• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Match tactics

Before the first tee negotiate a couple of "gotchas".

I like what Limp and IG said. I've never played match. I may do one day. Golf is a gentleman's game. I don't think Matchplay should be some exception where shenanigans can take place. Just go out and beat your opponent fair and square.
I'm always fair and play by the rules, I'm a nice guy and I feel like I conduct myself as a gentleman but when money is on the line, it is war. Playing head games may be viewed negatively but golf is a test of mental toughness in itself. If my mention of a water hazard bothers someone then they need to stick to casual rounds. Mental toughness is everything in a head to head match, because handicapping levels the playing field when it comes to ability.

I'm always fair and play by the rules, I'm a nice guy and I feel like I conduct myself as a gentleman but when money is on the line, it is war. Playing head games may be viewed negatively but golf is a test of mental toughness in itself. If my mention of a water hazard bothers someone then they need to stick to casual rounds. Mental toughness is everything in a head to head match, because handicapping levels the playing field when it comes to ability.
Word. :cool:

Also, "Playing head games may be viewed negatively..." Not always. It is one of the key elements in winning match play... maybe the most important one.

When you mention water hazard I say watch me smoke it over the water. Then I have to do it. That's how you shut someone up. :)

The club info, I have a teammate, like Phil and Keegan, and we caddy for each other in terms of yardage, shot type, and reading greens. I didn't know it was illegal to ask club advice from your opponent. What about yardage? I hit my irons two clubs longer than most of my opponents, such as I hit my 9 iron 150, like my opponent would hit 7. So my advice is no good in that aspect.

Also I did win my match today, texted out the pace of play thing. Their coach warned our opponents as we stepped of the first tee, that they need to remember to keep pace, and I'm a naturally fast player, so is my partner, so the first thing I told her, was that we were gonna play hella fast, and make these guys uncomfortable. So we did, and it worked like a charm, they rushed all of their shots, or at least most. I won my match 4&3, helped too that I shot a +1 36 (my best ever for nine holes in terms of over par!!) I was just hitting every thing crisp today, felt amazing! My partner won her match 1 up, and we won the four ball match 2&1. Team won too!

The club info, I have a teammate, like Phil and Keegan, and we caddy for each other in terms of yardage, shot type, and reading greens. I didn't know it was illegal to ask club advice from your opponent. What about yardage? I hit my irons two clubs longer than most of my opponents, such as I hit my 9 iron 150, like my opponent would hit 7. So my advice is no good in that aspect.

Also I did win my match today, texted out the pace of play thing. Their coach warned our opponents as we stepped of the first tee, that they need to remember to keep pace, and I'm a naturally fast player, so is my partner, so the first thing I told her, was that we were gonna play hella fast, and make these guys uncomfortable. So we did, and it worked like a charm, they rushed all of their shots, or at least most. I won my match 4&3, helped too that I shot a +1 36 (my best ever for nine holes in terms of over par!!) I was just hitting every thing crisp today, felt amazing! My partner won her match 1 up, and we won the four ball match 2&1. Team won too!
Awesome! Nice work, dude.

As for the yardage, you can ask them if they see a sprinkler head with the yardage (public information) and you can pace it off, but I don't think you can ask them to laser sight it or ask what they paced it off to. It's always best to ignore anything they talk about because for all you know, they are saying incorrect numbers loudly just to mess with you.

We were told by our coach to oblige if our opponent asks us to laser their target.

Read Rule 8-1!!! Show it to your coach. In match play, you lose the hole. In stroke play, it's a two stroke penalty.

Read Rule 8-1!!! Show it to your coach. In match play, you lose the hole. In stroke play, it's a two stroke penalty.
I think if the tournament allows GPS or range finders then it's public information. It may have to be adopted as a local rule but I know I've played in events were you were obligated to share GPS info. You still can't share info about what club you hit or the line of a putt and what-not.

I think if the tournament allows GPS or range finders then it's public information. It may have to be adopted as a local rule but I know I've played in events were you were obligated to share GPS info. You still can't share info about what club you hit or the line of a putt and what-not.
Really? That would be like having to oblige showing your opponent your course notes. Makes no sense... well, kinda like a lot of the other rules, I guess. Still, dumb.

after researching 8-1:

Advice’’ is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Information on the Rules, distance, or matters of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.

So it would appear that asking a competitor to laser a flag is acceptable. I've done it, but only during informal rounds. I would never do it during a serious game.

So it would appear that asking a competitor to laser a flag is acceptable. I've done it, but only during informal rounds. I would never do it during a serious game.

Yeah, I would be careful with that. In my case, we were all told that we were required to give GPS info. So it was more than likely a local rule. I guess they felt if they allowed GPS, everyone should be allowed to have the information.

Which is stupid. Just because some jerk can hit a hybrid well doesn't mean he should have to let me borrow it.
Lol, I like your POV. Funny thing I just remembered, they just so happened to be sponsored by Skycaddie. I still have the dorky looking polo that they gave me.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520