• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

X flex-who knew?

It is also worth noting that along with playing this X flex shaft I also had to add an extension in the butt (1"). By adding this the playing length of the club is 44.5" which is 1/2" to 1" SHORTER than other drivers I have played, I think that plays a part of it. Shorter club, Stronger flex and most of my hits were dead center or high on the face-still getting used to the tee height I need with this club. It seems that teeing it lower than normal, 1/4 of the ball above the crown rather than 1/2 the ball above...

Haven't read thru the thread so if you've answered I apologize. What makes you think it was tipped 1"-1.5" if you only tipped it 1/4"?

Haven't read thru the thread so if you've answered I apologize. What makes you think it was tipped 1"-1.5" if you only tipped it 1/4"?

I won the shaft in an auction on ebay, the tip was broken so I paid only $.50 for it. It appears (I am just guessing) that the shaft broke in the hosel and he just stuck it on ebay. It was just a guess that it was tipped that much, it may not be at all.

Hrmm.. I shafted my Fubuki up last night.. In the head it plays to 44.75"... Right around where my Whiteboard is playing and almost .5" shorter than my Motore..

Doing the math, the longer of the shafts, is harder for me to control, and infact I gained more distance with the shorter shaft.

I will say, that I find it absolutely amazing that even .25/.50" inches off the shafts in my drivers has made a HUGE difference... After each hit, I can see where I'm hitting the ball, and 80% are dead nuts center of the face, or higher middle of the face. I too, and having to tee it a tad lower with my R9.

I likey.

isn't that funny... I've had to tee mine right down to get anywhere near the flight I want. It's still a fade but it's only 5-10 yards, whereas teeing it up high is just awful.....!

isn't that funny... I've had to tee mine right down to get anywhere near the flight I want. It's still a fade but it's only 5-10 yards, whereas teeing it up high is just awful.....!

Yeah, I find that if I tee it where all the mags and instructors say I should tee it (half the ball above the crown) I come dangerously close to putting an idiot mark on the ball and all I get are weak pop ups. If I tee it lower, 1/4 of the ball above the crown or less I find I get a nice penetrating flight and decent distance. So, I tee it down!

Hrmm.. I shafted my Fubuki up last night.. In the head it plays to 44.75"... Right around where my Whiteboard is playing and almost .5" shorter than my Motore..

Doing the math, the longer of the shafts, is harder for me to control, and infact I gained more distance with the shorter shaft.

I will say, that I find it absolutely amazing that even .25/.50" inches off the shafts in my drivers has made a HUGE difference... After each hit, I can see where I'm hitting the ball, and 80% are dead nuts center of the face, or higher middle of the face. I too, and having to tee it a tad lower with my R9.

I likey.

Glad that it worked out for ya buddy!

I charge a flat fee of $150 for gems of advice like that plus an extra $12 because it took me a while to type it on my iPhone. Plus GST (an Aussie tax) and you're looking at $178.20 Australian. I expect my check in the mail over the next few days...

Glad that it worked out for ya buddy!

I charge a flat fee of $150 for gems of advice like that plus an extra $12 because it took me a while to type it on my iPhone. Plus GST (an Aussie tax) and you're looking at $178.20 Australian. I expect my check in the mail over the next few days...

I haven't hit it yet.. I will tonight after work.. Gonna head over to East Lake GC and use the driving range.

But for what it's worth.. At our current exchange rate, and inflation, I believe you owe ME for that advice!! :)

Yeah, I find that if I tee it where all the mags and instructors say I should tee it (half the ball above the crown) I come dangerously close to putting an idiot mark on the ball and all I get are weak pop ups. If I tee it lower, 1/4 of the ball above the crown or less I find I get a nice penetrating flight and decent distance. So, I tee it down!

Ditto.. I thought maybe it's because I hit it high in the past.. The fact that I went from a 460cc monster driver(TBTP), to a sleek 420cc smaller head. I've started tee'n it lower now, and get that low to high penetrating flight that I want.. I almost feel like I'm within an inch or so, of having it tee'd up like a 3-wood!

I've started putting my driver down, and put the tee in and then the ball and making sure I don't have a ton of ball over the top of the face.

Makes me worry about putting a idiot mark on the top line when it looks too high.

Okay.. Jury is in..

Fubuki 73g.. X-flex, is THE BOMB!

Hit around 50 balls on the range today after work.. Warmed up with a 7 iron, then the 3-wood, and then finally stepped up with the driver.

The Fubuki definitely brought my ball flight up from my Whiteboard.. Which I needed with the R9 head. But the trajectory was still only around a mid/high for me.. More mid than anything. Very, very boring.. Just real flat looking, slight slow climb that appears to hang and then taper.

Very, very, very smooth shaft. It flowed like liquid. Had some kick to it, but you didn't feel like it jolts you, like the Motore does.

And roll out.. Did I mention.. I finally get some serious ROLL OUT?

Didn't feel like I've lost any carry distance, as I was putting them the same place as the whiteboard on the range... But the roll out should add more to the drives.

Felt like I had to turn it over a "wee" bit harder, but I still didn't slice any, hooked a few of them, but most were straight, or straight with a slight fade of maybe 3-4 yards on the end, and that was in the Neutral setting, with the weights set up for a slight draw..

Interesting to see, that even a shaft that appears to be too much for me, wasn't.

the fubuki is a great shaft
a bit weaker than the vs proto and vista pro's IMO
i may put on in one of my cobras

It's in the mail, buddy...

You know.. the mail service across all those ponds.. It takes TIME!! :)

Personally, I would advise everyone to try and hit a shaft one flex stronger than what they normally play. If it straightens them out, all well and good, if not they can just drop back to their previous flex.

I never would've believed that prior to a few weeks ago. I got my Evolver as an open-box/demo special (even though it was still plastic-wrapped and unhit) with a handful of shafts, and all I could get was stiff. I'm not a fast or jerky swinger, but it was a good enough deal that I figured I'd give it a shot anyway - my thinking was that I'd lop an inch off the butt and stick some weight down the shaft to soften it up anyway. Lo and behold, I knock the shit out of these stiff shafts. Better launch angle, better carry, better roll, straight as crap - I don't get it. I can only assume that the increased distance is due to the ball going in a straight line instead of a very curved line. But it's night and day. Enough so that I promptly snatched the R out of my 3W and stuck in a PL Blue S. Again, damn near miraculous results. Maybe I swing faster than I think I do - haven't been on a monitor in a long time. Whatever, I ain't looking a gift horse in the mouth. Now I just gotta scrape up a couple of hybrid shafts - I think I'm leaving my irons alone because I don't really have any control problems with them.

I never would've believed that prior to a few weeks ago. I got my Evolver as an open-box/demo special (even though it was still plastic-wrapped and unhit) with a handful of shafts, and all I could get was stiff. I'm not a fast or jerky swinger, but it was a good enough deal that I figured I'd give it a shot anyway - my thinking was that I'd lop an inch off the butt and stick some weight down the shaft to soften it up anyway. Lo and behold, I knock the shit out of these stiff shafts. Better launch angle, better carry, better roll, straight as crap - I don't get it. I can only assume that the increased distance is due to the ball going in a straight line instead of a very curved line. But it's night and day. Enough so that I promptly snatched the R out of my 3W and stuck in a PL Blue S. Again, damn near miraculous results. Maybe I swing faster than I think I do - haven't been on a monitor in a long time. Whatever, I ain't looking a gift horse in the mouth. Now I just gotta scrape up a couple of hybrid shafts - I think I'm leaving my irons alone because I don't really have any control problems with them.

I play my irons a little softer personally, and it seems that what most people do.. Don't know why, but it seems that way.

I have S300's and PX 5.5's in my iron sets, and tipped S flex, and X-flex in my hybrids and woods.

Let me know what kinda hybrid shafts you looking at. I found a few on close-out at the PGA stores in Atlanta, for under $10 bucks I think. I don't mind picking them up for you and meeting around LaGrange.

I put X-flex in my hybrid because it's all I could find quickly, locally anyways. It's an absolute bomb. 19* hybrid and it's an easy 200 yard club for me.

The Fubuki is still awesome as crap for me. I'm just trying to get things straight. I'm pull hooking 1 out of 3 these days. Even with the R9 cranked wide open.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520