• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why can't you repair spike marks?

slickpitt

Reaction score
I've never really understood this rule. I saw it cost AK a stroke last week on tv. Most of the rules of golf I understand the thought process behind it, but I don't really get this one. You can fix ball marks on the green, but you can't repair and area where some tard drug their feet. Anyone understand why?

It's an absurd ruling, IMO. If I'm playing with a guy, even for money, I will always let him repair the green so long as he allows me the same privilege. I'm actually in the opinion that you ought to move your ball laterally on the green if there's some obvious impediment. Putts are easy enough to miss without having to deal with poor upkeep or inconsiderate golfers' messes.

I dunno, Kinda like if your ball ends up in another golfers divot, play it where it lies. Just the rub of the green.

I'm not of the opinion that you should ever be penalized for a perfect shot, or someone else's lack of consideration. I'll play a ball down in a divot as well, but I'd just as soon like to see local rules that allow a clublength drop no closer to the hole if your ball comes to rest in a divot.

I have no problem playing out of a divot, but a spike mark on the green, thats rediculous, IMHO.

The grounds crew here is horrible, when they move a pin, the old placement may be a 1/2 inch below or above the green surface. Everyone here that I play with will allow you to move your ball laterally to avoid it if needed. Makes more sense to me.

I have no problem playing out of a divot, but a spike mark on the green, thats rediculous, IMHO.

The grounds crew here is horrible, when they move a pin, the old placement may be a 1/2 inch below or above the green surface. Everyone here that I play with will allow you to move your ball laterally to avoid it if needed. Makes more sense to me.

I'm with you on this. We have a local rule(winter rule) that you can play it up in the fairway a scorecard length for the simple reason that divots don't grow back during the winter for the most part. Play it down in the rough of course.

It wouldn't matter to me....i can't putt anyway so the spike marks would probably have more of a chance of putting the ball on the right track than ti does of knocking it off

I'm of the opinion that the rule was enacted because the most concentrated area of spike marks would be located around the hole. If one was unscrupulous, one could make "repairs" that might help guide the ball into the cup (i.e. tamping down the marks as to make a little indent that would favor a slow moving ball into the hole)

you can actually repair spike marks, you just have to putt FIRST. lol.

I'm of the opinion that the rule was enacted because the most concentrated area of spike marks would be located around the hole. If one was unscrupulous, one could make "repairs" that might help guide the ball into the cup (i.e. tamping down the marks as to make a little indent that would favor a slow moving ball into the hole)

This is the best answer to a question in a long time. I am totally satisfied with this answer.

x 2 - good answer

If the pro's could fix spike marks prior to putting it would take them 9 hours to play a round of golf. A guy like Furyk may never actually get done.

I'm actually in the opinion that you ought to move your ball laterally on the green if there's some obvious impediment. Putts are easy enough to miss without having to deal with poor upkeep or inconsiderate golfers' messes.
No LINKS!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423