• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Struggling with my driver

Maybe I'm just a tad "old school" here but is it possible that with the influx of hyper-technological analysis equipment at our disposal that we may just be over-analyzing this just a tad?

Sheesh!!! I mean, think about it....

Grip your club with precisely 78.925% grip strength with the third and fourth finger of the non-dominant hand while executing a firm overlapping grip not to exceed 89.56% with the other.

Stand with your feet precisely 91.44 cm apart with your forward foot angled out exactly 23.22 degrees from center.

Glide you back-swing up on a 27.88 degree arc over your back being careful to only allow no more than 7 degrees of wrist-break.

Take careful measures to ensure your hips don't "swing" or "sway" but rather, execute an exact 15 degree rotation front-to-rear while mentally playing the "flight of the Valkyrie" at 4-4 tempo in your head.

Pause for .0723 milliseconds on the pinnacle of your backswing to permit an opportunity for a buddies to take a cool "action shot" of you for posterities sake.

Remember to only breathe in 66.27% of your lung capacity and slowly exhale through your left nostril at a constant decompression rate of 5.25% cfm squared.

Crisply execute the forward swing on an exact reverse path of the aforementioned 27.88 degrees to center while ensuring your hips don't rotate beyond .0026mm of the circumference of a Guinness beer tab.

Remember to keep your eyes fixed at precisely .000425mm behind the 3rd dimple from the bottom on your golf ball (not the cart-girl's ass).

At precisely .379 milliseconds after impact with the ball begin rotation of your hips on follow-through to a point no to exceed 67.825 degrees opposite of your starting position.

During this time it is appropriate to begin swearing at the ball-in-flight.

Always remember to maintain a "frozen" in the uppermost backswing position so as to allow any last-minute spectators the opportunity for a photo of you in your immaculate splendor.

OR...............

Read Hogan's Book. Live by his principles.

If at first you don't succeed... Drink through it and try again. :)

While I am sure that you may have the correct equation

You are not accounting for counterspin south of the equator, and this is critical in your set up.:)

Davebud said:
You are not accounting for counterspin south of the equator, and this is critical in your set up.:)
Ahhh right. I'm north of the Equator. That would explain my Hook. :)

I've always found that once I get the "rhythm" down, I swing much better. This is for both irons and the driver. Basically, I actually begin my downswing before my shoulders have completed the turn. It's going to feel like your moving before your backswing is complete, but I've found this to be rather consistent in my swing. I think this is what "name" referred to as the coil. I feel this allows for the appropriate movements in both upper and lower body. Hit the range and try it out. Let me know how it goes.

Highline,

What the heck are you thinking putting an avatar like that up? I don't read a damn word in your posts, I just can't stop staring at that ass. Ridiculous!

It may sound kinda counter productive, but try to slow down your swing. I used to try to kill the ball everytime. I had the world's worst slice and not nearly as much distance as I knew I should be getting. I dramatically slowed and controlled my backswing and then explode through the ball. This has not only cured my slice but got me some added distance.

Try it with a bucket of ball at the range. It may take a seeral swings to get used to it.

So does this sound right, keep the club as close to the ground on the take away then when I get to the top of my backswing start my hips turning forward and then the rest of my body will follow?

I Think
By keeping your club close to the ground you're widening your swing and in my opinion aswell as your hips turning your weight should start to transfer and then your arms should drop down to your side.

Not quite what I a doing

My arms and Shoulders start about a half a second before my hips, and to me this makes sense, if my shoulders are coiled 90* and my hips are 45*, then my upper body should start first and catch the hips coming around to correctly time my acceleration through the ball. This may not be perfect technique, but my results are as near perfect as I can imagine me hitting the ball. I know with the sit ups, pull ups and deep knee bends I am doing, I will continue to see results increase, but at 290 straight and 320+ long I feel like I am doing pretty good right now. Side note here, I finally got down to my target weight, this morning I was 175 lbs.:) Not bad at 6 feet tall.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I played yesterday and really noticed the difference with my driver, I still hit some bad ones but a few were good which was an improvement.

Woosey said:
what did you concentrate on doing James?

Just slowed it down and concentrated on getting my hips turning, I'm still not consistent enough but its progress.

I also cut my back swing down.

I lost 10 strokes to par because of my Driver last round. I went to the range and found setup and swing plane is almost always the trouble.I have a strong grip so I take it slightly outside the line on the takeaway. A slight pause at the top and a fluid balanced downswing. I never hit it so good. Can I take it to the course:mad: Who knows but flying it 230 with a slight draw is fine with me. I can Tee it high or low as long as my swing remains in sequence.:miz:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?