• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you buy today?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
New Epic Speed with 5.5 HZRDUS shaft. Shipped this afternoon so should have in the next few days. Temps not supposed to get above freezing before Saturday afternoon. Snow Thursday. -20 wind chills tomorrow morning. So, not in any huge hurry.

Have always tried to deal with the local golf shop. Over the years, have spent thousands of dollars there. Changed ownership about two years ago. Know the new owner and he has been as good to deal with as the former guy. They've always just used 'PGA Value Guide' for trade in values. Had Epics on clearance and I had a couple things I thought the basement not longer needed. Checked the Value Guide before I headed there. The new owner has hired a couple guys who view themselves as upper class Country Clubbers. Won't hardly speak to we low lifes when we are in the store. Handed on of them my trades and asked him for what he'd give me. When he told me, he was an even $100.00 under the PGA Value Guide!!! I said I'd checked the PGA Value Guide before leaving the house and his offer was significantly under the Guide. "Well, evidently you don't know how to read the Value Guide. If you think you can get more, try selling them yourself!" Sheesh! Out the door I walked.

Home and pulled up Callaway Preowned Golf. There trade values for my clubs was actually $40.00 higher than the Value Guide. And, the "Like New" Epics were on a 2-day sale. Got the Epic headed this way for about $140.00 less than had I taken the local guy's offer. I'll see the new owner in a week or two and relay to him what his smarta** employee cost him.

I don't buy as much, anymore, as I used to. Still, I always go there for grips, tape, gloves, etc. rather than the local Dick's. Don't know how loyal I will remain. My first purchase with the original owner was in the late 80's. Every club in my basement, except the BeCu Eye 2+'s and a couple old Ping putters came from that store.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 SW.

Got a trip to Florida scheduled and need all the cheater clubs I can find. My last few trips to Florida have resulted in a putrid short game with the total lack of practice on my end. The rest of the game I get back relatively quickly, chipping and pitching not so much.

Will be pulling out the 54* and 58* CBX wedges in favor of a 55* Square Strike and 58* Smart Sole. Yes, a Square Strike and a platter bottomed SW. Hack sticks for a hacker.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
New wedges, moving from Vokeys to TMs. Planning a re-shaft from steel to graphite.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
At the last minute, I switched my order from an Epic Max to an Epic Speed. It arrived yesterday. Should have it on the course Sunday.

Read page after page of reviews. Most indicated the Speed was as forgiving across the face... if not more... than the Max. And, it has a deeper clubface. What I "lost" was the sliding weight option. I cannot leave adjustments alone!!! If it can be changed, I'll keep tinkering with it. Felt I would spend more time learning the nuances of the driver rather than continually shifting the weight.

She's purty!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
First round with the Epic this morning. Felt pretty good. Got it dialed in on the back and hit some really great drives. Little different sound than the Mavrik. Seems a little longer, but some of that could be the different shaft. Not quite as easy to turn over as the Mavrik, but pushes still stayed in the fairway. Think it'll be the 2022 driver.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
First round with the Epic this morning. Felt pretty good. Got it dialed in on the back and hit some really great drives. Little different sound than the Mavrik. Seems a little longer, but some of that could be the different shaft. Not quite as easy to turn over as the Mavrik, but pushes still stayed in the fairway. Think it'll be the 2022 driver.
You bought the right one. I have the Epic Max with the sliding weight and I believe the straight is not as draw biased as the max. I had to slide the weight all the over to get rid of my duck hooks.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You bought the right one. I have the Epic Max with the sliding weight and I believe the straight is not as draw biased as the max. I had to slide the weight all the over to get rid of my duck hooks.
I wasn't hitting the Mavrik that bad. Just never warmed up to it. When I had a chance to pick up the Epic by simply getting rid of some "basement dwellers", I took the chance.
The past couple days have been eye-opening. Cannot understand where the difference is. The Mavrik had the "jailbreak" technology. I understand that was changed for the Epic line. And, it could be mostly the shaft. Don't know, but have seen some drives that a 75 year old should not be able to hit!!!

Now, if I could only chip and putt.........

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Jeez, WBL and Limpalong really making me want to test drive an Epic Speed... just might have to take the FIL shopping!

Ordered a PRGR launch monitor, just arrived the other day so I’m looking forward to trying it out!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Told local guy to be on the lookout for a set or irons with graphite shafts. The old wrists, elbows, etc. are beginning to talk to me when playing 7 days/week. He called this morning. Said he had a nice set that came in yesterday... just like new. If I was interested, wouldn't even put them out on the floor until I had a chance to see them. When I asked what they were, figured out of my price range.

Didn't play this morning. Steady cold drizzle with 27 degree wind chill. I can do the cold, but when it's wet and cold... the recliner seemed better than my golf cart seat!!! So, I headed over to his store to take a look at the irons.

Yep. Like new. Callaway forged Epic irons. 6-AW. F3 (R) Recoil graphite shafts. Callaway Preowned has some 7-PW sets at over $900. And, those are just "Good", not "Like New". I'd been looking at a Cobra 7-wood he has had a while. Tossed in the 7-wood with the Epic irons for a total of $700 including sales tax!!!!! I'm stoked!!!!!

Got 'em home and they are 1/2" long. But, that's just fine. New Golf Pride cord grips. Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket!!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Told local guy to be on the lookout for a set or irons with graphite shafts. The old wrists, elbows, etc. are beginning to talk to me when playing 7 days/week. He called this morning. Said he had a nice set that came in yesterday... just like new. If I was interested, wouldn't even put them out on the floor until I had a chance to see them. When I asked what they were, figured out of my price range.

Didn't play this morning. Steady cold drizzle with 27 degree wind chill. I can do the cold, but when it's wet and cold... the recliner seemed better than my golf cart seat!!! So, I headed over to his store to take a look at the irons.

Yep. Like new. Callaway forged Epic irons. 6-AW. F3 (R) Recoil graphite shafts. Callaway Preowned has some 7-PW sets at over $900. And, those are just "Good", not "Like New". I'd been looking at a Cobra 7-wood he has had a while. Tossed in the 7-wood with the Epic irons for a total of $700 including sales tax!!!!! I'm stoked!!!!!

Got 'em home and they are 1/2" long. But, that's just fine. New Golf Pride cord grips. Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket!!!!
Nice!

🔥 Latest posts