• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rediculously long hacks?

The pond or the woods.

I'm sure your one of the few that doesn't know someone with that kind of distance in their four and five irons. And if you really don't, number one, no one you know has hit a three hundred yard drive on a flat hole, and number two, you must not play with anyone younger than 40.

I don't hit 300 yard drives, but my 200 yard club to the green is my 3-iron.

You might could get there with a 5-iron if you have some ridiculously strong lofts on your irons.

Any actual evidence of this?? I've only played for about 6 years, but out of the 40 or 50 people that i have played with in my time, maybe 5 of them are even remotely close to fitting in this category. I play with about 10 people on a regular basis and most hit 5 iron 200 yards, and all of them have an iron or a hybrid that they hit more than 200 yards.

Im interested to see an actual source that isn't compiling data on senior citizens that confirms this.

The growing gap: driving distances are skyrocketing on the PGA Tour. So why is the average golfer being left behind? | Golf Digest | Find Articles at BNET

http://www.popeofslope.com/downloads/therealdifference.pdf

Took a total of 5 ins. to dig these up. I personally believe these avgs may not be totally correct, but I have seen ALOT of golfers who fall into this category and shorter.

Just thinking here....

I'm a fat old hacker who struggles to break 90. I'm willing to play any of you 300 yard guys heads up if you give me a drop 230 yards from the box and call it my drive.

How does $10 a hole sound?

I'd take that bet, but you'd have to be willing to play from a 7000 yard course with a tough slope rating. One ball gets dropped in the rough and one in a fairway bunker. The other 12 you can place where ever you want 230yards from the tee box.

I'd take that bet, but you'd have to be willing to play from a 7000 yard course with a tough slope rating. One ball gets dropped in the rough and one in a fairway bunker. The other 12 you can place where ever you want 230yards from the tee box.

That's not the deal..."Normal" course, usual playing conditions, you hit your 300 yard drive, I drop 230 yards down. No qualifications, conditions or restrictions.

I thought it was 4.25"?;)

And scoring ability has nothing to do with pounding the ball a mile. I have seen folks who can rip the cover off a ball yet couldn't break 100 on their best day. Others who hit it short but had killer short game ability were shooting par or better.

But I have also played with the opposites as well, folks who can pound it & yet still score well. Jake & Dane are a couple of them. And have played with short hitters who sucked miserably all around.

I couldn't agree more!
I do think a little bit of length is always an advantage though. Some people play the game to massage their ego by pounding 14 drivers and calling 300+ yard drives in the air while the ball goes OB.
But if someone can hit the roughly 280yards and had some decent sense they could easily break 90 if they just do some work on their partial swings, chips and putts, and learn when not to hit driver ( for some this may be a few years if they are spraying it bad )

One thing I think thats contributing to the longer distances is the way people are learning or being taught the game now. Where most of us more seasoned golfers were taught years ago to swing easy and let the club do the work. Nowadays they are teaching new players to swing and hit the ball as hard as they can. Once they learn to make good contact, then they work on accuracy. I've even heard this said on the GC.

Totally different from how I was taught. I grew up watching the older pros with their effortless looking swings, trying to emulate them. These new golfers just taking up the game are watching Tiger and Bubba Watson trying to rip the cover off the ball and swinging out of their shoes.

My deal is, You go ahead and drive; 245-260 is pretty good. I'll drop 230. You realize I get 14 perfect lies at 120-170 out.

I see what you are saying but, you're missing my point as well, I think. I shoot in the 70's already. My putting average per round is just under 30. I rarely three putt. I get the ball up and down for par about 2/3 of the time and can break 80 only hitting 3 greens in regulation. You can have 14 prefect lies from the fairway and I think I will still win if you are in fact a "bogey" golfer. I would guess that the majority of your strokes lost are not from off the tee but from being unable to turn 3 shots into 2. Both of us will still have to get the ball in the hole from where we are off the tee. I believe that I will be more successful at that.

Regardless, it would be fun to find out.

You might could get there with a 5-iron if you have some ridiculously strong lofts on your irons.

How can it be so hard to believe that someone is two clubs longer than you without having some ridiculously strong lofts?

I'm messing with wire hair up there because I know that I can hit my 4 iron 200-210 down the fairway. I plan to carry it about 190/195 when hitting into a green. I hit a 5 iron about 180/185 carry into a greeen and 190-200 down the fairway.

I do play with people that can carry the ball a lot farther than I can. I generally beat most of them.
I am one of those people. The huge difference between my game and gw's game is he just does not have blow up holes. We played on Saturday and we roll up to a pretty short par 4. I hit 4 iron, and GW hits 3wd about 5 yds or so past my 4I, guess who had a better score on that hole? He pars the hole and I think I made a bogey because of putting. We are pretty close distance wise on the driver, but GW gets roll out on his drives, and mine are almost all carry. That par 4 illustrates the difference between someone who shoots in the 80's(me) and a legit 70's shooter(gwlee)

That's not the deal..."Normal" course, usual playing conditions, you hit your 300 yard drive, I drop 230 yards down. No qualifications, conditions or restrictions.

You need to be specific if you are trying to raise a point!
I never veered from normal playing conditions; like lets go out when it's lightening or something. I'd play sunny and no wind no probs.
What is a normal course? 6000yards? So you can have 270 left into the par 5's from the fairway to get there in reg and only 100 left in to the par 4's?
6600-7000 yard course is normal! Courses in the 5500-6200 yard range are by definition modified to suit high handicapped golfers.
What's with getting 100% of your drives in the fairway? I'm assuming no one hits every fairway so I'm totally confused by this scenario.
You can have every drop if you have legitimate proof of your handicap.
We play 6600 yards and we go $25 a hole. Per hole, not A Hole. LOL!!!

I am in fact a bogey golfer, par's, 1's & 2's. Rare bird or triple.

I drive about 200, long is 230. Outside 170 I infrequently am on, usually chipping for bogey. Inside 140 usually on with 20' plus. 2 putts is norm, 3 if the first is a long way off, around 10' about 1 in 5 will fall.

I'll get you when I drop for a perfect lie and optimum look at the green from within my comfort zone. On par 5's I'll hit 2 7i shots for on in reg. You might take me by a few strokes, but I'll be on in reg most holes and shoot 70's.

I expect VT and I will get together sometime this year and try it out (we both travel a bit) and have enjoyed playing together. You're welcome to join.

I see what you are saying but, you're missing my point as well, I think. I shoot in the 70's already. My putting average per round is just under 30. I rarely three putt. I get the ball up and down for par about 2/3 of the time and can break 80 only hitting 3 greens in regulation. You can have 14 prefect lies from the fairway and I think I will still win if you are in fact a "bogey" golfer. I would guess that the majority of your strokes lost are not from off the tee but from being unable to turn 3 shots into 2. Both of us will still have to get the ball in the hole from where we are off the tee. I believe that I will be more successful at that.

Regardless, it would be fun to find out.

I don't think you can qualify shot distances with the numbers stamped on clubs for several reasons.
One is mfg's are making lofts stronger and stronger. My 6i is 24* and my pw is 44*. On top of that I can deloft my club at impact more than the next guy and effectively turn my club another two clubs stronger. Add being one or two clubs legitimately longer already and I may be hitting as much as 6 clubs less, maybre even 7 clubs if i'm hitting a hybrids with more mass than a normal iron.
FWIW, I think golfers should view shots as trajectory and dispersion. Like my 200 yard shot flies high and and only rolls 15ft. It is +/- 5yards distance and the dispersion is 15 yards left or right. or my 200 yard shot is low, carries 170, +/- 15 yards distance and my dispersion is 5yards left more often than right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520