• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Portstewart "Baked"!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some shots from Saturday 31 May at Portstewart. Our course hasn't seen rain in the best part of 6 weeks. In fact we have had a glorious spell of weather. Interestingly the greenskeeper has watered the tees and greens (usually frowned on by the link's purists) but as you can see from the fairways they have been bleached. The ball is running forever.

1. Hole number 2 at Portstewart - 380 yards. Look how bleached the fairway is!! Drive down to a valley and then hit approach to an elevated green on left (in shadows). A tough tee shot and 2nd shot, which you can't afford to leave short. This is an iron off the tee, which runs down to leave a 7/8/9 irons to green. Sounds simple but par 4 is a decent par on this hole. It is very unforgiving and very easy to run up a big number.

2. Hole number 9 - 360 yards. Andy_79 posing for the portrait. Not how green the Greens are compared to the ble4ached fairways. I have never seen it as bad as this. This is a short par 4, requiring a good drive to the plateau fairway behind Andrew. You can't make it out but the green is severely sloping from back to front. You don't want to be above the hole.

3. Hole number 12. A short pitch hole (155 yards) downhill. Here is an action shot of The Big Man's swing. He left this one on the front edge and burned the hole for a birdie. Lovely backdrop of the river.

4. Hole number 18 (430 yards). Here's yours truly hitting my approach to 18 (gotta love that shirt!!). I had to try and hook a low running 7 iron to thread it round a bunker between me and the flag. I overcooked it. As you can see it was a lovely day indeed.
P5310538.jpg
P5310540.jpg
P5310541.jpg
P5310546.jpg

You lucky sun ov a gun, I'd love to live and play sum where as nice as that!!!

On a side note how much like Don Donatello (from Big Break) do you look like in your last picture, the side on view shot??? Or is it just me???

Some more...

Approach shot to number 8. This is an iron off the tee, to a dogleg with the approach to a difficult green. This is index 3. See how bare the lie is, (like playing in a carpark!!!). I tried to hit a wee punch into the wind with an 8 iron and successfully pushed it into the greenside bunker on the right (unseen). Poor shot!

Green at 16. The guy in the distance plays off a 2 h/c. He is a master of the short game, and he pitched from 40 yards to 3.5 feet and holed for a par! No problem. Again notice how bleached the ground is compared to the greens. btw In the background you see the 1st tee. You also see some diggers! We are getting a new clubhouse and they are remodelling the first hole, so that the tee will push it to even more of a dogleg. On the laft you can see a banner for Tullamore Dew, the sponsor of a big Amateur Golf / Drinking Tournament that takes place each year over 4 courses, including Portstewart.

Andy_79 in all his glory!! Not sure why he is posing with his driver! Fairly boring outfit, standard golfer issue. No charisma, needs a bit of colour injected into his wardrobe.
P5310539.jpg
P5310544.jpg
P5310545.jpg

You lucky sun ov a gun, I'd love to live and play sum where as nice as that!!!

On a side note how much like Don Donatello (from Big Break) do you look like in your last picture, the side on view shot??? Or is it just me???

Cheers Bud. On the DD geezer, I have never seen BB so I can't possibly comment. Does he swing like a pro? Oops that could be taken several ways.

MG

After you mentioned that I really have to agree. I couldn't picture who IG looked like before that. :)

IG is built a little more muscular though. DD from BB is a whimpy sort. :D

Last one of me, actually taken a few weeks ago by my FiL. Playing at 9.45pm, ah, isn't the Summer great!
IG Sunset.jpg

That's a great photo - love the way it captures the moment that the sun gently dip its toes into the cool sea at the end of a long, hot day.

I know you know but you really are a lucky man, 'tis a wondrous setting.

Wow, your definitly right about that course being baked. I looked at the thumbnail of the forst picture before I read anything and thought that I saw a canyon

:eek:

Haha. Good shots there, Marko. Fairways are the most burnt I have ever seen them. Unreal. I hit a great approach shot after that pic. was taken, too...:)

Looks like a sweet place to play.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427