• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Satisfied with what you have?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to PGA Superstore yesterday and after looking at a whole slew of things I realized that I am more satisfied with what I have than I thought. I looked at a lot of irons and although I liked a couple I realized I really like mine. I like my putter, but I did see a W/S putter that I really liked and may go back and get. Should've gotten it while I was there since it was going for about half of it's normal price. I've been thinking about going with a 52/56/60 set up and I may, but I do like the wedges I have. When the covert comes out I will be checking it out. I like my driver, but we'll see if Nike can unseat it. I carry that Maxfli 3w just because I have the space in the bag, but it really doesn't do anything my 2h can't so taking that out would make room for the other wedge setup. I left the store with nothing and only wish I had gotten one thing.

Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with my setup. I've played largely the same clubs for the last 5 or so years, save for a couple of failed putter experiments. Every once in a while I feel like I want to upgrade something, but I never feel like something new will really improve what I have, so I always end up deciding to spend the money elsewhere. About the only thing that I change up anymore is the ball. I've been liking the Z-Star from Srixon, and the Pro-V1 is always good.

Nute, I'm really happy with my bag. My watershed moment was going to a club fitter a couple of months ago and having all of my shafts replaced & frequency matched. I now laugh at the marketing guff about faster, longer. I hit my first 300m drive during the week on my home course's index 1 par 4 (400m long). I can't recall if there was a tail wind (there could have been) & my natural draw may have helped but the shaft is working beautiful & I'm hitting far more balls out of the sweet spot. I can't imagine replacing my irons until face wear starts to appear. The only space in my bag is perhaps for a 3 wood but I'm eagerly waiting for the VR Covert's release. It'll be great to be able to work out whether a 3 wood or 4 wood loft is better for me on course (without the expense of buying different clubs).

"Hello, my name is Limp and I'm a golf club ho'"!! Since the early 80's, I seem to always have been looking for something to change/replace in the bag. It is extremely difficult to admit the bag should really be left well enough alone. Almost brings tears to my eyes to say it. I want.... I want a... I just have to head to the golf store and get a.... I'll play so much better with a.... And, I just don't know of anything out there that would actually improve my game. I finally must accept the fact the arrows are not the problem. It finally IS the Indian.

"Hello, my name is Limp and I'm a golf club ho'"!! Since the early 80's, I seem to always have been looking for something to change/replace in the bag. It is extremely difficult to admit the bag should really be left well enough alone. Almost brings tears to my eyes to say it. I want.... I want a... I just have to head to the golf store and get a.... I'll play so much better with a.... And, I just don't know of anything out there that would actually improve my game. I finally must accept the fact the arrows are not the problem. It finally IS the Indian.
That's a pretty darn new driver and 3w you have there.

For me it happens every winter. After having played the season I see a need and try to fill it. I've probably been playing less time than anyone here and have owned more clubs than most. I finally am getting close though.

Nothing wrong with my wedges, but i've been thinking about the wedge thing because I go from a 47*PW to a 54*SW to a 60*LW, and I only ever touch my 3w if i'm having such a "stellar" round that it doesn't really matter anyways (trying to adhere to the 14 club rule and fit 52/56/60). The 3w can go at the drop of a dime because the 2h does what I need.

I'll get my iron's lofts and lies checked and if need be brought back to the correct specs from Wilson, get 'em regripped and they are keepers.

I really like my putter, but every year I hit a point where it'd be refreshing to swing a different putter even if only for a couple rounds. I may go pick up that W/S putter... sweet as hell(see the W/S 8883) and only $49 brand new. Putters need to know that their replacement is just waiting for them to ef up.

The driver... I also like my driver and probably wouldn't get rid of it in favor of something else. I have never spent a large amount of cash on any club(s), usually buy old models or used and trade something in to make it even cheaper. I might just be one of the suckers for the Covert though. As I said though, the Cleveland will still hang around in case there needs to be a competition for the starting position.

More than satisfied, I figured out a long time ago it'd not the club but the idiot holding that makes all the difference.

That's a pretty darn new driver and 3w you have there.
Sure is!! Mid season finds! Got talked into trying a VR-S Nike driver early season. Even posted a thread, since I have sworn not to play anything Nike. The VR-S played okay, nothing spectacular. Have a good friend who manages a large golf shop. I've also never been a fan of Taylor Made. However, he talked about all the RBZ drivers they had sold and coerced me into replacing the VR-S with the RBZ Tour. (The coercion was a straight across trade that took no money out of my pocket but got the ugly Swoosh out of the bag!) Folks can say with the .830 COR, etc. there's no real difference between drivers. It may be the white paint. It may be the green 'racing stripes'. It may be the shaft. I don't know what it is, but this RBZ driver has been impressive.
I had not carried a 3-wood for some years. Still have the old HiBore 2-wood in the basement and that spent many seasons in the bag. I had picked up the R9 5-wood from a used bin a season or so ago and it worked quite well. So, was able to pick up the R11s 3-wood... cheap... and rounded out the woods in the bag all TMAG. The 3-wood is 15.5 degree and I have it jacked up to the higher loft setting, I think it's 16.5... almost a 4-wood loft. The RBZ driver has been tried on all settings, but plays best for me at the standard 10.5 loft. The R9 5-wood is 19 degrees. Not playing TMAG since the Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon days, frankly, I'm impressed.

The irons are 1995 vintage. The hybrids were all purchased or traded for from used bins. The Callaway hybrid was on sale in a used bin at Golf Galaxy, during one of the days they gave additional discounts on used. I believe I paid $19.95 for it. The Adams hybrids were in the used bin at our course pro shop and I used gift certs from the Members Tourney. The White Ice #7 came from Callaway Pre-Owned duing their Black Friday sale last year (2011), like new condition, certification paperwork, shipped to my house for just under $50. I still have the #7 belly putter in the basement, but it's in "time out".

Im pretty dang happy with my bag.

Driver going anywhere. That shaft head combo fits pretty well.

Irons i just got from doc are my absolute favorite set I've hit thus far.

Wedges have been good for a while.

Putter has been good for a while.

My three wood, well, its a love hate relationship. I have hit some absolute bombs, some fantastic get out of trouble shots, and some shots that make me want to break this club.

Same situation with my TEE hybrid.

Typically I don't use either of them. I can reach 200 with my 5i pretty consistently, so the gap to my Driver isn't huge. Even less if Im hitting my 4i and 3i well that round.

Score! That W/S 8883 putter I was eyeballing @ PGA Superstore for $50... I just landed a mint one from the bay for $35.50 shipped. Like I said, I actually like the Cleveland putter I have, but there needs to be a backup at that position.

I also think I have an obsession with W/S products. Not because I like being a label whore, but because their stuff is sooooo under rated. I am not the type to have a whole bag of one brand, but I think I would seriously have no problem having a whole bag of W/S. The stuff is that good. I'm eyeballing the FG Tour wedges too for that change in wedge setup I was talking about. It doesn't help that Golfsmith has them for $50.00 brand new through the store or ebay (+$7.00 shipping or just in store). Those wedges are milled across the whole face, not just the groove area and are so pretty. It may contribute to my liking W/S so much that the stuff is as good if not better @ half the price usually, but even at comparable prices I honestly like their stuff better (excluding drivers).

Score! That W/S 8883 putter I was eyeballing @ PGA Superstore for $50... I just landed a mint one from the bay for $35.50 shipped. Like I said, I actually like the Cleveland putter I have, but there needs to be a backup at that position.

I also think I have an obsession with W/S products. Not because I like being a label whore, but because their stuff is sooooo under rated. I am not the type to have a whole bag of one brand, but I think I would seriously have no problem having a whole bag of W/S. The stuff is that good. I'm eyeballing the FG Tour wedges too for that change in wedge setup I was talking about. It doesn't help that Golfsmith has them for $50.00 brand new through the store or ebay (+$7.00 shipping or just in store). Those wedges are milled across the whole face, not just the groove area and are so pretty. It may contribute to my liking W/S so much that the stuff is as good if not better @ half the price usually, but even at comparable prices I honestly like their stuff better (excluding drivers).
I need to start looking more at Wilson, I think you're right they are very underrated!

I need to start looking more at Wilson, I think you're right they are very underrated!

I'm tellin ya man. I don't know about the drivers and I don't really care for the Di series (GI and SGI). They make that half and half shaft I wouldn't mess with. However... basically everything else they make is sweet as hell. The Ci's, FG's, putters, wedges, and woods/hybrids are so nice. They make premium balls that I haven't tried yet, but if I make it back to that Superstore I will because they have FG Tours/X's $17 a doz. for "factory blemish". In Wilson packaging brand new.

My wife's boss gave me a classic old leather Wilson carry bag. One of my goals is to fill that bag with some FG59's or maybe some old fluid feels and some other Wilson stuff. Not as my main set, but as a thing of beauty.

I'm tellin ya man. I don't know about the drivers and I don't really care for the Di series (GI and SGI). They make that half and half shaft I wouldn't mess with. However... basically everything else they make is sweet as hell. The Ci's, FG's, putters, wedges, and woods/hybrids are so nice. They make premium balls that I haven't tried yet, but if I make it back to that Superstore I will because they have FG Tours/X's $17 a doz. for "factory blemish". In Wilson packaging brand new.

My wife's boss gave me a classic old leather Wilson carry bag. One of my goals is to fill that bag with some FG59's or maybe some old fluid feels and some other Wilson stuff. Not as my main set, but as a thing of beauty.
The FG series irons look great and I have been kickin around the FG Tour balls, I think they can be found pretty cheap on eBay too!

I am pretty happy with my irons but am thinking about new wedges.

How heavy is that putter? I had an odyssey putter in that same style but it felt to light, even with messing with the grip and adding lead tape. Couldn't ever get a good feel for it.

How heavy is that putter? I had an odyssey putter in that same style but it felt to light, even with messing with the grip and adding lead tape. Couldn't ever get a good feel for it.
I don't know the ounces or anything, but to me the head felt just a touch heavy. I think that is for two reasons: 1)my putter is a blade style while the Wilson is a half mallet, and 2)I have a Winn Jumbo pistol grip on my putter while the Wilson has the stock grip which is about the size of the grips that come on the Method putters, (slightly larger than standard size). That said, it was not as heavy as the two ball I had before. I putted with it in the store for a half hour or so and really liked it. I like the hosel style just for a change.

Check ebay or Golfsmith for those wedges. I think i'm going to get some.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520