• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm sick of bad breaks!!!!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Forgive the following rant. It helps sometimes to write it down...

So it was the 36 hole tourney I had been waiting all Summer for. The club's Junior Scratch Cup at Portstewart and open to players with an index from 5-9. My form was good from the last couple of weeks. I had come off 2 good rounds and my ball striking has been good for a few weeks now. I even had a lesson! And yes, the putter slightly warmed up, so I kinda fancied my chances for the day. But sometimes, ye golfing gods have other ideas.

After an reasonable start I came to our par 5 7th. After a good drive I faced about 200 slightly uphill into a breeze. I decided to go for the green with my new Sonartec 3 wood. I hit it decently but slightly pushed it and it hung in the air for a while. It needed to carry a cavern in front of the green but I felt I got enough on it for it to be close. So when I came up into sight of the green I was delighted to see a ball on the front right fringe of the green, looking precariously balanced. A lucky break, I had just made it and what was even better was that I was lying 20ft below the hole. A few comments were made by my playing partners about being lucky, yeah, yeah.

Anyway when I got up to the ball, it was lying in a narrow rut, a mark made by the mower. Kinda unlucky as it was not marked off. But the ball was sitting decently, so I went ahead and played up to the hole, 18 inches for a kick in bird. When I went to mark it, I noticed that it wasn't my ball!!!! Turns out my ball was 10 yards further back lying at the top of the first step of the cavern. STUNNED. Who the hell leaves a ball on the edge of the green like that? If I had obtained relief from the rut, I would have seen that it wasn't my ball when I picked it up to drop it. I know it is my fault for not checking my ball. I even have marks on it to identify it. But I guess I was so convinced that it was my ball I never thought to check. It was white side up, so no markings were visible, (effing Nike balls!!).

So instead of a birdie I walked off with an 8 and my hopes shot to hell of the tourney!! Well, I managed to put it behind me, but tbh that wasn't my only foray. I managed to run up a 9 later in the round with an altercation I had with a fairway bunker. And in the afternoon I had a massive brain fart that cost me a 9 on a par 5 with 2 lost balls. So I guess I can't blame "playing the wrong ball" totally. But man, it's hard to bounce back from that sort of bad break.

Too bad as in 36 holes I had 4 birdies, and 17 pars, but three holes cost me 12 shots, and the winner came in 10 shots ahead of me! Kinda cool seeing a 16 year old win it. And also kinda cool playing with a 62 year old who shot the best score in the morning, a 77!!

Ah well, back to the drawing board!!!

IG being new to golf, were you penalized for playing that ball? Or do you just play your original ball?

I feel the pain IG !! .... sometimes you just know that the gods are conspiring against you. Last Saturday was case in point - played fairly well for the 1st 6 holes but couldn't buy a break .. landed in 2 divots - a lovely size 12 shoe mark in the bunker on #5, and a putt stopped dead in it's track as it hit an old hole mark as the cap was about 1/4 inch lower than the level of the green.... I just fell away to anonymity after that.

Yesterday (Captain's Qualifier) was a completely different affair, probably the best mental game I've played in years - started triple, par, double, bogey +6 after four bleedin holes !! ... hauled my ass around the other 14 holes in +1 for a 79 nett 68, with scores to carry over. Just checked h/c website to see I was shaved .8 for my endeavours ... somehow it seems worth it !

*afterthought* .... get your hands on a sleeve of HX Tour 56's, the distance control on those babies is exceptional, and greenside is amazingly good.....

Dave Ireland said:
*afterthought* .... get your hands on a sleeve of HX Tour 56's, the distance control on those babies is exceptional, and greenside is amazingly good.....

see note above on two lost balls!!! LOL.

Actually I've tried these, great ball, but tbh, little difference to me in performance on these, the HX Tours and Prov1 and (x). I'd be terrible at the Pepsi challenge. I call tell a Top Flite a mile off though!:)

This happened to me yesterday and it really took the wind out of my sails.

We teed off at 8 am with 11 players. At 8:20 I was on the second after a routine par on the first. A big thunderstorm blew in and we raced back to the pro shop. We had a 40 minute delay while a big dump put about an inch of water on the course. Two guys decided to drop out as they had early afternoon commitments.

So we started again on #1, with nine players. I had a double bogey on one and then birdied #2, and parred #3. These are tough holes. #4 is an uphill 175 yard par 3 with a narrow elevated green flanked by bunkers. I knocked to two feet for another birdie.

Back to level par.

I bogied the fifth and had pars on the sixth and seventh. Standing on the 8th at one over. Hit a good drive and needed to bend one right to left around the dogleg on my second shot. The ball bends a bit too early and strikes a tall tree in an area where there is light rough and no other hazards or deep brush, bushes etc. We search and search - lost ball. Double bogey.

Same thing occured on my tee shot on the 12th. Hammered it strongly down the left side. Ball appears to be flying along the fairway/rough line. Should be out there either in the fairway or in the light rough with a good approach to the green.

Nope -its vanished. Double bogey.

At that point, the wind went out my my sails and I finished with an 81...

Wait until next week.

Two questions, Mark:

- Who did ya get a lesson off ?

- Did he not put you back at the 7th ?!

How is the putting these days, Brav'...? :)

Andy_79 said:
Two questions, Mark:

How is the putting these days, Brav'...? :)

Andy:

I like the 2Ball putter. I am quite a bit better on the short ones. I am still statistically crappy though.

In each of my last three rounds, I have had 34 putts. 16 2-putts and 2 1-putts. No 3 putts, but not lights out by any means...It is unusual for me to make one over 15 feet...

Andy_79 said:

PHIL COLLINS - SEEMS LIKE A GOOD LAD

Andy_79 said:

NO, USUAL BLUE MARKERS. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! COURSE IS IN SHOCKING CONDITION FOR THIS WEEK. GREENS BETTER BUT STILL POOR, AND FAIRWAYS ARE NOW LIKE APPLE CRUMBLE.

You need to print out this thread and take it to that stupid square-headed English prick, Marko....!!

(Am liking the caps lock / shouting thing, btw ! :D)

Yeah, it makes good practice to always check your ball unless you specifically where it landed, and even then 1/2 the time I check to make sure.

But yeah, I understand it takes a lot of wind out of your sails when something like that happens, but you have to re-focus yourself and keep on truckin.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?