• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Never say never ......

Biggest mistake I see at the range with a lob wedge is NOT having it far enough back in the stance when hitting a full shot.Middle of stance is no good,neither is just to the right of middle,the ball needs to be RIGHT back
dave,

If you are going to put the lob wedge so far back in your stance, why not use a club with less loft in a more "normal" position in your stance? Moving any club that far back in your stance reduces the effective loft quite a bit.

Scott

I use my 60 from 50yds in to chipping & bunker around the greens. I'm comfortable with it but my god, I had some really nice burners when i started using it.

Yep, it takes awhile. Now, I can't imagine golf without it.

I have a 58-08 TM TP black wedge coming. I can't wait to try out the extra loft and stopping power. I've been working a lot with my 50 and 54, playing from a mid stance position and a slight in to out path. I was all over the stick with them yesterday and shot my best ever score. A LW is a great weapon when used correctly, that means pulling it when necessary, not for every shot/lie inside it's distance range. My biggest breakthrough... acceleration through the shot. I actually have this little voice (with an British accent) in my head, it says "Decelerate, it's shanko time". Thanks Dave.
icon10.gif
BTW you sound like Sean Connery, lol.

I play mine outta the middle of my stance dave. Then again, i also hit DOWN on my shots.

Just to add, I play my wedges from every different postion. Ball positon dictates my flight for the most part. I'll play my SW mid stance for a high shot on one end of the spectrum and them shut it down from behind my back foot for a Tom's skip stop.

"You have too much game, or at least you think you do"
icon10.gif

dave,

If you are going to put the lob wedge so far back in your stance, why not use a club with less loft in a more "normal" position in your stance? Moving any club that far back in your stance reduces the effective loft quite a bit.

Scott

Not necessarily, if it sits too far forward in your stance you'll be sweeping it more and sacraficing some distance and lots of spin.

Not necessarily, if it sits too far forward in your stance you'll be sweeping it more and sacraficing some distance and lots of spin.
Jeff,

I am not talking about having the ball too far forward in your stance. If you put the ball at the back of your stance as dave suggested is correct with a lob wedge, you are effectively hitting a club with less loft. Why is that any better than hitting a shot with a more normal ball position in your stance with a SW or GW?

Scott

Winders

The shaft is shorter so you need it farther back to hit down on it properly,plus for me you get the full distance out of the club.I hit mine very high just inside the back foot.Also,I think many players think its back in the stance when in fact its in the middle.As Jeff says,its easier to hit down and through.I play a lot of 60 yard down wedges with no wrists,this is easier off the back foot.Also,even at full on 80 yards with a 58* I will never hit with a full release,I always hold off the hands a bit for spin and control.

Go try it,seriously,you will be more consistent distance wise,get a batter flight,more spin and more control

The 60* Apex showed up today. I got it from Callaway Pre-Owned, and this thing is as new as the day it was made. :) Not even brushmarks on the chrome.

It has the standard Apex wedge shaft as did my other Apex wedges before I had the whole set reshafted with Rifles. Should I have this one reshafted with a 6.0 Rifle spinner like my other wedges?

I love my lob wedge, it's great for plenty of shots in a round, and I'm also of the opinion that if one can master hit a lob wedge crisp and clean every time, there's no wedge one can't hit.

It can be frustrating, but it can be well worth the practice it takes to make it a consistent weapon in the bag. You have to have good technique to use one.

I use my 60* LW about 8 or 9 times a round. I will lay up to its distance on par fives that I can't reach and it is very handy on the slopes around the greens at one of the clubs I belong to. It is a club that with a little practice can be launched to the moon and only go about 15 - 20 yards or can be hit 75 yards and never get more than 10 feet off the ground. Of course, I like hitting all sorts of different shots with all of my wedges.

I had a lob wedge - thought I was a golfer.

I got over it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423