• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour or non?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much know that I am going to get the Nike Covert. I have a tour driver with a 430cc head now and I was kind of thinking I might want the 460cc non-tour Covert head, but that comes with the Kuro Kage black and the Tour comes with the Silver which is a stiffer mid and tip section. I think I would fit the Silver better although I have never been fitted. I have learned over time though that I hit stiffer tip shafts better. Whiteboard better than Blueboard, Fit On red better than yellow. Perhaps you guys could brainstorm this a bit for me.

I just thought of something that will probably be a deciding factor... the Tour is $100 more and I'll probably be able to find a Silver with the sleeve not too long into the future.

Will you be able to pick up the Silver for $100 though?

Does Nike only offer the two shafts?

Unless you think you need the forgiveness of the 460cc head, get the tour head. Easier to work the ball with the smaller head.

Unless you think you need the forgiveness of the 460cc head, get the tour head. Easier to work the ball with the smaller head.

Is there any other benefit of using a tour head? Obviously I would think bigger con would be smaller head causes more problems for inconsistent ball strikers

Is there any other benefit of using a tour head? Obviously I would think bigger con would be smaller head causes more problems for inconsistent ball strikers

You're right, but I think the difference is minimal. I think it boils down to which one fits your eye better.

Nut already has a small head, 2 actually. :D

Will you be able to pick up the Silver for $100 though?

Does Nike only offer the two shafts?
Good point.

Initially, I think so.

I don't know that I "need" the forgiveness, i'm not too bad with driver. On tight tree lined courses I probably could use a little forgiveness though, that and the price have me leaning towards the 460. With driver it's pretty rare that I even want to work the ball much. The question is whether or not the 460 would even be that much more forgiving.

You're right, but I think the difference is minimal. I think it boils down to which one fits your eye better.

I think this may be the case in the long run.

Nut already has a small head, 2 actually. :D
Ha ha ha, very funny.

I'm not sure of the upcharge, but Nike does offer a large selection of exotic shafts through their custom department. The Tour head is definitely the lower spinning head, the forgiveness is still decent enough for a consistent ball striker.

Don't forget to give us a review!
I will give a review of all the new stuff I got once I have played them a couple times and had them on the range a couple times. That'll be a while unfortunately because I am in WI and it's January.

I'm not sure of the upcharge, but Nike does offer a large selection of exotic shafts through their custom department. The Tour head is definitely the lower spinning head, the forgiveness is still decent enough for a consistent ball striker.
Is the spin affected more by the head or shaft? Meaning would the 460's #'s still be higher even with a low spin shaft? On a day without wind I would like a towering tee shot, but I usually play a pretty open course that always has some amount of wind. A lot of days there is significant wind and I am worried about ballooning. How would the loft adjustment play into spin #'s? I have the Cleveland DST Tour (430cc) with a made for Whiteboard. I like the penetrating ballflight, but on some days I feel like a 460cc would serve me better. I want to try to play more and different places so I need to narrow the spread a bit.

The spin is more affected by the shaft. With that said, the difference between 15 to 20cc isn't a huge deal. I personally like a smaller head, so what ever looks best to your eyes (as stated above)

Nute, Fwiw I play the Nike VR Tour which has a 420cc head. I love the slightly smaller look at address. When buying I had the choice of the larger Str8fit model or this one. Initially I was a bit nervous because I thought it might've been "too much club" for me. But I got over my insecurities & bought it. I'm very happy I did. If I hit a crap shot, it's my fault not the driver's. I really don't know of any 'forgiving' driver that could save me if I hit a crap shot. It just motivates me to improve my swing.

I really can't help out with advice about the shaft. I expect the Tour version will have a better quality shaft. I'm currently playing the House of Forged Patriot shaft & I can't speak up enough the benefits of quality. My .02 :)

It was the head that created the difference, I used the 7M3 in both heads. It wasn't a huge number, I would still feel comfortable with the spin numbers the regular head generated. If I recall it was 1950 with the Tour and 2275 with the standard.

Nute, Fwiw I play the Nike VR Tour which has a 420cc head. I love the slightly smaller look at address. When buying I had the choice of the larger Str8fit model or this one. Initially I was a bit nervous because I thought it might've been "too much club" for me. But I got over my insecurities & bought it. I'm very happy I did. If I hit a crap shot, it's my fault not the driver's. I really don't know of any 'forgiving' driver that could save me if I hit a crap shot. It just motivates me to improve my swing.

I really can't help out with advice about the shaft. I expect the Tour version will have a better quality shaft. I'm currently playing the House of Forged Patriot shaft & I can't speak up enough the benefits of quality. My .02 :)
I hear ya. A crap shot is a crap shot. What i'm trying to do though is just narrow down my spread a little and if I can get a little higher tee shot without ballooning it'd be great.

I like the 430 pear shape I have now. I am not extremely picky about the looks to be honest. I want the Covert for the adjustability and the cavity back. I'm hoping to tighten it up a little and get a little more carry without having it drop out of the sky in the slightest hint of wind. I went into this wanting the 460 for forgiveness, confidence, and price reasons. Knowing that the stock shaft is softer at the tip and lighter than in the tour made me think though. I'm sticking to stock shafts for now because it's most likely going to be the only thing available without getting one custom, which I wouldn't be able to afford for a while.

It was the head that created the difference, I used the 7M3 in both heads. It wasn't a huge number, I would still feel comfortable with the spin numbers the regular head generated. If I recall it was 1950 with the Tour and 2275 with the standard.
I know you don't even care to for you, but if you get a chance hit these clubs with those Kuro Kage shafts for me. I'd love to hear your experience and the numbers breakdown from a guy with your experience. If not I still appreciate your input anyways.

I know you don't even care to for you, but if you get a chance hit these clubs with those Kuro Kage shafts for me. I'd love to hear your experience and the numbers breakdown from a guy with your experience. If not I still appreciate your input anyways.

I'll try and get to it today and get back to you.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520