• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Peeps

So my FiL has an old set of Ping Eye 2+ irons 2 iron to SW (10 irons) red dot. He's looking to off-load them. Talk to me about these irons.

What is red dot? Can it be adjusted (black I think is standard) - is there a Ping page outlining what's what?
How much are they worth? Decent condition, ping shafts and new'ish grips.
Should I experiment with them? Or should I just help him get rid of them?

So my FiL has an old set of Ping Eye 2+ irons 2 iron to SW (10 irons) red dot. He's looking to off-load them. Talk to me about these irons.

What is red dot? Can it be adjusted (black I think is standard) - is there a Ping page outlining what's what?
Red dot is 1* flat and most likely they can be adjusted back. Some builders might not want to as they are older and have an increased likelihood of breaking, but I wouldn't worry about it. Or you can send them back to Ping and they will adjust them for $17+ shipping both ways for the set. That's probably what I would do, they will also clean them up and update their system and serial # so it matches the new color dot.
If you go to their website there is a form you can fill out with all sorts of adjustment/refurb options.

I've never done this but have been close several times.

Those are probably worth $150-200 based on condition. Matching serial numbers?

If Eye 2+, they probably have the KT shaft. (Gold shaft band.) That shaft is fairly stiff, but has an extremely thin wall. Where the shafts would completely fail at the hosel in the Zings, they would sometimes "bend" in the Eye 2+ series. Usually, a slight bend just above the hosel is noticable if one really looks them over. Also, check for any kinks/binds anywhere else on the shafts.

As Jim said, the red dot is 1 degree flat... for that era of club specs. Understand that today's OEMs seem to have slowly migrated to a little more upright as "standard". Compare a Mizuno "standard" lie angle to Callaway or Cobra "standard". So, depending on what you are playing, you might even need to take the red dot to a blue dot... 1 degree upright... to match today's clubs.

The "+" series should be bendable 2 to 3 degrees with no problem. If they were mine, I'd send them to Ping. Ping bends clubs with a rubber mallet instead of the more typical bending machine. They know these clubs and will be quite honest about the chances of metal fatigue that could result in a snapped hosel. Freight from Ireland to the U.S. might be prohibitive. I'd rather sell them to someone else than hand them to a "self-shingled" club jockey to bend.

If the shafts are in good shape and you can get them to Ping for lie adjustment, they would make an excellent set to play. If you're going to sell them, keep in mind the sand wedge has significant stand-alone value. I'd price them at $200 w/SW or $175 w/o SW. Anyone would be "capital S stupid" to take them less SW. But, you might get $50 - $75 out of the SW if you sold it separately.

Thanks guys, good answers. Hmmm, I might swing 'em first for shits and giggles and then decide.

Last Tuesday, I visited my daughter and her family at a local 4 -season resort about an hour and 1/2 away (Massanutten). My SIL and I played 18 at the lower course and I bagged the Eye 2 irons for the day (took 5-SW). Even with the stiff steel ZZ Lites, those irons are still freaking magic. If PING would ever sell that head design in modern lofts, I would pay whatever they were asking for a set in TFC graphite. PURE PING POON!

Last Tuesday, I visited my daughter and her family at a local 4 -season resort about an hour and 1/2 away (Massanutten). My SIL and I played 18 at the lower course and I bagged the Eye 2 irons for the day (took 5-SW). Even with the stiff steel ZZ Lites, those irons are still freaking magic. If PING would ever sell that head design in modern lofts, I would pay whatever they were asking for a set in TFC graphite. PURE PING POON!
I located a pristine set of Mizzy MP64's this week. Was ready to take the Zing 2's and trade them in on the Mizzy irons. The "bling" look of the Mizzy irons is so tempting. So, as a "goodbye", I put the Zing 2's in the bag today. I have no idea why I don't bag them full time. There is no way I could hit those Mizzys any better than how the ancient Zing 2's performed.
Ping is still King!!!

I located a pristine set of Mizzy MP64's this week. Was ready to take the Zing 2's and trade them in on the Mizzy irons. The "bling" look of the Mizzy irons is so tempting. So, as a "goodbye", I put the Zing 2's in the bag today. I have no idea why I don't bag them full time. There is no way I could hit those Mizzys any better than how the ancient Zing 2's performed.
Ping is still King!!!

I think (for me at least) it's all the offset and the sole design. I hit them so freaking straight and high it inspires more confidence and enables me to just let the swing happen. My G10's are just as accurate but are lighter and easier on my joints. The Eye 2's feel more solid than any other design tho.

P.S. - don't trade the Zings in.......if you decide to part with them, call me or subsonic first - one of us will match or exceed the trade-in $. ;)

I don't think they even need to be modern lofts. I prefer the i3 blades though.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a set of i3 blades or s59's and get the isik's on to my brother, so we can play together more

Still cannot believe how well the Zing 2's have come to life. I striped two 3-irons, today, that there was no way I should have hit. I haven't carried a 3-iron is a long time, let along hit one well. I stuck some great iron shots into greens.
Now, I'm thinking about just sending my G20's to Ping to have the lie flattened a little from where they are and keep them as a backup to the Zing 2's. Who needs G30's or whatever comes out next year? OTOH, I did see some great sets with "Senior" shafts in them in a shop earlier this week. One of these days, I'm going to have to move to "noodles" in the irons. All my irons are "S" flex, now.

Still cannot believe how well the Zing 2's have come to life. I striped two 3-irons, today, that there was no way I should have hit. I haven't carried a 3-iron is a long time, let along hit one well. I stuck some great iron shots into greens.
Now, I'm thinking about just sending my G20's to Ping to have the lie flattened a little from where they are and keep them as a backup to the Zing 2's. Who needs G30's or whatever comes out next year? OTOH, I did see some great sets with "Senior" shafts in them in a shop earlier this week. One of these days, I'm going to have to move to "noodles" in the irons. All my irons are "S" flex, now.

I'm putting the Eye2's back in the bag for tomorrow's outing. My G10s need a timeout. The stiff steel shafts are heavier but I can't really tell the diff in flight or distance....just feel. I can't seem to tell much diff in performance from stiff steel to senior graphite - just feel.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back