• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Test to see how well you are striking the ball

Its the philosophy in general...the wind does not affect my iron flight all that much. I am a pretty solid iron player. I actually had 160 yards into a heavy wind and up hill today, flushed a 6 iron to 14 feet so I was pleased with the way I was hitting the ball. It drew about 10 yards because I naturally play a draw and everything in the wind doubles or triples.

I understand that, but unless the wind is constant, you're going to have a wide dispersal. Taking your example, if you aimed 10 yards right expecting the wind to help your draw, and the wind died as you were hitting, or gusted up even more, you could've been anywhere from 8 yards right to 10 yards left.

Anything hit treetop height or more on a windy day around here is just luck, good or bad. There's no way to predict where it'll land. My counter example is a 4 iron I hit a couple weeks ago on a 160 y par 3. There was a 2-3 club wind in my face when I picked the club, but it dropped still when I hit it. Wound up going right over the flag... by 30y.

This test makes no sense to me. Does your wind blow straight and constant? It certainly does not do that around here. All you are doing is adding an uncontrolled and effectively random variable to your experiment. Unless the wind is constant, you could set a robot out there hitting 6 irons and still have a wide dispersion.

I wouldn't feel bad about that, if I were you. YMMV.

on the atlantic coast of ireland when it blows, it blows hard and generally constantly enough... it can gust harder but rarely drops...

whilst obviously not completely uniform and constant....when its blowing strong its constant enough to perform some sort of test and obviously you're not going to get them in a 10ft circle but they should be in the same field...:wow:

on the atlantic coast of ireland when it blows, it blows hard and generally constantly enough... it can gust harder but rarely drops...

whilst obviously not completely uniform and constant....when its blowing strong its constant enough to perform some sort of test and obviously you're not going to get them in a 10ft circle but they should be in the same field...:wow:

You wanna see IG's place Irish !! ... when I last played the Championship course the wind was into you @ 40mph on 17 of the holes I kid you not !!

Same where I live in Cape Breton...I play the course with no wind maybe 2 times a year.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520