• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

teeing it up at Chambers Bay today

niblick

Reaction score
...and i don't have to pick up the tab. :)

Chambers Bay Golf Course - University Place, WA

it's being considered by the USGA as a possible US Open venue, so i'm really excited to check it out. i haven't played very many pure links courses, so it should be a chance to play some creative shots. looks like it's going to be a perfect day weather-wise. i'll see if i can get some pics.

:smilie_wi

Looks AMAZING.

But I saw some trees :D

How you manage to get on there for free?!

Lucky bugger, bring a camera!

Wow, what a day.

The course: Bandon Dunes excluded, the greatest piece of architecture I've played. The whole course invites you to be creative, gives you options, and then calmly hands you your ass if you make a mistake. It was a blast. Tons of elevation change, big sweeping doglegs and sloping fairways. If you get a flat lie in the fairway, say a prayer of thanks.

The greens: Slow. The whole course is fescue, and in the case of the greens it's going to be another year before the roots are long enough to allow them to me mowed properly. The greens are very firm and don't hold shots, but are slow once you get it on the surface. Combined with the big mounds that RTJ puts in the greens, this made for a difficult day on the greens, but I found myself not all that bothered by it.

The day was made all the better because my caddie happened to be a pro caddie who was on Rosie Jones' bag for 7 years. He was awesome - I got to find out what it's like for the pros to have someone do everything for them. All I had to do all day was walk, hit shots and take in the beauty of the course. I can't imagine playing that course for the first time without a caddie.

One thing I didn't think about until it was all over: On a course with no trees, there's no shade and lots of exposure to the wind. Makes it tough to stay hydrated, and I got a bit more sun than I usually do.

I shot 49-43 for a 92 that I was thrilled with. Didn't expect to keep it in double digits, so the back nine was a pleasant surprise. Here's a couple of crappy cell phone pics of the view down the hill from the 7th green. Oh Sandpiper: one of my subcontractors was picking up the tab.

In short, yes it's expensive and immature, and I can't wait to go back.

View attachment ai10.tinypic.com_6h8bmsh.jpg

View attachment ai18.tinypic.com_2m67nvc.jpg

Thank you for posting pics! Considering your handicap, I'd say you played awesome on what appears t be a tough course.

Thank you for posting pics! Considering your handicap, I'd say you played awesome on what appears t be a tough course.

Yeah, my course handicap from the whites was 24, so that 92 was 4 under for me. I drove the ball great all day which took a lot of pressure off my game. I had a mid iron into a couple of par 5s and still managed no better than par. lol

That looks like a great course, and sounds like a great day!!

That's what it's all about, right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427