• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

offset on clubs?

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Reaction score
how does offset or little offset affect the clubs? i have no idea... explain offset to me.... is just something im just now trying to understand. thanks...

Offset is the distance between the front of the hosel of the club and the farthest part of the face. It's usually measured in millimetres.

Players that have a square face at impact need little to no offset. Players that suffer from a slice have the head meeting the ball later in the swing, and pushing the ball right (or left for a lefty). With an offset, the ball meets the face sooner in the swing and in essence "squares" the face at impact that would otherwise be a lagging face and result in a slice.

You can have offset in a putter too if you're not someone that likes to push their hands out front.

R35

Also helps the ball get airbourne quicker. Offset helps most players, Olazabal insists on it, can't play without it

good answers thanks a lot.

Personally, I have a problem with significantly offset clubs (mostly sold as game improvement), probably because of the reasons for it described by R35. It (offset) will cause hooks and pulls for me if there is too much.

Progressive offset with a small amount in the long irons, and little or no offset in the short irons is a reasonable compromise for someone if help is needed to squaire the clubface with the longer clubs.

offset often helps players get the ball up in the air too - more offset will often move the center of gravity back away from the shaft - this can cause more forward bending and you'll get a bit more effective loft compared to a similar club with less offset (more impact for woods, because iron shafts don't bend as much)

offset often helps players get the ball up in the air too - more offset will often move the center of gravity back away from the shaft - this can cause more forward bending and you'll get a bit more effective loft compared to a similar club with less offset (more impact for woods, because iron shafts don't bend as much)

Yes, but it's pretty obvious that clubs meant for game improvement normally have more offset than those made for better players.

I'm not sure of many blades that have large offset, although it would be comical to see....:laugh:

R35

You're right. I was talking more about offset woods - I find an offset wood a little easier to look at than a wood with a closed face angle. if trying to correct a slice, a clubmaker can use a higher loft and a closed face or possibly an offset head that looks a bit more square with a little less loft to help

I had a set of Macgregor 1025cm's and thinking back, they had a bit more offset than I care for - but again, you're absolutely right, there aren't many blades with large amounts of offset

I hit the ball pretty straight so offset and I aren't friends. A closed driver means left, as I play a draw to begin with. My irons have some offset, but it's very, very minimal. When I look down at something like an Adams or a Callaway, all I can think of is hitting the ball with the hosel. :laugh:

But, offset works. I made up a set of irons for my brother with a little offset from the zero cavity backs he was using, he's hitting the balls as well as he ever has. Now, if I could just get him to keep the driver in the fairway! :D

R35

I currently play MX23s which have a fair amount of offset (.150 to .240) - and am fighting the lefts right now. If i switched to, say, MP32s - which have less offset (.110 to .120) - what sort of difference do you think it actually makes?

I currently play MX23s which have a fair amount of offset (.150 to .240) - and am fighting the lefts right now. If i switched to, say, MP32s - which have less offset (.110 to .120) - what sort of difference do you think it actually makes?

I made a simlar switch from Cobra SS Forged which had plenty of offset. I was fighting 'the lefts' but since switching to the 32's the ball flight is much tighter, nice little draw, even cut when needed & at will.

Here's a question for you: If it made no difference, why would they do it in the first place?:D

If you're playing 23's and hitting pulls, and went to 32's, you'd probably notice little difference. Offset is more for those that have trouble keeping the head square and eliminating "right". That's the goal, anyways.

R35

my 'left' tendencies are mainly due to being too handsy at impact, and releasing too early - so, even though my divot starts straight, or even a little to the right - my shots have either a nice 5-10yard draw, or much, much, much more :)

just wondered what less offset would do in the real world for me.

I suppose - as any good HO, there's only one way to find out ;)

Well, a swing error won't necessarily be able to indentify what offset will do for you. If you're hitting a hard pull draw, you're either handsy or your shafts are too soft, assuming you're a swinger and not a hitter.

R35

I'm not sure of many blades that have large offset, although it would be comical to see....:laugh:

R35

Mike Weir uses a version of the R7 forged which have a large amount of offset, and not a huge cavity. They look kinda funny to me. He is a low ball hitter, and they help him get it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520