• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you pay for a round?

I would find it hard to pay more than $40 with a cart. There are so many courses around where I am that they've gotta compete. I'm a beneficiary of the price war, I guess. I can walk some VERY nice courses for less than $24 total. I can ride a very nice one, whole course, for less than 30. I'm spoiled.

But I also walk most of the time, so it's always cheaper. stop being lazy!

Anything over $40 I consider a treat, I generally pay $20-$35 or so. The nicer courses around here have week day specials that get emailed to me from time to time where 18 can be as little as $20dollars compared to $45-$50

I'm in Nova Scotia on vaca now, and the public courses here all run around 60 bucks, so that's what I am paying. In VT I pay about $40. These are prices for green fees only. I have no idea how much a cart would cost. I'm guessing add 20 or so to the price

There are no higher end public venues available, only private that I get to play maybe once a year for tournaments.

It has to be a pretty special course for me to even consider paying over $50. The most I have ever paid was 2 years ago in Scotland. I played a course called Balcomie (Crail Golfing Society) that cost me ~$115 w/cart. I rationalized the cost; because it was my first trip to Scotland and the first links course I ever played.

As mentioned in another thread, I am returning to Scotland next month. I hope to play the same course again. However, the price should be somewhat less this time. Owing to a better exchange rate between the dollar and the British pound, the cost will be about $100.

Kingsbarns is another links course that has been highly recommended by some of my Scottish friends. I seriously doubt that I will play it, though; since the price would equate to more than $300 at the current exchange rate.

I think the highest I have paid was $80, but that was Bethpage Black, and it was worth it.

I did offer a guy $400 to play Oakmont. He laughed at me because he thought I was kidding. I wasn't. If you don't have the connections, how else are you going to get into something like that? I think $400-$500 is as much as I'd pay. Although, if I could play Augusta National...

most i've paid equated to $200 - Finca Cortesin in spain (Volvo Matchplay is there in Oct).

For more normal purposes - I'll pay up to $70 or so. We have this 2-4-1 deal over here in the UK which helps alot if playing in 2's or 4's. Some pretty nice courses are signed up - and so what would have cost $100+ is half the price :)

Anything over $50-$60 is usually when we are on vacation. I once paid $600 for a round of golf at Poipu in Hawaii. Of course it was dad paying for mom, daughter and SIL. A cart was included.

for me the most would have to be around 65 bucks. living only 40 min from Myrtle Beach alot of my good friends work or teach at the courses down there so we get on CHEAP. there has been many times when we go up and play and the group before us are paying 150 each and we pay 50 ... We get real nasty looks from the other players but oh well..

Being that I work in the golf industry my view on this subject may be skewed but... I think that $180 is the most I have ever paid (TPC River Highlands). Regretted it after nine holes, then once I played the holes that you see on TV it was ok.
I'm thinking if I could play a top ten in US I'd go that high. Played World Woods in FL in season for $130 and never regretted it.

Aside from the special resort courses, which are obviously expensive, and the historic ones, what would YOU pay to play?
Although, if I could play Augusta National...
That would be an interesting thread...
Did not state such because of the initial question, but if I am ever in the area, I would pay the $450-550 or whatever it would call for to play Pebble Beach. The only I would likely do so.

I wouldn't ever pay that for PB.... Maybe $200 max.. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Augusta.. I'd pay easily in upwards of $500 for a round.

The most I have ever paid is $36 for 18 with a cart. I would go up to $40 without flinching but I don't think I would pay a penny more than $50 for 18 with a cart on a nice course. My average price is $10-20 for walking 9 during twilight hours. I can play some very well maintained courses in that range which is a benefit to not living in a metro area. I just don't think the so called "nicer courses" are worth that much more money. I don't feel I have ever played a course that played so much better than my local twilight courses that they would be worth more than $50 with a cart for 18.

And I have played a lot of nice resort courses around here including a private Donald Ross course. Maybe I don't appreciate the finer aspects of design being a novice, but I just don't see the differences being worth the money. My appreciation for courses does include knowing the difference between a well kept course and run down course. Also, I enjoy courses that are not simply wide open with straight tee to green lines, much preferring dog legs with heavy treed courses. But in the end, it is a stick and ball game no matter where you play so if the greens and fairways are well maintained, the traps have fine sand and no rocks, everything looks green and relaxing, and the greens are not pot holed then I am a happy man paying significantly less than the average person does for a very similar experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520

3. 15,301