• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

X flex-who knew?

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
So if any of you have paid attention to a few of my recent threads you will know that I won an auction for an X fex Diamana Redboard with a cracked tip. Well, I cleaned up it-cut off about 1/4" that was broken and installed the shaft into my Adams XTD pro head. I can only guess that this club was installed and the shaft broke in the hosel so I am guessing that all told the shaft has been tipped around 1 to 1.5", again just a guess. The shaft was 41.25 from grip to tip when I got it so I don't know.

Anyway cleaned it up, threw it in the Adams and put a 1" butt extension in to get the driver to play at 44.5". It was kinda rainy and grey today but I took it out behind my house and hit 8-10 balls with it and man I must say this club has come alive for me. I was all over the place with the YS Q that it had in it. But with this X flex Redboard-much better. I still hit a couple of OTT pulls but still had good distance and good flight. I was very surprised to say the least, I fully figured that this shaft would be WAY to stiff for me but if feels really good. I'm actually excited to get out and play again and will report back!

Good stuff Jim,

Update the sig before it all goes south.....:thumbs up:

Personally, I would advise everyone to try and hit a shaft one flex stronger than what they normally play. If it straightens them out, all well and good, if not they can just drop back to their previous flex.

No harm, no foul. Congrats on finding something that WORKS!!!

I had the same results when I tried the BB Solutions 130x that I am currently gaming. I am hitting my driver better than ever.

That's going to be my next move. 10.5* low spin head with an Xflex. I need accuracy over distance big time. I'm losing over 10yds. a drive anyway by having to curve it to get it in play.

Ez, I just got a Tour Burner TP last week. I went up to a 10.5 degree for the same reasons, I was thinking an extra degree of loft in a low spin head with a low spin shaft. It's got the TP Daimana shaft which is WhiteBoard profile if I'm not mistaken? It has worked a treat hitting it just as far if not futher than my FT9 Tour and Titty 909D2 but the extra degree has improved my accuracy from the tee as I was hopeing. I shot a 38 Par 36 on saturday morning and my driver had me dead centre on the 4 holes I used it. I played 18 on Friday with it and again yesterday and I think I've defenetly made a right decision...although it does fly higher and looses a little distance into the breeze but fairway beats trees!

And now you want an 8.5 R9???? I would tell any amateur to get a big loft with a heavy shaft. That's what all the top AM's and pros do... Come to the Lytham Trophy and see for thineselves!!

And now you want an 8.5 R9???? I would tell any amateur to get a big loft with a heavy shaft. That's what all the top AM's and pros do... Come to the Lytham Trophy and see for thineselves!!

Thinking of going with a two driver setup or may get the R9 in 10.5

I would love an R9 10.5 TP with an X in it. That'd be an awesome combo.

Although, going back to the OP, I loved the X Blueboard I had in a 9.5 FT-5. It was an absolute bomber, and the shaft didn't feel like an iron bar either!

Good stuff Jim,

Update the sig before it all goes south.....:thumbs up:

Personally, I would advise everyone to try and hit a shaft one flex stronger than what they normally play. If it straightens them out, all well and good, if not they can just drop back to their previous flex.

No harm, no foul. Congrats on finding something that WORKS!!!

I could probably play regular flex in some shafts, and normally play Stiff in most everything.

However, I can't stand the Motore shaft I have for my R9. It has no feel to it.. I tipped my Whiteboard a tad, maybe 1/2 inch to clean the tip up, and make the install cleaner in the sleeve.. That shaft was a rocket launcher this weekend.. The shorter shaft also helped I think. The ball flight was super, super low though, and I struggled to get a good combo of higher flight.

Per your advise, it also makes me feel better, because I have a 73X Fubuki waiting on a sleeve here as well to toss in the R9. Hopefully that'll work, or sold it will be. Feels pretty stout though.

I could probably play regular flex in some shafts, and normally play Stiff in most everything.

However, I can't stand the Motore shaft I have for my R9. It has no feel to it.. I tipped my Whiteboard a tad, maybe 1/2 inch to clean the tip up, and make the install cleaner in the sleeve.. That shaft was a rocket launcher this weekend.. The shorter shaft also helped I think. The ball flight was super, super low though, and I struggled to get a good combo of higher flight.

Per your advise, it also makes me feel better, because I have a 73X Fubuki waiting on a sleeve here as well to toss in the R9. Hopefully that'll work, or sold it will be. Feels pretty stout though.

I was reluctant to try the creation when I was told how much of a monster it was but it really is the best thing that I could have done for my game. Like I said just TRY a stronger flex shaft even if it has 1* more loft on the clubhead with it. The difference will be amazing if it's right for you.

I believe the fubuki could be good for you if your playing a 1/2" tipped whiteboard. I'll be very surprised of that's not in your bag within a week of you trying it out. And it can be en expensive exercise but if your ballflight is straight but just too low you can always go up a degree in driver heads.

Be very interested to know how you get on and I could be interested in the fubuki for the right price if it doesn't work for you...

I was shocked, I normally like shafts that have lost of feel-blueboard and don't play to stiff. I have Rifle 5.5's in my irons and love them. The Redboard is a higher launching shaft and in X flex that has been tipped at least 1" and maybe more. To say I was shocked is an understatement. It still has lots of feel and the flight I get is great and it really made that Adams head come alive!

I was reluctant to try the creation when I was told how much of a monster it was but it really is the best thing that I could have done for my game. Like I said just TRY a stronger flex shaft even if it has 1* more loft on the clubhead with it. The difference will be amazing if it's right for you.

I believe the fubuki could be good for you if your playing a 1/2" tipped whiteboard. I'll be very surprised of that's not in your bag within a week of you trying it out. And it can be en expensive exercise but if your ballflight is straight but just too low you can always go up a degree in driver heads.

Be very interested to know how you get on and I could be interested in the fubuki for the right price if it doesn't work for you...

I play my R9 in the NU( Neutral Upright ) setting usually.. I just helps me close the club a little bit easier sometimes.. Or it did with the Motore shaft.. I assume playing it upright like that, takes away some loft, though. I could jack the face wide open, toss the heavy weight in the heel, and hope I turn it over enough. :)

I used to hit moon balls alot.. Now the Whiteboard has dropped my flight WAY down. The fubuki is high launch they say, just super low spin, which I need for the roll out, since I get jack-shite for distance sometimes.

I was shocked, I normally like shafts that have lost of feel-blueboard and don't play to stiff. I have Rifle 5.5's in my irons and love them. The Redboard is a higher launching shaft and in X flex that has been tipped at least 1" and maybe more. To say I was shocked is an understatement. It still has lots of feel and the flight I get is great and it really made that Adams head come alive!

Do you feel like your leaving some on the table? I play 5.5 PX's in my irons, and generally S in most of my other clubs..

I'm about to plunge into a heavyweight X- that "might" have been tipped, but I doubt it.. Haven't yet looked into it.. This is a high-launch shaft as well..

Think it's a keeper? Do you feel like your accuracy is better?

Do you feel like your leaving some on the table? I play 5.5 PX's in my irons, and generally S in most of my other clubs..

I'm about to plunge into a heavyweight X- that "might" have been tipped, but I doubt it.. Haven't yet looked into it.. This is a high-launch shaft as well..

Think it's a keeper? Do you feel like your accuracy is better?

I don't think I'm leaving a whole lot on the table. Compared to the shaft that I had in it (GD YSQ) I am WAY more accurate-I was all over the place with that shaft. With the Redboard I feel like I can GO at it or I can just make a normal swing and get alot out of it. To be honest, it feels very similar to the 73g blueboard that I had in a 905R (bore thru so it played stiffer) and I loved that combo.

Now, take this with a grain of salt as i have not experimented with lots of shafts....

I bought a club that has been around these boards for some time, it has an x-flex shaft in it. Immediately i felt accuracy was better. I didn't notice any distance loss that i can tell.

It was probably the best thing i have done for my driving since i learned an inside out swing plane.

Even if it was a noticible distance loss the accuracy i gained would be well worth it. As it has been said many times on this forum, i would much rather be any distance shorter in the fairway than longer in the woods/rough/water/etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520