• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pulling a grip...

ezra76

Reaction score
Is a real pain in the a$$!! :laugh: There was some epoxy stuck up in this VS Proto and it came loose. I couldn't get it out without pulling the grip and taking it out the butt end. I've got no grips left so was determined to get the Superquad grip off the old shaft. I tried everything from jamming a coathanger up the grip to snapping an old TV antenna, rigging up a makeshift funnel out of a piece of Coke bottle and "pouring" in some mineral spirits. Eventually I think the coathanger and a serious wrist workout got it free. It's on the VS now and I'm going to install it in the QuadTP in a few minutes. I don't recommend pulling a grip that's been taped on but it can be done. :)

It can be done, but between the effort and a GPTV grip costing like 2-4$ depending, its not worth it.

Why didnt you just cut it off and put a new grip on?

Because I didn't have a new grip here at my house and it's 7:30pm and a borderline hurricane outside. :laugh: I had to cut the old grip off to get that chunk of expoxy out of the shaft. I suppose I could have waited till tomorrow to buy and install a grip but I want to hit this thing tomorrow. I've got the R7425 with the Graf Blue, this QuadTP with the VS and an R7425TP with a Rombax 75 in it. I'm not sure I really want to even hit the 425TP though, it's like a 9.5 condition without a mark on it and I'd like to keep it that way.

You just have to have the right tools for the job.

Friend of mine has a tool that can get the grip off in less than 30 seconds and can save the grip every time. Well, I say every time. I have never seen him ruin one.

Perhaps I will get some pics of it to see if you guys could come across something similar.

So the "right tools" do not consist of a coathanger, a TV antenna and Super Big Gulp straw? :laugh:

So the "right tools" do not consist of a coathanger, a TV antenna and Super Big Gulp straw? :laugh:

I'm afraid not.:)

However I will give you an A for effort, and thinking outside the box.

I've done it with a coat hanger, mini-screwdrivers, mineral spirits, and patience, but it's really not worth the time
I may pick up one of those V-groove tools (V-GROOVE GRIP REMOVER) the next time I place an order with golfworks/smith, but I won't waste the time messing around with grips and a hanger anymore

I'm all about putting them on with an air compressor now - even if I were to run out of grips, I can pick one up on my way to the course and blow it on in the parking lot just prior to a round and it will play just fine

I'm all for cats asses, but be careful not to inject yourself with solvent using that thing

also, the weather is crazy - I'm pretty excited to have electric again
I'm sure the ball will be blown all over the place tomorrow morning - should be fun

I'm all for cats asses, but be careful not to inject yourself with solvent using that thing

Yes, caution is required. It works so well I am surprised they sell them so cheap.

also, the weather is crazy - I'm pretty excited to have electric again
I'm sure the ball will be blown all over the place tomorrow morning - should be fun

Fortunately no power loss here. I did drive the Freightliner over both the Newport and Jamestown bridges around 12:30 today though, that was fun. Going down the Jamestown was actually the worst. I already had the flashes on, going down in 3rd just to keep the driveline in control of the drivewheel but had to go in the middle of both lanes just so nobody would pass me on the left. Truck was getting blown so bad the tires were skipping and I didn't want to risk putting someone into the median.

I think it's supposed to clear up nicely tomorrow. I may try to play at Triggs in the afternoon... with 3 drivers maybe. :laugh:

Yes, caution is required. It works so well I am surprised they sell them so cheap.

Those work great..we had one here...but I'm so clumsy (most recent was dried epoxy in my hair), that was an accident waiting to happen :laugh:

I prefer air..and if the grip refuses to come off with air, we cut her off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520