• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

If only I could hit irons better off the tee...

LinnJJ

I'd have done so much better in my 9 holes today. I shot a 49 on a par 31, which is 8 shots better than my previous high at this course. My tee shots on the short Par 3's were awful, but my recovery shots were on point and saved bogey (and even par on one hole) a few times. Not to mention I can't get good distance on most irons. It'd be easier if I had a set of my own, but in the meantime it's difficult to know how to adjust.

Its all about hitting down on the ball, taking a divot in front of the ball...

Once you get the feeling of hitting down and through the ball, you will hit irons much better both form the tee and the fairway/rough

it's pretty tough playing golf without your own clubs. after 8 rounds this month, i'm just figuring them out. are you renting when you play?

I just dont see using tees with irons.... 99% of the time you hit them/the ball off the ground..

I see people teeing up the par 3 iron shot, and it seems to me IF they get a good shot, it turns the club into "one club less" , with a high flight.

Seems you ask your mental game to do that 1% new thing with teeing the Iron.

(flame suit on)

I just dont see using tees with irons.... 99% of the time you hit them/the ball off the ground..

I see people teeing up the par 3 iron shot, and it seems to me IF they get a good shot, it turns the club into "one club less" , with a high flight.

(flame suit on)
Although that may be your observations, and for some people it may be true, i get more distance off a tee on average than i do off the deck(assuming decent contact for both shots).

Higher ball flight, yeah, tee-ing the ball up(even though its very close to the ground) almost guarantees grass does not get between the club face and the ball which will increase spin on the ball which correct me if i am wrong, but, more spin = higher ball flight

I believe you. but on the muni, theres a lot of 110+ golfers who just make it worse on themselves :)

(flame suit on)

i tee it up, even when it's an iron shot, just a hair higher(1/8")than the ground, just like Arnold Palmer says to. :D

and if i'm between irons, i'll even tee it higher to get less distance.

"I just dont see using tees with irons.... 99% of the time you hit them/the ball off the ground.."

Why would anyone not hit off a tee when the rules allow it? It's an opportunity to get a perfect lie every time.

You have two options. Tee the ball very low and hit down on it or tee the ball a bit higher and sweep it off the tee.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?