• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

No Scotland Trip for Me

Sorry to hear about the trip, B. I know how excited you were. FWIW< I'm in for November. And by then, the wounds inflicted between countries in the world tourney should be healing. ;)

Sorry to hear B. My mom's businesses are both self-employment and I know how tough things can get. I wish I could commit to November, but that's not exactly prime time to be missing any school and/or being able to afford to go. Maybe in a couple of years. Wish I could go though, I'm sure it'd be a blast.

Nae goff fer the Brave Wan

Tough gig to handle Bravo. I know you were well up for Scotland and mentally you have been hitting those punched 6 irons into a strong breeze and chipping with that hybrid over parched links. Never mind, life is full of surprises and there will always be other opportunities. Go and stand in a cold shower fully clothed with a massive hangover and imagine the feeling of travelling thousands of miles to shoot a 96 round a course made of land that you couldn't grow weeds on to try an create some of the feeling that you will be missing. :p

Ireland is a much more beautiful country than Scotland. Our course are infinitely better, our woman are hotter, our beer is colder and blacker, and don't even get me started on the whiskey. Those Jocks could learn a thing or two from us Irish. So if you get things together you can reschedule for Ireland in 2007. Dave and I would be delighted to set something up. The door here is always open.

IrishGolfer said:
Tough gig to handle Bravo. I know you were well up for Scotland and mentally you have been hitting those punched 6 irons into a strong breeze and chipping with that hybrid over parched links. Never mind, life is full of surprises and there will always be other opportunities. Go and stand in a cold shower fully clothed with a massive hangover and imagine the feeling of travelling thousands of miles to shoot a 96 round a course made of land that you couldn't grow weeds on to try an create some of the feeling that you will be missing. :p

Ireland is a much more beautiful country than Scotland. Our course are infinitely better, our woman are hotter, our beer is colder and blacker, and don't even get me started on the whiskey. Those Jocks could learn a thing or two from us Irish. So if you get things together you can reschedule for Ireland in 2007. Dave and I would be delighted to set something up. The door here is always open.

Thanks for your note...and I am going to take you up on your offer. One of the guys in the group has played in Ireland at Ballybunion at said the same thing - that he loved everything about his trip. I think a 2007 timeframe is realistic...

IrishGolfer said:

I never get tired of the Scottish/Irish rivalry :)... so tell me who were you cheering for in Braveheart???

VtDivot said:
I never get tired of the Scottish/Irish rivalry :)... so tell me who were you cheering for in Braveheart???

On a technical note I lived / studied / worked / got drunk etc. in Scotland for eleven'ish years. So I guess that is most of my adult life, which makes me a Common Law Jock. We eat from the same bowl. We are kindred spitrits, I just like reminding them that when it comes to food chains, we (the Oirish) are at the bottom, bar one.

Case in point, we invented whiskey. The Jocks stole the recipe, lost it en route back to Jockoland, sorta remembered the jist of it, and forgot how to spell it. They then tell folk that theirs is the finest in the world. Yeah, right.

A quote from Trainspotting which may put things into perspective (apologies for any profanities Sling, not my words).

TOMMY: Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?

RENTON: I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the ****ing low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any ****ing difference.

In answer to your Braveheart question, I see myself as a Celt and am happy getting drunk in the midst of Scots as I am in the midst of Irish. Come to think of it, I'm just happy getting drunk. ;)

I hope that sheds some light on the matter.

IrishGolfer said:

Firstly, deepest commiserations to Bravo - feeling gutted for you as I know how much you were looking forward to the trip, and how much work you had put into it. My heart goes out to you, big fella...

Secondly, Irish, I have indeed learned a few things from Irish people and the country they live in...:D

Where to start? Whisky. OK, the first licenced distillery in the United Kingdom was indeed in Ireland. Note 'licenced'. The Irish went for a 'licenced' distillery because they were too afraid of the English to distill illegally. Scots distilled illegally for centuries before the Irish started. The true, abbreviated, history of Irish Whisk(e)y is as follows...

Paddy O'Flaherty, on the run from the English, fled to Scotland. He was given true Highland hospitality by the McChummy clan who shared their food and drink with him for several months. Many McChummys were killed by invading English as they defended Paddy. Then, one night, Paddy stole the McChummy whisky recipe and tried to sell it to the English in exchange for his freedom. The English told him to sod off as they all drink port because they are poofs. So Paddy fled back to Ireland but was caught in a rainstorm. The rain smudged the whisk(e)y recipe so when Paddy tried to distil his own, it came out bloody awful. But the Irish knew no better so they thought it was great. And there lies the history or Irish Whisk(e)y. The extra 'e' is very relevant now, given the 'e' numbers that are added to it.

Now, Ireland is indeed very beautiful. In a certain light, if you like that sort of thing.

Two Scots, two Irish and two English were stranded on a desert island after a shipwreck. They were there for over a year before being rescued. The rescue party found that the Scots had started a distillery and were lying drunk under a tree. The Irish were fighting each other on the beach. And the English were still waiting to be introduced.

More later..!

best to all..

KA

Tough deal, Bravo. I worked for myself for 16 years and eventually caved. Lots of days I wish I had that "freedom" back, but of course, there are also pitfalls...

I usually play every weekend, and the occasional half-day through the week, up into November, but I'd gladly trade a November weekend in Ohio (maybe 40 degrees) for one in Alabama. And Tampa in February is the bomb!

jc@bg said:
Tough deal, Bravo. I worked for myself for 16 years and eventually caved. Lots of days I wish I had that "freedom" back, but of course, there are also pitfalls...

I usually play every weekend, and the occasional half-day through the week, up into November, but I'd gladly trade a November weekend in Ohio (maybe 40 degrees) for one in Alabama. And Tampa in February is the bomb!

Well we would love to have you...I think having a big group here in November would assuage the raw feelings about the Scotland trip to some extent...

We are talking about doing it the last week in October or first week in November. This is our "dry season" and the temps that time of year run in the high 60's to low 70's. We have some very good public access facilities and can put together a very good quality trip at a reasonable cost...

Soulds like you have good work flexibility. I think we are going to have everyone travel in on Wednesday afternoon. We'll tee it up on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and let everyone travel home on Sunday. We hope to get players from as far as Western Canada and Ireland and they will need a full day to get back...

I have to say.....no offense to Bushmills.....but to this American, Scotch whisky is the superior product.

I hear many Scotch distillers use old Kentucky bourbon casks for their wares....go figure. ;)

Slingblade61 said:
I have to say.....no offense to Bushmills.....but to this American, Scotch whisky is the superior product.

I hear many Scotch distillers use old Kentucky bourbon casks for their wares....go figure. ;)

Sling, what drugs you on man? Don't you know what damage a slanderous statement like that could do to a man's reputation? Next thing you know we'll have that Jock back on rabbiting on about his superiour nations' brew.

You must have got a bad bottle or something (finished it already? :) ). I figured you had some Scottish ancestery in ya. :rolleyes:

IrishGolfer said:
Next thing you know we'll have that Jock back on rabbiting on about his superiour nations' brew.

You must have got a bad bottle or something (finished it already? :) ). I figured you had some Scottish ancestery in ya. :rolleyes:

Awa' and shake yer tackle at a gorse bush....again!
:prop:

Boy the Misses has me up against it now. Payback time for all that golf, doesn't she only want me to spend the week-end painting. The hardest job will be stripping the doorframes. Lucky that bottle of Lagervalium that KA donated to the cause is handy.

"Great thing about it is that you can use it all day to strip paint, and then get hammered to a bejesus belt that night on the stuff." :)

IrishGolfer said:
"Great thing about it is that you can use it all day to strip paint, and then get hammered to a bejesus belt that night on the stuff." :)

Certainly good for an early mornin' LOL....:prop:

IrishGolfer said:
Boy the Misses has me up against it now. Payback time for all that golf, doesn't she only want me to spend the week-end painting. The hardest job will be stripping the doorframes. Lucky that bottle of Lagervalium that KA donated to the cause is handy.

At least I took a bottle..! I should have known it would be too strong for the delicate Irish palate...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520