• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some guidence/direction???

rvenom

Reaction score
I had borrowed clubs a while back from a friend and had to returned them so now I have the bug and need to get my own set. I used to play years ago and was not really great but now the game has been improving since I've been going every friday for the past 3 1/2 months.
Whats your take on these custome fit clone club sets like GIGAgolf and other brands I see online? It looks like you get a decent deal for the money or is a used brand set the better choice or even these box sets I see at sportsauthority. I have around 400$ to spend total so I need a full set including bag for that price? Basicly I need a decent beginner set I am a bit on the tall side 5' 11" so not sure if this really matter at this point.

Thanks

Bri

i think you should get a new set,this way you can work in your own clubs and you will know exactly what you are getting

New like one of these box sets I see at sportsauthority, or them custome fit ones from these online companies. A friend of mine got a RAM set and he already wants something better I'm affraid of doing the same thing.

Get a slightly used name-brand set from the classifieds here, at FGI or at WRX or on Ebay.

If you are just starting out again, buying an OEM set makes the most sense to me as you will probably be trading them in for a set that is better suited to you once you know what you want. OEM clubs will have trade-in value. Knock-offs, clones, or cheapo box sets at Target, Wal-Mart etc. will get you ZERO dollars for trade-in if, in the future, your club needs change.

I would usually push custom-fitting, but at your price-point, it's not even an option. At 5'11", most standard clubs will be "close enough" for you to get out and play and not hinder your development.

Was that $400 for the entire set, Driver-Putter, or $400 for irons? If it's the entire set, then hitting up FGI is definitely something you want to do to stretch your dollar. There are always decent drivers on there for $40-60 dollars that I would game in a heartbeat before anything clone, knockoff, or from a big box store.

I got my Wishon 919THI, my gamer, on FGI for $65 delivered. Beautiful club too.

If you want a set of irons, used, but look semi-new, get some cast Ping irons. The metal they make those clubs out of a nuclear blast couldn't damage.

My girlfriend's father was recently in the same boat as you. I tried to get him to look around on ebay for some used sticks but basically wanted a full set of something that would get him out on the course and allow him to have fun. He ended up ordering a set of clones from a online retailor that I steered him towards based on what he wanted. The total price for his set (driver,3w,5w,3h,4h,5-pw, putter, stand bag) was about 350 with free shipping. Will they work for him? Sure, for the time being but I am sure that as he gets back into the swing of things he will end up replacing them all with namebrand, fitted clubs.

Thanks guys for all you help, I ended up ordering clubs from rockbottom, I found the Adams Tigh lies 2008 model for 249.99 shipped to my door with help of a online coupon that gave me free shipping. Its a complete set that has everyting on it including bag for now I cant go wrong, I'm sure it beats the RAM set i amost got at sports authority... lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301