• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rifle Flighted vs Rifle Stepless

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ok, my take on the differences between these two shafts is a follows:

Flighted: Long irons have a different kick point to allow for better launch of the ball. Mid irons are the same as regular Rifle and the scoring irons have a more precision type shaft in the for shot-making. Frequency matched.

Regular Rifle: Standard flex throughout the set, frequency matched.

Anyone have any experience with the Flighted shafts? I've hit many Rifle shafts in my life, but not one of them was from the Flighted series.

Any info would be appreciated.

R35

Frequency matched as in pured by themselves,or by an indepenadant company? Do they release any stats to prove this works? Just curious

HI R, how's it goin' ?!

I have 6.0 rifle flighted shafts in my Taylor Made 300 series forged irons and I wholeheartedly think they're the bee's knees. Great weight to 'em, feel solid, look great - as great as irons shaftss can look - and help impart a strong, penetrating flight that is unrivaled by any other iron shaft I have tried. I think they are fantastic, to be honest. Hope this is of help to you, chap :)

• Staff
Dave,

The come frequency matched as a set. You can then order specific shafts for specific clubs - 1 iron, 2 iron, SW, GW, ect.

Andy, thanks for the note. You say you play 6.0, do you find those stiff? I'm trying to equate to a S300 DG shaft, which I'm told the Rifle plays a bit better (stiffer) on average. I'm not a huge hitter, but the regular R300's just don't cut it, yet i don't want to be borderling X-stiff by comparison. I'm thinking 5.5 might do it.

Any thoughts on the 6.0 vs 5.5?

Cheers,

R35

They term the 5.5's as being 'firm' and the 6.0's as being 'stiff.' They are a smidgen heavier than true temper dynamic gold, so may feel a tad stronger or firmer because of it. There ain't a whole lot of difference between the two. Would say the 6.0's would be a few grams heavier in weight, too.
Andy

• Staff
Mental note. Thanks Andy.:)

R35

Nae bother, chief. Give them a try somewhere, lad. Defo a big difference between them and dynamic gold. In my eyes, anyways.....:)

• Staff
To me, the Rifle stepless and DG S300's felt the same. I didn't feel much in terms of weight difference, and they both felt just as solid as the other.

The Flighted are something that have gone untested in my hands, which sucks.....but I'm thinking of having a go with them for next year...

R35

Another difference between the 5.5 and 6.0 is the bend/launch profile. 5.5 is Mid launch/Mid bend point and the 6.0 is Low Launch/High Bend point. I currently play the 5.5's in my set of irons and Hybrids and really enjoy them, but I am thinking of putting in DG S300's in the next set in an effort to lower my ball flight a bit. I have changed my mind about 10 times in the past two months and I am still debating which to put into my iron heads I have sitting in my workbench drawer. I have another set of uncut 5.5 individual irons just waiting to be installed, but everythime I go to cut them I have second thoughts. Oh the dilemmas of choosing the right golf shaft.

ualtim said:
Another difference between the 5.5 and 6.0 is the bend/launch profile. 5.5 is Mid launch/Mid bend point and the 6.0 is Low Launch/High Bend point.

Ulatim,

I thought that the Flighted series was exactly opposite of what you're saying here. They are dedicated kick for each of the irons. The 3,4,5, are low kick, for higher ball launch, the 6,7 and 8 are normal or mid to low kick and the scoring irons 9, PW and SW are mid kick for control and precision.

Am I way off base here? Correct me if I'm wrong, please...

R35

So, on a continuum, it would look something like this:...?

<--Whippy crap--------R300-5.0----5.5--S300-6.0--etc-->

Does a TT Sensicore factor into the DG standard/flex at all? Or is it the same as the non-sensicore version?

S300 DG and S300 Sensicore are exactly the same in terms of feel and weight. (Actually, S, the Sensicore is 3 grams less for a S300...my bad there..)

But I agree with you're little chart for Rifle Stepless and DG shafts...not sure about the Flighted series, however...

R35

Rockford35 said:
Ulatim,

I thought that the Flighted series was exactly opposite of what you're saying here. They are dedicated kick for each of the irons. The 3,4,5, are low kick, for higher ball launch, the 6,7 and 8 are normal or mid to low kick and the scoring irons 9, PW and SW are mid kick for control and precision.

Am I way off base here? Correct me if I'm wrong, please...

R35

You could be correct on that, the bend points listed were for the original Rifle 5.5 and 6.0. I do believe that you can only get the flighted in sets, so the different launch profiles is most likely correct.

I also have Rifle Spinner 5.5's in my 52, 56, 58, and 60 degree wedges (only two in the bag 52 and 58) as they are a different profile and play a bit softer for more feel on partial swings. So far, I really like the feel on the partial shots, but feel as though they are a bit too soft on the full swing. I am not sure if I would put them in my next set of wedges.

Precision RIFLE® FLIGHTED™ SERIG
P><UL>An advanced version of the enormously popular Rifle iron shaft that tailors the shaft's bend point to individual clubs through the set.
Lower bend points in the long irons make it easier to get the ball airborne, while higher bend points in the short irons allow for lower trajectories and better ball control.
Frequency Coeffecient Matched by electronic calibration with the Rifle¹s proprietary internal and external design. Bend Point: Progressive.
</<
/P>
OK, I borrowed this from the Golfsmith site for a description on the Flighted Series. Looks like it was exactly as you described Rockford.<AN>

Thanks 'Tim.

Funny how it's so tough to find concrete info on Rifle shafts. The Precision website just sucks, in my opinion.

Thanks again,

R35

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35