• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My trip to Kiawah Island or...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
how I wasted $1200. :D

Actually is wasn't a complete waste: I need the CE hours to keep my license, and the lectures were great. One of the lecturers was one of my clinical instructers way back in Vet School. He is brilliant and funny; he has gone on to get his Masters, PhD, Board Certification in Internal Medicine; an endowed chair at Colorado State U; and he plays golf. The other guys were just as good.

Now, the resort. This place is huge, with 5 golf courses, including the Ocean Course, which I couldn't get to. I hacked around 18 holes on Turtle Point on Friday. We got in 9 holes on Oak Point on Saturday afternoon before the storms that knocked the Masters got us as well.

My conclusions: don't go here unless you have lots of money ($150-250 per round, $200-infinity per nights lodging) and you can play to a 15 or better. Too much wind, water, trees, & bushes for my liking. I lost 12 Callaways in 27 holes.

Food was good, but very expensive and the service was surly for the most part. Bring your own: villas are fully equiped with kitchens. Pro shop personnel and starters were nice. Hats were $25, and balls start at $12/3 pack for cheap ones.

Courses were beautiful with the exception of the greens, which had very sparse grass. And watch for Callaway eating alligators.

I won't go back until I can hit draws and fades on demand.
View from Turtle Point Veranda.JPG
Alligator.JPG
Oak Point.JPG
#15 Turtle Point.JPG

Yes it is expensive, but beautiful.

I actually played my first round ever on Cougar Point. It was so nice. My girlfriend's dad paid for everything which made it even better.

I lost a lot of balls...but overall didn't do too bad.

I'm sure I'll go back again someday once I'm better and have more money.

Just gotta watch out for gators.

My girlfriend's dad paid for everything which made it even better.

That's what I was lacking! Duh! Where can I find a girlfriend like that?

Thanks, Rock.

Thinking back on it, I really can't explain why I was hitting the ball so poorly, unless it was because I was so tense. Time was tight to get a round in; I didn't know the 3 guys I played with on Friday; the wind was blowing; and we could see the storm (complete with tornadoes) coming our way on Saturday.

Last evening I went to the range, and I was hitting everything straight, and at Kiawah I could not hit a fairway. Feck.

SiberianDVM said:
Thanks, Rock.

Thinking back on it, I really can't explain why I was hitting the ball so poorly, unless it was because I was so tense. Time was tight to get a round in; I didn't know the 3 guys I played with on Friday; the wind was blowing; and we could see the storm (complete with tornadoes) coming our way on Saturday.

Last evening I went to the range, and I was hitting everything straight, and at Kiawah I could not hit a fairway. Feck.

I've had the same problem on courses that I really anticipated playing. A golf vacation on really nice courses - and I can't hit the broad side of a barn. Doesn't happen everytime (I did card a 90 on Pebble back in '92, which was a good round for me) but on other special courses I've totally tanked it. There's not much more frustrating than feeling like you've "wasted" that special opportunity.

Anyone have a solution (and no, Rock, I'm not talking about Preparation H...)
icon12.gif

I'll be the Charleston, SC area next week. I looked at Kiawah Island online and wondered about the price, etc. Anyone know of any good, cheaper courses in the area they would recommend?

Thanks.

SiberianDVM said:
an endowed chair

Gotta be a real man to have one of those (a 5-legger, I presume?). VERY secure in your masculinity. :D

Farquod said:
Gotta be a real man to have one of those (a 5-legger, I presume?). VERY secure in your masculinity. :D

No, just 3 legs, but the middle one is LARGE. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427