• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Increasing Clubhead Speed

Update-

I went to the range today with my Swing Speed Radar + Tempo Timer.

First driver swing, pretty smooth 106! I hit about 10 balls trying to take it pretty easy, all were between 104-107! I tried some harder swings, then full out. I could get to 112 for a few swings, but had no control over the ball. Hit the rest at a comfortable 80%ish power level, very straight and consistently 105-107 swing after swing. Interestingly, I also checked tempo, and my typical tempo before starting this regimen was 1.01 seconds from takeaway to impact. Today it was .87-.92. I did not feel quick, in fact rather lazy. This tempo does seem too fast though, based on what I've read.

I'm really jazzed about this. Increasing from low to mid 90s, to a comfortable 106-107 is about a 20-30 yard increase! Now, if I can just improve my putting! I truly believe this increase will help me reduce my handicap from my current 6 (index 4.9) down to 2 or 3. I'm excited!

I'm in two minds. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely, no, in fact is highly unlikely.

Adding muscle will certainly increase speed, but if it was that easy every pro in the world would swing a 6lb club and all swing at 127, yet the best players in the world with the best mechanics in the world, average around 112. Monty is 110 for example and Stricker is 108, Di Marco is lower than my mother, probably 75. So using the best player/mechanics as a test, it seems a bogus claim. Pros leap onto anything that will help them and after 70 years of pro tour players mucking around with everything they can find, i can't believe this guy is the first to discover it.

Hmmm... do you know Vijay Singh swings some kind of 8 lb device? I can't imagine swing 8 lbs.

Can you post some links up to the stuff your using?

My swingspeed is currently about 115 so i am going to see if i can get it above 120...

my current swing speed at 85% is about 115mph. i have gone up to 121mph, but it's completely useless. at this speed, i could not keep my finish w/o falling out of my shoes.

like someone said before, you don't have to have large muscle or lot of strength. all you need is good mechanic (which is lag, pivot, rotation), flexibility, and good core strength.

If you are swinging 105+ there is no reason to swing any harder when normal play, if you hit the sweet spot at 105 your hitting it 290+. In stead of swinging irratically at 126 mph how about 115? or 110 and hit the sweet spot, I have finally taught that to myself, I was swinging 118 for a little while, and now im 108-113 ish, depends if im trying to "groove it" or need the extra 10 yards to give myself a chance on a par 5.

Do realize that LDA and GOLF are two entirly different sports...

The pga players dont win money by hitting the long ball, they win with wedges and putters...they would have no use for this type of training

LDA guys dont even know what a putter is, all they care about is hitting the ball as far as humanly possible...this is exactly the type of training needed to hit the ball 350+ yards

I agree the LD is a different beast than the PGA; training methods are totally different, although hitting a driver and a short iron to a par 5 green will give you a lot of room not being a top putter.
My input is, be very careful of using any type of the weighted swing training device. Injury is very likely and many cases irreversible.

Im wondering what my ss is. Im probly swinging around what I feel is like 60-70%ish, carrying probly around 240-250 right now (on the range was only carrying around 210-220, but those are sh*t range balls in the cold north:laugh:).

Last weekend in Virginia I was swinging what felt to me like 55-65% and was puring it all weekend long, and showed in my fw stat hitting 91% of my fws for the tournament, distance wasn't anything special, if I were to guess my avg drive would probly be around 265-275.

So what exactly would I do in my workouts to go about gaining clubhead speed? I workout everyday, but that's just general workouts and cardio to get in better shape, I dont really think im really doing very much "golf specific" stuff. Any ideas of golf specific things I could do?

For all the guys that say "Why have a 120+ swing speed when your going to spray it everywhere"

Well, if i can get my all out swing speed to lets say 125 for even numbers(which if i swung myself outof my shoes right now i can hit 123) Then my normal swing or even throttling back i could hit 115 and throw it 290. Now if i had a swingspeed of 135 it would take even less effort, i could stay even more balanced and on plane at 115.

Its kind of like the guys with the huge diesil pick up trucks...do they need all that power all the time? No, a honda civic could pull a boat even a rather large boat...but its alot easier on a turbo diesil your going to use less percent of full power to pull the same boat

Same idea, everyone knows that(For most people)swinging your hardest you usually dont hit the ball pure, well, if i can hit 80% and pure the ball at 118-120mph SS...whats wrong with that?

For all the guys that say "Why have a 120+ swing speed when your going to spray it everywhere"

Well, if i can get my all out swing speed to lets say 125 for even numbers(which if i swung myself outof my shoes right now i can hit 123) Then my normal swing or even throttling back i could hit 115 and throw it 290. Now if i had a swingspeed of 135 it would take even less effort, i could stay even more balanced and on plane at 115.

Its kind of like the guys with the huge diesil pick up trucks...do they need all that power all the time? No, a honda civic could pull a boat even a rather large boat...but its alot easier on a turbo diesil your going to use less percent of full power to pull the same boat

Same idea, everyone knows that(For most people)swinging your hardest you usually dont hit the ball pure, well, if i can hit 80% and pure the ball at 118-120mph SS...whats wrong with that?

nothing! but do you need to send the ball 350+ yds all the time? it means that you need to be playing at relatively straight course, or playing courses that are LOOOONG like 480yd par 4. i don't think you'll find this type of course even on tour. if you can produce 125mph and smash it consistantly, you'll be running out of room real fast (unless of course you're pretty good at shaping shot too). it's not impossible to get avg swingspeed of 125mph, but the time and effort of working on other aspect of the game would be more beneficial. i guess i'm just trying to say that many people don't think it's necessary as there are other limitation besides the SS.

just my 2 cents

nothing! but do you need to send the ball 350+ yds all the time? it means that you need to be playing at relatively straight course, or playing courses that are LOOOONG like 480yd par 4. i don't think you'll find this type of course even on tour. if you can produce 125mph and smash it consistantly, you'll be running out of room real fast (unless of course you're pretty good at shaping shot too). it's not impossible to get avg swingspeed of 125mph, but the time and effort of working on other aspect of the game would be more beneficial. i guess i'm just trying to say that many people don't think it's necessary as there are other limitation besides the SS.

just my 2 cents
I am failing to recall the rule that says i have to hit my driver off the tee or the one that says i have to use 100% of my swingspeed on every swing....:D

I agree, there are few places where you can swing 350+ on the course, however, thats why i have other clubs in the bag.

Short par 4's i can bring out the fairway woods or the hybrids/long irons...plus if i have a swingspeed like that, i can hit a wedge into teh green while your throwing 6-8 iron...not for bragging rights, but even me a mid-high handicapper can put a wedge closer than i can an 8 iron(most of the time) and with more control out of the rough to boot. Its just plain easier to hit clubs with more loft.

So i have yet to see a scenario where a faster SS is bad...unless of course you cannot control the swing at that speed, which is not the case i am talking about.

I am failing to recall the rule that says i have to hit my driver off the tee or the one that says i have to use 100% of my swingspeed on every swing....:D

I agree, there are few places where you can swing 350+ on the course, however, thats why i have other clubs in the bag.

Short par 4's i can bring out the fairway woods or the hybrids/long irons...plus if i have a swingspeed like that, i can hit a wedge into teh green while your throwing 6-8 iron...not for bragging rights, but even me a mid-high handicapper can put a wedge closer than i can an 8 iron(most of the time) and with more control out of the rough to boot. Its just plain easier to hit clubs with more loft.

So i have yet to see a scenario where a faster SS is bad...unless of course you cannot control the swing at that speed, which is not the case i am talking about.

i agree, faster but also just as controlled swing isn't bad. it's just really hard to achieve that. nothing wrong w/ faster swing speed, until i get mad and.....:killersmiley: (this is a great icon... haha)

just my 2 cents

I have no plans to try to become an LDA guy. As I've gotten older, I've lost some clubhead speed as I've gotten a little older. I can't tell you the last time I reached a par 5 in 2. Additionally, I often struggle on some par 4s that require a carry over 240-250 and it costs me shots. I also play some par 3s that I don't have a club to hit, example one is 220 into the wind with OB long. If I hit driver, it has a good chance of going OB. If I hit a 3 hydrid, I can't get there.

In spite of that, I carry a 4.9 index and a home course handicap of 6. I believe 10-20 more yards will save 2-4 shots per round.

I have no plans to try to become an LDA guy. As I've gotten older, I've lost some clubhead speed as I've gotten a little older. I can't tell you the last time I reached a par 5 in 2. Additionally, I often struggle on some par 4s that require a carry over 240-250 and it costs me shots. I also play some par 3s that I don't have a club to hit, example one is 220 into the wind with OB long. If I hit driver, it has a good chance of going OB. If I hit a 3 hydrid, I can't get there.

In spite of that, I carry a 4.9 index and a home course handicap of 6. I believe 10-20 more yards will save 2-4 shots per round.

i have only played golf for about 2 years this april, and i carry 11.8 hdcp. from playing less than 2 years, i realized that distance doesn't do crap if i'm hitting my approach shots in the tree/swamp/ditch (which i visit frequently). I also realized the time and effort put into short game/accuracy/precision out weighs being able to swing comfortably at 125mph.

i'm all for accuracy over distance b/c i do have the speed. but for some, distance is a bigger factor, just not at 125mph.

i have only played golf for about 2 years this april, and i carry 11.8 hdcp. from playing less than 2 years, i realized that distance doesn't do crap if i'm hitting my approach shots in the tree/swamp/ditch (which i visit frequently). I also realized the time and effort put into short game/accuracy/precision out weighs being able to swing comfortably at 125mph.

i'm all for accuracy over distance b/c i do have the speed. but for some, distance is a bigger factor, just not at 125mph.

Aha- I have the short game of a scratch player. I often score in the low-mid 70s. I will par you to death after you out drive me. What would you do if I could stay with you, and then had my short game?

And on my home course your handicap would be 14.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520