• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

These guys made me sick...

I'd be thrilled to get a round in around here in 4.15. 6 hour rounds aren't uncommon if playing on weekends. It can get quite torturous.

Dave,
With all due respect, it's not about getting riled. Unnecessarily slow players are being discourteous to everyone behind them. One slow player can stack up groups all the way back to the first tee. I am a very patient person and don't have a problem with beginners who are all over the place even though they may be slow. But the ones like Bravo describes are being rude. I was playing last Friday behind a twosome that were driving us crazy, ignoring any semblance of etiquette with regard to slow play. For example had already been waiting for some time for them to finish on the green (after having been so waiting for every shot the last two holes). After they FINALLY finished the hole, one of the guys went back to the spot from which he had chipped to the green and REPLAYED his chip and putts!! Thankfully the ranger came up about that time and told them to let us play through on the next hole. We were planning to do so anyway, but I was glad the ranger since it emphasized their etiquette breach.

On the other hand, don't get me started about some jerk who hits into my group when we are having to wait for the group in front of us!

Silver said:
I'd be thrilled to get a round in around here in 4.15. 6 hour rounds aren't uncommon if playing on weekends. It can get quite torturous.

I'll never complain again. I can't even imagine dealing with that pace.

I must confess that I'm not as annoyed by slow play as most. As a retiree, I play weekday golf which tends to be less slow. But when I go to the course, I've nowhere else to be.

The thing about slow play is this: there will always be unskilled players who need more time. That's just life, and there's no reasonably complaining about it.

One thing is certain, however. If golf courses try to minimize maintenance expenses by keeping things as natural as possible, allowing the fairways to get too narrow, not cutting away underbrush, not maintaining the bunkers professionally, then things are going to get really slow.

Also, stop making courses so hard. Touring pros should be showing us their special stuff by shooting lights out on courses that recreational players can play. Building so called "championship" courses that for most players are overmatching instead of fairly challenging is an exercise in megalomania.

In general, though, golf is a game for people who've got the time.

I actually like the idea of everybody going to the ball being hit. It seems very polite.

Golf is a poor choice of recreation for people in a hurry.

I must confess that I'm not as annoyed by slow play as most. As a retiree, I play weekday golf which tends to be less slow. But when I go to the course, I've nowhere else to be.

One thing is certain, however. If golf courses try to minimize maintenance expenses by keeping things as natural as possible, allowing the fairways to get too narrow, not cutting away underbrush, not maintaining the bunkers professionally, then things are going to get really slow.

Also, stop making courses so hard. Touring pros should be showing us their special stuff by shooting lights out on courses that recreational players can play. Building so called "championship" courses that for most players are overmatching instead of fairly challenging is an exercise in megalomania.

Thank you. Cut the damn rough so the idiot 30 handicappers playing from the tips can find their sprayed tee shots quicker! :mad:

I actually like the idea of everybody going to the ball being hit. It seems very polite.

Golf is a poor choice of recreation for people in a hurry.

UNLIKE - it slows play down. If your group can shuffle themselves around in a little group-hug while each person takes their turn AND keep up with the group in front of you, then go for it. Otherwise, play ready golf and keep moving - you don't have to be in a hurry to be 'efficiently moving along'.

Last edited:

The thing about slow play is this: there will always be unskilled players who need more time. That's just life, and there's no reasonably complaining about it.

Golf is a game for everyone. Not just people that want to dilly dally around or have plenty of time on their hands. Me being a busy person and barely having enough time to get out for 9 holes doesn't mean I can't play and enjoy the game.

Golf is a game for everyone. Not just people that want to dilly dally around or have plenty of time on their hands. Me being a busy person and barely having enough time to get out for 9 holes doesn't mean I can't play and enjoy the game.
I agree!! On weekends we have the first tee time. We can play as a four or a five and still get 18 in in well under 3 hours. I spend most weeks out on the road. If I have to take 5 hours to play golf, I will give it up to spend the time with family. My wife likes to sleep in on weekends and I'm often home after 18 by the time she's barely climbing outta the sack.
If I'm off during the week, the group I play with also plays quick. It's nothing unusual to get to your ball and have carts out in front of you finding their balls. That group usually goes off around 9 a.m. If we get to a slow group and they won't let us through, we simply go around them. Then we either return to the missed hole(s) after the round or play two balls on a similar hole.
The key is common sense and common courtesy. Common sense.... If you want a quick round, don't make a tee time for 10 a.m. on a weekend. Won't happen. Common courtesy... If there is a faster group coming up behind you and there is no one right in front of you, step aside and let them through.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520