• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Material of choice for your putter(s)

Material Choice

• Total voters

Sunset Beach Golf

Custom Putter Maker
Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know I am a custom putter maker. I make all of my putters out of carbon steel, mainly because of the softness vs other metals. I have had a few people ask for Stainless steel putters and some people have asked for copper. I already have three models with a copper insert and I am going to add a fourth anser instead of anser 2 style.

So basically I want to know how much does the steel the putter is made out of affect your choice to purchase a putter and what is your metal of choice.

Do you like

1. Carbon Steel
2. Stainless Steel(specify type) 303, 304, 17-4, etc., etc.
3. Copper
4. Body doesn't matter as long as a copper insert is there.
5. Aluminum

I do not know if the ball comes off from any of the materials differently. Sound and feel are important. The inserts and copper are muted. ( unless it's in the old Achusnet Bulls Eye light putter or is that brass?). Carbon steel is about right.

easy...

303 Steel Surgical grade steel.

self explanatory
00000_RJ.jpg

For whatever reason, I like the GSS inserts in Cameron's Studio Style series and Red X series. I have hit a ton of different putters, and the GSS insert is by far the best feel and distance control I have had in any putter that I have tried.

If you going with a solid putter head/face, carbon steel IMHO has a slightly better feel to it than stainless, but they are close enough to where it does not really matter in my hands.

I have not hit a lot of Copper inserted putters, but the few I have messed around with have not really done anything different for me in terms of feel and/or distance control that the solid carbon or stainless heads.

Aluminum. Maybe its because most of the aluminum heads on the market are monsters or just plain ugly, but I have never liked an aluminum headed putter that I am aware of. The feel/feedback is dull in comparison of the other head styles in my hands, kind of like putting with a beer can as a head. Maybe its that mental image in my head that does all aluminum putter in, or maybe its the lighter head weights that are normally associated with aluminum heads that ruins it, but I just don't like them.

OK, maybe one exception with Aluminum heads. I would never bag it but the concept worked:
Golf Apr 07 057.jpg

Carbon steel for me! Always do a black ox in carbon, the ultimate for feel for me.

I don't know the difference in the stainless steel types. A brushed satin stainless with a copper insert would look cool. It would be especially cool to have the copper insert have Rife-like grooves on it.

I think a cool idea for a mallet style would be something similar to the Rife 2-bar but with an aluminum body, copper insert and stainless behind the ball, tungsten weights. What would happen with the majority of the weight directly behind the ball?

What would happen with the majority of the weight directly behind the ball?

MOI would be really low. Hit that one on the toe and it might go backwards!

"Copper" can have numerous meanings/personalities. My BeCu Anser 4 has a much harder feel than, say, a copper insert that has less hardening alloys. I, honestly, have no experience with a soft copper insert.

Have had zero success with the "typical" inserts of Odyssey and Ping's "G" lines.

Like the feel of the GSS insert in the Red X line.

The 316 stainless of my SS Anser 4 is still a little "hard" to the feel, after the season with my Studio Design.

I love the feel of the ball coming off the Studio Design. However, to me, feel is not the important issue. You must have a material/insert that will allow your to transition feel to distance. That has been my problem with the inset putters... distance. That was also the challenge with the Anser F, prototype I have. It has the original pixel design. I really do believe the ball comes off that insert differently, depending on ambient temperatures. (The ball does react differently with huge swings in ambient. However, I feel the Anser F has different feel in 10 to 20 degree temperature swings.)

Putters are so specific to the "putteeeeee". The same reason that finds 3-ball SRT's and Bassakwards and 8802's and Bullseyes and Ansers and Scottys and Sunset Beach putters on the same course at the same time has no definitive answer than the individuality of each player. The materials listed by the thread originator can bring up Methodist/Presbyterian type "discussons" that have no one, single answer.

My firm belief is that success with a putter must have three important components.... material of construction, head style, and length/lie that fits the player. Toss any one of those three out the door and the love affair between putter and player may be a rocky venture.

Another articulate and well thought out answer from the old guy. Good Job limp. I would have to say that I wholeheartedly second that answer.

It was close for me between Carbon steel and Stainless steel because they both look and feel great. However the lack of maintenance needed for stainless makes it more appealing for me. If there is a finish on the carbon steel putter that prevents rusting then its a wash to me.

Because I prefer (demand) a soft insert, the metal really means nothing to me. I only really pay attention to the feel of the insert.

To be honest, I really have no idea the metal used in my putter. I only that that White Hot inserts provide the feel that I desire.

I don't care what it's made out of, cryptonite would be fine if it was guaranteed to sink putts no matter how badly I read the green, :D

I've never hit a putt with a carbon steel putter. Would love to but haven't yet. So my vote was for the stainless 303.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520