• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The course at Yale...a preview

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1924, a 700-acre tract of swamp and woodland was given to Yale by Mrs. Ray Tompkins in memory of her husband. Under the supervision of Charles Blair Macdonald, the renowned golf course architect, champion golfer, and co-founder of the USGA, plans were made for an 18-hole golf course. With a budget of $400,000, Macdonald, in collaboration with Seth Raynor and Charles Banks, designed a masterpiece.

Today, the Yale Golf Course is recognized as one of the finest examples of early American golf course design. Large deeply bunkered greens and narrow rolling fairways are the core of Yale's penalizing character.

agraphics.fansonly.com_photos_schools_yale_galleries_facilities_g_coursea.jpg
In 1988, Golf Magazine ranked Yale as 71st among the 100 most difficult courses in the world. Many recognize the layout as the best collegiate course in the nation. Two of the holes- the 432-yard par-4 fourth and the 238-yard par-3 ninth - have been ranked among the 100 most difficult holes.

The Yale course has been the site of every significant state championship, two USGA Junior National events, the 1991 NCAA Eastern Regional championships, the 1991 ECAC Men's Championship, and the 1992 ECAC Women's Championship. During the NCAA tourney, only 21 subpar rounds were recorded of the 360 played during the three days. The course has also been the home of the Nike Connecticut Open.

The Prospect Hill Golf House: The clubhouse, a gift of the Prospect Hill Foundation, was dedicated on September 29th, 1984. Herb Newman, the architect, designed a contemporary structure that blends with the surrounding forest land.

Within the building, vaulted ceilings and expansive windows offer magnificent views of the course and seasonal foliage. A large dining room over-looking the third and fourth holes is the focal point of the clubhouse. A sun-lit garden patio and a deck adjoin the main dining room. The unique hexagonal conference room, with a table to match, offers a tranquil place for meetings. These rooms are home to Widdy's, a restaurant that serves gourmet food and fine wines in this serene setting.

A full-service pro shop, manned by a P.G.A. staff and stocked with the latest golf fashions, high tech-equipment, rentals and repairs stands ready to help golfers through their day.

238 down hill or up hill......that is a disgusting yardage for me since I don't carry a 5 wood. Hitting a 1 iron into a par 3 isn't pleasant either.

I am looking at the holes....looks like a tough test. Really tough greens.

I will be bringing extra bottles of MD 20/20 after looking at these pictures. Looks fairly tought alright.

BRING IT ON!!!!

IrishGolfer said:
I will be bringing extra bottles of MD 20/20 after looking at these pictures. Looks fairly tought alright.

BRING IT ON!!!!

No bother to ya Irish, just remember you're not playing for yourself you're playing for yer country, If ya win yer one of us, if ya lose ....... well ahem.... let's not go there :D It looks an absolutely brilliant course, not a place a man with my putting woes would go ... enjoy big time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520