• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ordered my new bow!

I still rifle hunt...but bow hunting opens another 2 months of deer season. Plus...it's fun getting in close to those unsuspecting tasty animals.

Gun season is a war zone. Bow season is calm and quiet time in the woods.
Gun season is great if you're on your own leased land with only a few good guys you know.

That bow setup looks sweet. You've spent a little money on that. I always liked a thumb release better though. The ones equivalent to the failsafe I used to use are all well over $100 now.

Are those the broadheads that "open up" on impact? I don't like those. And not familiar with that bow. Is that a single cam like a Mathews? Cam bows were just coming out when I quit and I could never get those twin cams to roll over together.

Gun season is great if you're on your own leased land with only a few good guys you know.

That bow setup looks sweet. You've spent a little money on that. I always liked a thumb release better though. The ones equivalent to the failsafe I used to use are all well over $100 now.

Are those the broadheads that "open up" on impact? I don't like those. And not familiar with that bow. Is that a single cam like a Mathews? Cam bows were just coming out when I quit and I could never get those twin cams to roll over together.

I hunt public land up north and private land down here.

I spent a decent hunk, but in the grand scheme it's a budget setup. I could have easily spent twice what I did. There are bare bows on the market that cost more than my entire setup.

The NAP Killzones are mechanicals, so yes, the blades are deployed once the head impacts an animal. They're extremely reliable especially when you can throw a 435 grain arrow at 300FPS(meaning high KE and momentum). They've been out for quite a few years and perfected over the years.

All the Elite bows are what they call Binary cam systems, which is a type of twin cam system. Same as the mechanical broadheads, these have been perfected over the years as well. They do require tuning though.

The great thing about Elite bows is their draw cycle which is amazingly smooth. No hump at the end of the draw, just even pressure all the way back. That's kind of their claim to fame along with their limb stops which makes the wall as solid as you can possibly get. 80% let off helps in the hunting realm when you have to hold back on a deer for a while.

I'm not a hunter, and know squat about bows, but that is a good looking one eclark! Hope it serves you well!

I hunt public land up north and private land down here.

I spent a decent hunk, but in the grand scheme it's a budget setup. I could have easily spent twice what I did. There are bare bows on the market that cost more than my entire setup.

The NAP Killzones are mechanicals, so yes, the blades are deployed once the head impacts an animal. They're extremely reliable especially when you can throw a 435 grain arrow at 300FPS(meaning high KE and momentum). They've been out for quite a few years and perfected over the years.

All the Elite bows are what they call Binary cam systems, which is a type of twin cam system. Same as the mechanical broadheads, these have been perfected over the years as well. They do require tuning though.

The great thing about Elite bows is their draw cycle which is amazingly smooth. No hump at the end of the draw, just even pressure all the way back. That's kind of their claim to fame along with their limb stops which makes the wall as solid as you can possibly get. 80% let off helps in the hunting realm when you have to hold back on a deer for a while.
I liked the small grip on that bow. That's the secret to shooting them good (with relaxed hands and using back muscles not arms).

If I hadn't mentioned in here back in the 80's I won two Wisconsin state championships, one 5 state great lakes championship and took 17th in the nation out of 800 of the best shooters in the country. I owned an archery shop with a range where I could setup and tune my bows. We used to shoot out to 80 yards. If the wind wasn't too strong I could hit you in the head every shot at 80 yards. I also shot pro for one year for Bear Archery and won a money shoot. One year I shot the first perfect 300 at the Sentinel Sports Show in Milwaukee. I had 31 perfect 300 games that year averaging 55 x's (1" ring inside bull used for tie breakers). I took 3rd at the North Carolina state championship also shooting 2 perfect 300's. I missed the x-ring about 4 times out of 120 arrows. The guy that won it hit all 120 x's. He won the Buckmasters multiple times. Hendricks was his last name. I would take my bow apart, put lead in the honeycomb under the limbs, shorten the cable and bowstring (I made my own bowstrings) to up the brace height (distance from handle to string) to get it taunt like a guitar string. Made it very forgiving to shoot. Also made arrows in my shop so got the best Easton made from my deal with Bear Archery. Now it's carbon arrows and cam bows LOL.

If I hadn't mentioned in here back in the 80's I won two Wisconsin state championships, one 5 state great lakes championship and took 17th in the nation out of 800 of the best shooters in the country. I owned an archery shop with a range where I could setup and tune my bows. We used to shoot out to 80 yards. If the wind wasn't too strong I could hit you in the head every shot at 80 yards. I also shot pro for one year for Bear Archery and won a money shoot. One year I shot the first perfect 300 at the Sentinel Sports Show in Milwaukee. I had 31 perfect 300 games that year averaging 55 x's (1" ring inside bull used for tie breakers). I took 3rd at the North Carolina state championship also shooting 2 perfect 300's. I missed the x-ring about 4 times out of 120 arrows. The guy that won it hit all 120 x's. He won the Buckmasters multiple times. Hendricks was his last name. I would take my bow apart, put lead in the honeycomb under the limbs, shorten the cable and bowstring (I made my own bowstrings) to up the brace height (distance from handle to string) to get it taunt like a guitar string. Made it very forgiving to shoot. Also made arrows in my shop so got the best Easton made from my deal with Bear Archery. Now it's carbon arrows and cam bows LOL.
That's impressive stuff. I used to be really into archery. As I got older, work, family etc. I had to whittle down my hobbies. Archery didn't make the cut.

I'm not a huge target shooter, I mainly shoot targets to keep in shape for hunting season.

I'm going to do some 3d shoots this summer though. Those are a lot of fun.

I'm not a huge target shooter, I mainly shoot targets to keep in shape for hunting season.

I used to hear a lot of bowhunters say they don't shoot targets because it doesn't help them shoot at animals. This is all BS. The best hunters I know or knew always shot target archery to get them tuned in to aiming at a spot and not the whole animal and also got them familiar with estimating yardages. When I shot for Bear Archery I was fortunate enough to sit and talk 1 on 1 with Fred Bear himself and he used to shoot target archery. 3D targets are excellent practice for hunting btw. I hate to see the bowhunters pick up their bow a few days before the season, fire five arrows and think they're ready. I used to shoot at least 60-100 arrows every day.

What weight do you shoot?

Those 3D shoots are a lot of fun. I haven't been to one in years but I used to go a lot. I may just go to one this year too. My son would love that. Good idea, e.

We have some land in northern Wisconsin, and a couple of years ago my cousin and my uncle set up a nice little walk-through archery course. Had some 3D targets, some cutouts stapled to plywood, some hanging archery targets. First year, there were about 5 targets, which the black bears in the area ripped up. Since then, it's gotten bigger and better, with different angles, elevation changes, and distances.

I used to hear a lot of bowhunters say they don't shoot targets because it doesn't help them shoot at animals. This is all BS. The best hunters I know or knew always shot target archery to get them tuned in to aiming at a spot and not the whole animal and also got them familiar with estimating yardages. When I shot for Bear Archery I was fortunate enough to sit and talk 1 on 1 with Fred Bear himself and he used to shoot target archery. 3D targets are excellent practice for hunting btw. I hate to see the bowhunters pick up their bow a few days before the season, fire five arrows and think they're ready. I used to shoot at least 60-100 arrows every day.

What weight do you shoot?
My bow will be around 72lbs.

Aim small, miss small. I pick a specific hair I want to hit on the deer.

Those 3D shoots are a lot of fun. I haven't been to one in years but I used to go a lot. I may just go to one this year too. My son would love that. Good idea, e.
I want to get my daughter out to a 3d shoot too. She's doing well with her nuclear ice.

Last edited:
Two weeks today....I'm getting impatient!

Most guys are getting theirs around the 3 week period...so I got another week at least.

You mean Wally World didn't have it in stock? (Yeah, right).

ha, yeah

I got a call yesterday on my cell from a number I didn't know...looked up the area code and it was from the same place in Ill my bow shop is from...Get really excited.

Listened to the voice mail...it was a frickin consultant company wanting me to work in Chicago...Massive disappointment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520