• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pine Valley, NJ

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
Anyone on this board ever played this private course?

I watched the Byron Nelson vs Gene Littler match from 1963 on the Golf Channel the other night, and what an ass kicker of a course!

My pro, Alex McNeil, told me he had played it, but I didn't think anything of it at the time, because I hadn't see the video. But now I need to ask him what he shot (and how he got invited to play there). :D

Oh, my, I have to figure out a way to get on that baby. :(

When I used to live down by Philly, I directly worked for a guy just on the other side in NJ, who owned the company I was with, as well as 2 others. This was about a year or two prior to my playing golf, or 7-8 years ago. If memory serves me, and Pine Valley is Southeast of Philadelphia, he belonged there. I always heard stories from the golfers that worked there about this premier golf club he would take them too, but it meant nothing to me at that time. He had actually asked when I interviewed if I golfed, I guess I should have started a couple years earlier.

Probably to late to call him on the phone :)

Actually, maybe I could make a good middle man here. If you can get us both on at Augusta National, maybe I could make a call, and tell him you want to swap favors. Of course, I would have to go along to introduce the two of you:)

Rated the number 1 course in the world a million years in a row.

Rated the number 1 course in the world a million years in a row.

Yeah, I feel kind of stupid for not knowing this, but it's so private and NEVER on TV, I guess I have some excuse. :)

I just got through reading about it on Golf Atlas, and all I can say is WOW!

You must be a masochist to play this baby every week.

Actually, maybe I could make a good middle man here. If you can get us both on at Augusta National, maybe I could make a call, and tell him you want to swap favors. Of course, I would have to go along to introduce the two of you:)

If only. :(

I've heard take every hole on Pine Valley will kick the crap out of every other feature hole in the country. Wow.

If I'm not mistaken, Bravo knows a member, Doc.

Bravo, can you get us on, please, please, please?

I did my basic training at Ft. Dix. Tell them New Jersey owes me. :D

I have a friend who grew up here who lives in northern New Jersey (NYC suburbs). His Father-in-Law is a member at Pine Valley and he has played there several times.

I almost got on one year when they went but it didn't work out. I have spoken with three people who have played it and they say it is just awesome.

It is indeed in a Philly suburb in a completely urban area. They say that approaching it by car is very strange because you are driving through a very busy commerical business district with lots of stores and restaurants on a multi-lane street...then you take a turn down a two lane road and drive a short distance through a wooded area...then there are the front gates that simply say Pine Valley.

They said once you are inside the gates, it seems like you are out in the countryside and the course is fairly well insulated from the noise and hubub going on around it...Southern New Jersey is a pretty area and the club has preserved all of the trees and woods around the course very carefully.

I wish I could play it too but my chances are nil....

Frickin cold in February, too.

Not so much anymore, doc, you'd be surprised. The winters in NJ are really getting milder. Must be all the nuclear waste. The plants are growing like crazy, tho! :D

& BTW, how freakin' old was Lord Byron when he played that match? I caught the end of it, and he was tagging the ball pretty good....

I think that was a 1962 match, the year after Gene the Machine won the US Open, and Nelson was born in 1912, so that would make him about 50.

I think Littler was really kind of nervous early on, as he hit some crappy shots, including some that caused him to take a 7 on a par 3, albeit a very difficult par 3. On the back 9, he calmed down and started hitting some beautiful iron shots. His tempo was perfect.

I think that was a 1962 match, the year after Gene the Machine won the US Open, and Nelson was born in 1912, so that would make him about 50.

I think Littler was really kind of nervous early on, as he hit some crappy shots, including some that caused him to take a 7 on a par 3, albeit a very difficult par 3. On the back 9, he calmed down and started hitting some beautiful iron shots. His tempo was perfect.

Yep, early 50s was my take--and outdriving Littler on most holes. Since he quit playing competitively when he was what, in his mid 30s (34 I think) that was really pretty impressive to me. Kinda gives us old farts some hope.

Or is it Great Expectations? :D

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427