• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why So Serious?!?

Honestly, the reason this movie is so brilliant is the character development.

Namely Batman. He constantly is questioned and every bit challenged over morality by Joker, and appropriately so.

Its a shame Heath wont be around to accept his oscar. His performance was brilliant in every regard.

I loved it when i saw it on sunday. My only complaint, and it was a small one, was that the movie was a bit long for my taste. I got in the theater at 915 and was out at 12

I loved it when i saw it on sunday. My only complaint, and it was a small one, was that the movie was a bit long for my taste. I got in the theater at 915 and was out at 12

Thats the tricky things. Some long movies are unecessarily long. I don't believe this was one of them. I'd rather pay 10 dollars and get the most out of it. This was quantity and quality.

Thats the tricky things. Some long movies are unecessarily long. I don't believe this was one of them. I'd rather pay 10 dollars and get the most out of it. This was quantity and quality.

I agree.. I dont think it rambled or took too many twists ya know?

Basically what i mean is that i should have checked how long it was first and then planned accordingly.

Saw it last Knight. It has set the bar higher for Graphic Novel/ Comic derived movies. Action packed yes but philosophical questions. Does the Ends justify the means? Self Determinism? Man's basic (im) morality? What is Quality? Hero/Anti Heroism, Destiny vs Free Will, and the Role of predetermined fate and just plain luck.

The Joker was the perfect villain to provide a media for these questions. Juxtaposed against Batman, the brace of criminals,The Joker paired 2-Face explores man's imperfections.

I'm not sure what current DC villains will allow a "serious dark side" Batman remake to make such social comment. The Riddler perhaps. The Penguin is just plain silly.

The Joker, with his ruthless unfeeling unpredictability, hit a cord with me. The reality of political and religious terrorism cut uncomfortably close.

The line "You complete me" was hauntingly true. BLIND RAGE must have an object to hurl itself against whether it's Batman or a members of a REAL society.

Well done movie!!!!!

i am..
i have watched..
heath's performance is phonomenal

Saw it last night & Heaths performance as the Joker is surely the best I have ever seen. Wasn't sure beforehand if he was truly that good or if the accolades were simply being bestowed due to his tragic death. I can honestly say his performance is actually better than anyone could describe.

I could have done without Harvey Two-Face but that's a minor quibble.
Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine & Christian Bale were all excellent, Gary oldman's portrayal as Commisioner Gordon could use a little beefing up, he acts a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Certainly going to be extremely hard for anyone who plays a villian in future Batman movies to out do Heath.

Saw it last night & Heaths performance as the Joker is surely the best I have ever seen. Wasn't sure beforehand if he was truly that good or if the accolades were simply being bestowed due to his tragic death. I can honestly say his performance is actually better than anyone could describe.

I could have done without Harvey Two-Face but that's a minor quibble.
Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine & Christian Bale were all excellent, Gary oldman's portrayal as Commisioner Gordon could use a little beefing up, he acts a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Certainly going to be extremely hard for anyone who plays a villian in future Batman movies to out do Heath.

I never was a big fan of Two-Face, so I didn't mind.

Honestly, I don't know what they are going to do for Joker. I mean, someone matching this will be tough. I'm hoping next one will be Riddler (my favorite until Heath's performance as Joker, which changed it), and they will make him equally dark in his own sadistic kind of way.

I saw it last Staurday at the IMAX, and it was impressive. Not the "TOP TEN MOVIE OF ALL TIME" I was expecting, but certainly a solid contender for "Best in Genre."

Heath Ledger as the Joker is simply astonishing, and reason enough to own this film. 'Nuff said.

There were a lot of very, very good effects and stunts in this movie. They added to the excitement without overwhelming the plot, or the character development.

Christian Bale's gravelly voice as Batman was annoying. I get it - I just didn't like it.

Aaron Eckhart proves why he is one of Hollywood's underrated best. His performance in "Thank You For Smoking" was superb. He ramps it up a notch in this film, and plays the "White Knight" - and fallen angel - to perfection.

Most of the cinematography was breathtaking, although I was disappointed with the scenes in which Batman is kicking and punching his way through a bunch of evil minions. The scenes were too dark, and too frenetic to appreciate the actual action taking place.

Lots of good humor in the movie as well. Morgan Freeman's line to the accountant who's considering blackmail: "You might want to reconsider that..." was priceless, and got a good belly laugh from the audience.

Why, oh why did they have to trash that beautiful car? See it and you'll know what I mean.

The movie was long, and I found myself looking at my watch a couple of times. But just when I thought things were starting to drag a bit, the director would step it up a notch and deliver another phenomenal scene. It was a long movie, but it wasn't too long.

I won't get into the allegorical references that ran throughout the film - a mythological vehicle like a superhero movie provides a screenwriter plenty of chances to comment on modern times, and there were plenty of references to terrorism, privacy concerns, politics, the usurping of the media, and consolidation and abuse of power. I will say that the overriding theme of the movie (and the Batman myth) is that we live in a dangerous world; a world where enemies are real, and heroes are hard to find. Decent men who believe in truth and justice do exist, and need to band together and trust one another to overcome the chaos of those who would bring anarchy.

Good movie. I give it 3.75 stars out of 5.

I saw it in IMAX last night and it was very worthwhile. Graphically, it is not "300," but it is a consistently better movie throughout. IMAX is worth the extra money if you can find one near you, my friends.

It did feel a little bit like a re-hash of Spiderman 2 though, with the "I don't want to be a superhero anymore" theme. I'm also very tired of these guys taking the "moral high ground" of refusing to kill guys who blatantly kill innocent people. I think it's more IMMORAL to NOT dispose of these guys who will otherwise continue their quest for the destruction of human lives.

Just makes the characters seem weak. It's not moral to protect the life of a criminal if he's already taken, and will even POSSIBLY continue to take the lives, of innocent people.

I'm also very tired of these guys taking the "moral high ground" of refusing to kill guys who blatantly kill innocent people. I think it's more IMMORAL to NOT dispose of these guys who will otherwise continue their quest for the destruction of human lives.

Just makes the characters seem weak. It's not moral to protect the life of a criminal if he's already taken, and will even POSSIBLY continue to take the lives, of innocent people.
This is at the root of the issue insofar as dealing with terrorism goes. American democracy was built on maintaining order through a system of justice that gives even the worst criminals all the benefits of presumed innocence. We are more moral than our enemies.

And past history is usually not even admissable in a court of law. We can't argue a man's past as a predictor of his "possible future." We can only argue the facts of a particular case.

You can argue that we need to change the system, that we let far too many scumbags live (even live as free men) because of the system we adhere to. And we have changed the system lately. The Patriot Act has changed the rules of justice.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your point of view. But the fact is that it is counter to the principles of justice laid down in the constitution. Perhaps the constitution is outdated and needs to be changed. But until then, when Batman meets the Joker, he will continue to give him the benefit of a justice system that has worked well for over two-hundred years.

his is at the root of the issue insofar as dealing with terrorism goes. American democracy was built on maintaining order through a system of justice that gives even the worst criminals all the benefits of presumed innocence. We are more moral than our enemies.

And past history is usually not even admissable in a court of law. We can't argue a man's past as a predictor of his "possible future." We can only argue the facts of a particular case.

You can argue that we need to change the system, that we let far too many scumbags live (even live as free men) because of the system we adhere to. And we have changed the system lately. The Patriot Act has changed the rules of justice.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your point of view. But the fact is that it is counter to the principles of justice laid down in the constitution. Perhaps the constitution is outdated and needs to be changed. But until then, when Batman meets the Joker, he will continue to give him the benefit of a justice system that has worked well for over two-hundred years.

Amen----I wasn't the only one that saw the movie as a comment on Man's general nature but also loaded with political barbs.

The Joker doesn't claim to be turning over a new leaf. I'm fairly sure he says, point blank, that he's going to keep on killing people. Not a lot to bank on there.

The Joker doesn't claim to be turning over a new leaf. I'm fairly sure he says, point blank, that he's going to keep on killing people. Not a lot to bank on there.
The sad truth is, if I'm on trial for killing someone, and I say throughout the trial, "When I get out I'm going to kill someone," and the prosecution can't prove it's case, and I go free, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Unless we adopt vigilantism as a solution. Which, after all, is exactly what Batman does. Hence, the moral dilemma.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520