• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

USBO "Report"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first tourney ever and no, it wasn't the British Open, but it was a damn good tourney. Joe Oglivy beat Lumpy and Clark for the win.

Byron (golfing buddy) got tickets and dragged me with. Man, this is not what I expected. Standing 5 feet or less away from these guys and about 5 yards away when they were teeing off or putting. Bubba Dickerson hit a drive in the long rough right next to us. He was on one side of the tree and I was five feet away on the other side. He hit a hybrid (plays Adams clubs) really nice to get out. Alot of these guys were journeymen and only a couple stars but these guys could ALL play!! We followed Camillo around for his first few holes. He's right down the middle every shot. Super accurate. Bubba Dickerson (his playing partner) is much longer but not always down the middle. Great scrambler though. Camillo does his trademark green reading (way down on the ground) just about every hole. After following these two we started moving around and saw Maggert, Charlie Wi, Sluman, Jesper (with his ugly pool hall hat), Mark Wilson, Flesch, Briny Baird, Byrum, Imada, Armour III, Slocum, MackKenzie, and the young kid Finau finishing up the 18th. We hung around the last three holes the rest of the day and followed the last group through when they got to the 16th. Absolutely the neatest thing. You're like playing in their group you're so close. Saw some ugly swings too from some of these guys.

Observations:

I couldn't believe all the belly putters being used by the pros. Maybe 1/3 of them used belly putters?

Driving and fairway shots are unbelieveable distance and straight. I thought the ball flight was very boring and not overly high though.

The Brown Deer Park golf course is sweet! Not that long (6700 yards) but very challenging with lots of streams and trouble making challenging shot choices.

Putting. I thought these guys would be better. I wasn't impressed with their putting.

Scrambling. As Dave said in a thread, these guys have the shots to get close from any kind of trouble or lie. Amazing.

Long irons. They hit them so HIGH! I was surprised at that.

100 yard shots. Very different techniques by different pros. Some hit a high drop and some hit like a long, low chip shot that stops on a dime. I couldn't hit that shot.

I'll be going again hopefully. This is much better then pro baseball and football. You're right there amongst the players. So cool.... :D

And finally, Byron and I are probably playing Brown Deer next Friday!! It's a Municipal course and cost is $85.

Brown Deer Golf Club

Sounds great. You got to see some good players. I love attending pro tournaments.

Your comments about putting are interesting. Most people think those guys make everything, but their stats show that they only make about 30% of 10-footers. They score by not three-putting, and by hitting chips and approach shots close to the pin.

Even though it's not quite as exciting as the PGA tour, the Nationwide, or even PGA qualifying tournaments can be a lot of fun too. Those guys are very, very good, and you don't have to fight the big crowds.

Check it out some day.

Im betting the reason that so many ppl think that the pros make everything is that on TV coverage they always show every putt made. Its only really the Majors we see ppl missing because they actually show the leaders instead of just highlights and the top players.

I forgot to mention I saw McNeil (playing with Langer) chip in from the bunker. That was a nice shot. And saw Ogilve's eagle. I'm still trying to "digest" all the stuff we experienced. :)

Nice review WBL.

100 yard shots. Very different techniques by different pros. Some hit a high drop and some hit like a long, low chip shot that stops on a dime.

Can you remember which shots generally turned out better.

Warbirlover, do you remember what brands and types of belly putters were being used?

I've been looking on ebay for another belly putter, because I really don't like the head on mine that much, but the choices are very limited there.

I probably should have one fitted. Sigh. More money down the drain.

Can you remember which shots generally turned out better.

Adam Pettman

Both worked equally well. More used the low trajectory shot. :)

Warbirlover, do you remember what brands and types of belly putters were being used?

I've been looking on ebay for another belly putter, because I really don't like the head on mine that much, but the choices are very limited there.

I probably should have one fitted. Sigh. More money down the drain.

SiberianDVM

Most were the bigger heads, 2-ball and the one Michelson uses (only with the long shaft), Ping "Craz-E" and "Udranium", Bettinardi, etc. :)

Nice review. I went to my first tournament earlier this year at Bay Hill and it was unbelievable. I enjoyed it and learned so much more than I thought I would. It is so much better being there than watching on TV. I will be going to every tournament I can now. I am sure you will be going every chance you can now too.

Absolutely! I'll be at the USBO every year now.

Another "observation" I forgot to mention regarding driver shafts used....

Lot's of ProForce V2's being used and also Diamana Blue Boards. Some shafts I didn't recognize at all (probably the big $$ shafts).

The TM players, for the most part, were using R7 460's. Didn't see any Burners or SuperQuads. Most common aftermarket shaft in them was the V2.

:)

Keep in mind the V2 they are using is not the retail version. It comes direct from the UST tour shop. They are double the price of the retail ones to buy and must be installed by a UST dealer.

Forgot to mention... in that paragraph about Bubba Dickerson hitting the hybrid by the tree... that grass was six inches tall. You couldn't even see the ball and I was three feet away. And he had branches overhead so had to keep it low. He clobbered that out of there 200 yards down the fairway. I've got to try a hybrid in that situation instead of a high loft wedge.... :)

I'm really starting to love the OEM V2 (reg. flex) I've got in my Mizuno driver. So far it seems very, very stable, and I'm getting good distance - surprising distance, in fact.

Stiff shaft stability, with reg. flex distance. I'll take it.

Forgot to mention... in that paragraph about Bubba Dickerson hitting the hybrid by the tree... that grass was six inches tall. You couldn't even see the ball and I was three feet away. And he had branches overhead so had to keep it low. He clobbered that out of there 200 yards down the fairway. I've got to try a hybrid in that situation instead of a high loft wedge.... :)

Don't do it, warbirdlover. Remember your bad back.

No fear!! The back can take it! And the Golf Channel replayed Sunday's USBO tonight and I found myself on a couple of shots. I was hanging around 15-18 at the end. Have the shirt on in my Avatar (my favorite golf shirt) and the black Shot Talk hat (tan shorts). :D

Absolutely! I'll be at the USBO every year now.

Another "observation" I forgot to mention regarding driver shafts used....

Lot's of ProForce V2's being used and also Diamana Blue Boards. Some shafts I didn't recognize at all (probably the big $$ shafts).

The TM players, for the most part, were using R7 460's. Didn't see any Burners or SuperQuads. Most common aftermarket shaft in them was the V2.

:)

i can almost guarentee you that those were r7 425 tps, not 460s. barely any tour pros use the 460s to my knowledge

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520