you were buying, but they're still *not* what you wanted.

Hope that helps!

I would have taken my money elsewhere. These guys have no clue what they are pushing.

If you still can, get online with Edwinn Watts or something like that and get what you want. Then, go down there and show those goofs that you got your club without some 4 week wait. The club YOU wanted in the first place.

R35

I would have taken my money elsewhere. These guys have no clue what they are pushing.

If you still can, get online with Edwinn Watts or something like that and get what you want. Then, go down there and show those goofs that you got your club without some 4 week wait. The club YOU wanted in the first place.

R35

Yup... Didn't pay them a single cent but now I am also having a change of heart. Might not order the 585H but might try the Mizuno Fli CLK...

The VS proto 80 hybrid shaft is imo the best hybrid shaft on the market. The NV85 is average.

Dont fall for their BS.

The VS proto 80 hybrid shaft is imo the best hybrid shaft on the market. The NV85 is average.

Dont fall for their BS.

Lyle,

I found your posts in general very informative. This one is a bit vague for me. I like to decide, if you like, think in terms of facts rather than just opinions or at least consider them together. I value you opinion and I hope you will not fall into the categories of those who just offer opinions without facts.

In another post you stated yourself that you did not understand why people in general did not like the NV shafts. Comment like: "The NV85 is average. Dont fall for their BS." contribute to such views.

I have an NV85S in my Nickent 20* Hybrid. It is pretty good. In fact I like this combination so much that I would not change it. This of course does not make the NV equal to the VS proto shaft!

While I am happy to take you word for the VS proto being a better shaft in general, I would love to hear from you how the VS proto 80 would outperform the NV85S. Also, how should I interpret "average"?

I have to admit though that I did not like the NV85S in the Titleist and Cleveland hybrid heads. However, that does not make the shaft bad, it tells more of the heads that is installed in. IMO.

I myself did not want this shaft with the Nickent head due to my previous test with the other two clubs. Lucky for me I had an open mind to test it for what it can do for me! I think everyone should try it first then decide for themselves.

I have seen a number of posts despite being new here, that bag clubs or shafts in general, rather than give some reasons for the poster's lack of love for it. And of course the exact opposite of this when something is loved and praised to the max without giving specifics again, like ten yards longer, 20 yards narrower dispersion, etc. than another specific item.

There are clubs we love, because it suits us. Other people do not like them, because it does not suit their swing. The opposite is also true. However, this does not make either clubs bad!

It would benefit most of us if we could decide on facts, observations rather than personal favorites.

As far as I can see most people are looking for your advice when it comes to technical issues on this forum. Most people here would look for your posts as examples. Hence I am appealing to you.

I'm not sure Lyle's description of the NV as 'average' is necessarily a criticism, just a comment that it's not as good as the NV Proto, but better than about half the shafts out there.

In this situation I suspect the comment is in relation to the buyer attempting to buy a club with the best shaft available in it and being offered an 'average' one instead. Still better than being offered a 'poor' shaft, but not as good as getting the 'best', which is what they were signing up for.

[FONT=&quot]While I’m not a big fan of the VS Proto line in drivers and woods, I do feel it’s hybrid version works as good, if not better than most because it seems to be more stable with the heavier heads.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regardless, for them or anyone to try and get you to accept an NV over the VS with the excuse “They’re similar” should be flogged.[/FONT]

I'm not sure Lyle's description of the NV as 'average' is necessarily a criticism, just a comment that it's not as good as the NV Proto, but better than about half the shafts out there.

In this situation I suspect the comment is in relation to the buyer attempting to buy a club with the best shaft available in it and being offered an 'average' one instead. Still better than being offered a 'poor' shaft, but not as good as getting the 'best', which is what they were signing up for.

Sandy,

I did not say nor think that Lyle's comments were criticism. I was posting my comments because IMO it contributes to people thinking it is not worth trying it out and that people would like the VS proto better. Surely not everyone here is hitting the same heads, shafts even though I agree that there are products that if you put them under serious examination will be judged better than others.

Also, our swings, needs, budgets, tastes for look, etc are different. We all like certain clubs while we do not like others or at least not to the same extent.

And yes, Indacup, (Sorry I do not know how to quote your post here) I agree that a club should not be accepted just because the shop insists, but we could try to hit it and see whether we like it a bit, quite a lot or hate it. Make our decisions after that. My personal experience proves it that just because a shaft feels dead/non-responsive in two different manufacturer's club heads is no proof the shaft is DUD.

I would like to say it again: I like and value Lyle's post. They contain facts and opinions together that is useful to any/all of us.

The NV is great driver, the NV hybrid is no where near as good. It feels very tip soft, is hard to control, and in way over priced.
The VS proto hybris is even better than its woods counterpart. Very low torque, very tip staple and as a result is imo the most accurate hybrid shaft on the market.

The NV is great driver, the NV hybrid is no where near as good. It feels very tip soft, is hard to control, and in way over priced.
The VS proto hybris is even better than its woods counterpart. Very low torque, very tip staple and as a result is imo the most accurate hybrid shaft on the market.

Thanks Lyle, I was confident you had your reasons for your opinion!

However, have you tried it with the Nickent hybrid heads I have? I would be surprised if you still thought that they were hard to control! Why do I say that? Because beside not having the right feel, I also thought that the shaft was very hard to control with the other two heads I have tested it with.

However, I have a number of friends, including two pros, who carry the identical clubs I did not like at all! That does not make the heads nor the shaft in them right for me, but it obviously is right for them!

The Nickent heads changed my view of the shaft! I hit it straight with a great trajectory, can land it soft or make it run after landing. Can also draw it or fade it if needed. Personally I did not think that the shaft is tip soft, but it is probably a personal view when we think a shaft has a too soft tip.

Would the VS proto shaft make me love the club more? I do not know, do not see how. I have a policy, when I love a club 100%, I do not tinker with it. If I did not like it 100%, I would purchase a VS proto shaft without hesitation (because of your view) and put it in this head and try it out.

I am a firm believer in playing what works. If you like it and hit it well, leave it alone.

The NV in the Nickent is not the same as the aftermarket one. It has a softer tip, lower bend point, and plays slightly soft to flex. It may just fit your swing better than the others you tried. So like I said, dont try and fix what aint broken.

I am a firm believer in playing what works. If you like it and hit it well, leave it alone.

The NV in the Nickent is not the same as the aftermarket one. It has a softer tip, lower bend point, and plays slightly soft to flex. It may just fit your swing better than the others you tried. So like I said, dont try and fix what aint broken.

Just so I understand you correctly:

1) are you saying that the shaft in my Nickent, that looks identical to the shafts in the Titleist and Cleveland heads are different from each other?

2) The three shafts in them are identical to each other, but different from a replacement shaft I would order from any supplier if I were to break my shaft?

3) is the shaft in the Nickent head the one that in your opinion has the softer tip, lower bend point and slightly softer flex? If so, it may be true in general, but it is not representative of the actual shaft in my Nickent head.

Number 2

Most of the OEM NV shafts are different than the aftermarker retail ones.

Without seeing, or testing the specific ones in your clubs I cant say for sure what they are.

Number 2

Most of the OEM NV shafts are different than the aftermarker retail ones.

Without seeing, or testing the specific ones in your clubs I cant say for sure what they are.

Thanks Lyle, I did not know that!

I think the manufacturers are misleading the public if they make the shafts look identical and fail to warn the buyers of the known differences!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520