• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

measuring shot distance?

Steve Balderrama

Reaction score
Hi, Newbie here. Anyway, quick question. Whats the most accurate way of measuring distance on the practice field and the course? I'd like to be able to accurately gauge how far shots have gone, but of course the flags on driving ranges are pretty innaccurate depending on where you are teeing from. Thanks!

I have a laser range finder so when I am at the range I know the real distances to the flags. That is the only way to know real distances.

obagain said:
I have a laser range finder so when I am at the range I know the real distances to the flags. That is the only way to know real distances.

Do any of those work to measure to the ball, ie, if you are practicing short game shots?

If you have an object like a flag or bucket you can get accurate it the inch measurements. I use a bushnell but some of the cheaper ones work just as well.

obagain said:
If you have an object like a flag or bucket you can get accurate it the inch measurements. I use a bushnell but some of the cheaper ones work just as well.

Hi Ob, I've a Nikon 440 rangefinder +/- 1/2yard accuracy - but I gotta say I find it near enough impossible to tag the pin from any great distance - if you also bear in mind that most pins here are black/white and the black portion absorbs the white light radar it makes it twice as hard. I usually rangefind to trees/bunkers or backwards from the fairway to the tee box (usually the trash can) or the tee box plinth....

Dave Ireland said:
Hi Ob, I've a Nikon 440 rangefinder +/- 1/2yard accuracy - but I gotta say I find it near enough impossible to tag the pin from any great distance - if you also bear in mind that most pins here are black/white and the black portion absorbs the white light radar it makes it twice as hard. I usually rangefind to trees/bunkers or backwards from the fairway to the tee box (usually the trash can) or the tee box plinth....

wtf, Davie boy?? Are ye gaun all seppo on us now? for fecks sake...

Mind you, those breeks ye were wearin' waur pretty reflective...

Ok, so you know the distance to the range flags. How do you account for the fact that you are hitting a crappy range ball?

I like to hit a ham sandwich off the tee before I start cracking range balls. It provides just enough animal fat on the face of the club to give that extra kick and distance you'd get off of a newer ball. Here, I pay 9$ for 104 range balls, + about 3$ more for the supplies to make the ham sandwich. So 14$ for 104 relatively accurate shots (distance wise) is a pretty good deal.

-

-

Disregard everything I just said.

BentGrass said:
Ok, so you know the distance to the range flags. How do you account for the fact that you are hitting a crappy range ball?

too true... so I guess the real question is how does a regular guy who can't commandeer a practice range and measure it off in yards practice short wedges and pitches from green to 100 years and get accurate measurments?

too true... so I guess the real question is how does a regular guy who can't commandeer a practice range and measure it off in yards practice short wedges and pitches from green to 100 years and get accurate measurments?
try to be the last one on the course(a cheap one) and take some shots to a green from various markers or paced distances. Normally at the end of most weekdays there is an hour or two of dead time on the course, but they still take your money if you want to play 6-7 holes

Kilted Arab said:
wtf, Davie boy?? Are ye gaun all seppo on us now? for fecks sake...

Mind you, those breeks ye were wearin' waur pretty reflective...

Right enuff
When you're into a force seven gale and rain, it is important to know that you have 149.5 yards to the pin when you reach "fer yer 3 wud".

Dave, make sure to bring that Gizmo when we play again. I have something I want to measure accurately. :biglol:

IrishGolfer said:
Dave, make sure to bring that Gizmo when we play again. I have something I want to measure accurately. :biglol:

Should've known that a thread about measuring anything would find it's way around to your tackle. :p

There is a (very pricey) GPS unit that comes w/ the downloading software for thousands of courses (not sure about outside of U.S.) Supposed to be accurate to 2 ft. (emailed them) and gives distances/yardages from a dozen of so points on every hole as well as the ability to give you the distance you hit your last shot.

Too expensive for me but somehow I wouldn't trust it anyway. Course I play on Fridays has GPS units in the carts, I've seen them up to 80 yards off!

P_102

To range your wedges, go to your local high school football field off hours (early AM, later evening) and hit your wedges there. The distances are done for you. Golf shops sell bags of imperfect and recycled balls, which are close enuf to what you play with to give you a good estimate of distance. At least 10 swings with each club, throw out the two highest and lowest, and average what's left.

Another option is to get a bunch of white hand towels/rags and find an open field. Lay them out in 5-10 yard increments starting at about 25 yards.

If you have kids who play baseball and you can get the ball in the air (and they are nimble enuf to duck out of the way of your thins ;) ), take your child along and have them shag your wedges, then call back the distances where they catch them.

For the longer clubs, find a range with decent range balls and get a laser rangefinder, as suggested above.

And if you see a thin, dark-haired stranger with a bulge in his trousers eyeing you as you raise the rangefinder to your brow, run like hell. The junk is coming out and that zipper has WD-40 on it. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520