• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TT Black Gold Shafts

Hard stepping is tipping the shafts to play slightly firmer/less whippy. You can hard step wedge shafts as well (mine are).

What did Ed pay for his set?

R35

They were working on a deal, especially if I get my set through them. I'm not exactly sure because as he was ordering his I was getting checked for lie on my MP 60s with the coach. I'm thinking that 3-PW is in the neighborhood of $175?? He is going to call me to let me know if I'm in on the deal. (I've been out of phone service all week).
What got me is that all three of these guys play them. They were not pushing a sell. These are the same guys who reshafted Eddie's 905R with a YS-6+ that they "had in the back" and didn't charge him a penny. They just love golf and kept throwing their clubs at me it the cage saying "try my 8 iron", "Try my 4 iron, it really kicks". Pretty good guys. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was with a regular, but I didn't get that impression, they were generally excited about these shafts.

I have been pimping these ever since I first tried them. Best irons shafts I have ever played. Rock solid yet softer feeling than graphite.

Lyle, sorry for digging up an old post - just hoping to check in for an update - i'm trying to decide between black golds and DG SLs (which I've seen in your signature.

Any thoughts on what types of golfers benefit from one vs the other?

I have more of a sweeping swing, with a 6 iron swing speed around 85 - I'm thinking of either a tipped reg flex DG SL or reg flex Black golds - what do you think?

Thanks

I really did love the feel of the golds but didnt like the high ball flight. I also found I am simply more consistant with a lighter shaft. The SL's are sweet. I have pro-soft inserts in mine and they feel tremendous and the lighter overall weight fits my swing better. I find the lighter shafts allow me to be more of a sweeper, flatening my angle of attack thus creating less spin and helping keep the ball down.

Yourself being a sweeper I would go with the SL's in a stiff flex at that swing speed. That in unless you want to get a higher flight, then go with the golds in an R hardstepped once.

Both are great shafts.

Thanks,
That's what I was looking for

So you'd go stiff in the SLs? - I'm going to play them 1/2" or so short of standard length, and my current Rifle 6.0's are too stiff for me, so I didn't want to make that mistake again - which lead me towards the reg flex tipped a bit stiffer.

you'd go outright stiff?

Can you tell me anything more about these pro soft inserts? is that similar to their sensicore stuff?

Thanks again

If you are going to play them 1/2 inch shorter than standard then go with the R's. Just trim each shaft an additional 1/4 more than recommended. Or better yet match them on a frequency machine.

Prosoft inserts are better than the sensicores as they will not cause the shaft to rust internally like the sensicores do. They are also a cheaper option.

Here is a link to them

myOstrich Golf Clubmakers

Any questions feel free to ask

I'll have to check those out - doesn't look too hard to install

one last bit of info - swingweights - I know finding the right swingweight is pretty much a trial and error thing - I've read about taping coins to a driver until you find where you're making the most consistent contact - does the same thing apply to irons? (I also know it's next to impossible to feel small changes)

on a typical 6 or 7 iron at D-1, what should I tape to it to get up to D-2, D-3, etc?

If you go with the DDDGSL's and have your 5 iron at 37.5 inches your swing weight will be right around C9. Try it at this weight first, dont add weight simply for the sake of getting the SW to a number. As a sweeper you may actually like the lower swing weight.
It takes 2 grams of weight added to the head to increase the SW 1 point. Each gram will affect the shaft flex by 1 cpm. You would need 6 grams to get the SW back to where it would be at 38 inches. Six grams would be 6 cpms, meaning the shafts would play a 1/2 flex softer. SO if you know you want it at D2, then go with the S flex and add a 6g tip weight ot each shaft during install. They will them play to a firm flex.

Lyle-The black golds create a high ballflight? How high? The TT website says they are low launch....

Lyle-The black golds create a high ballflight? How high? The TT website says they are low launch....

They are much higher launch than the normal DG's and the DGSL's. They are just as high launch as the rifles as far as I am concerned. They feel great however, blind folded you would swear they were heavy weight graphite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520