• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Yardage Boost

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I have no idea why, but my friend noticed and was asking me about this. Every winter for the last 3 years ive picked up 5 yards on every club more or less. This is pickup up 5 yards over my summer distances, then once i get into spring/summer as the year goes on im a full club and a half longer then i was the year before?!?

Not that im complaining, but must just be my swing getting better with better contact?:biglol:

Anyone else have anything thats seemed like this? I didnt think id be able to pickup more yards this winter, but im a club longer on the range then i was this past summer...?

I lost a little with the driver and picked some up with the irons. Strange.

Anyone else have anything thats seemed like this? I didnt think id be able to pickup more yards this winter, but im a club longer on the range then i was this past summer...?

I went from drives of 230 yards in the late spring, now late winter I'm able to get it out there 260 (when the weather allows me). Unlike you though, I know it was because I started lifting weights religiously.

I went from drives of 230 yards in the late spring, now late winter I'm able to get it out there 260 (when the weather allows me). Unlike you though, I know it was because I started lifting weights religiously.

I have been doin some weights, but i dont think that would have anything to do with it. Even now in the winter im carrying most of my drives like 260-270 (i know this because its wet and the ball just hits and sticks in its pitch mark:p). I even carried one to the 115 yard marker on a 407 yard flat out hole today, i was shocked to say the least because ive never been a long hitter compared with most of the people i play with (who im better than, but they can bomb it).

Ill attribute the driver to the new shaft though:D this thing is wicked.

Its because you are going through puberty. Arent you like 19 now? Your actually getting man muscles.:)

It aint puberty:p i havent grown at all since gr8, been shaving since then too and my voice cracked in gr7.

So scratch that theory.:p

It aint puberty:p i havent grown at all since gr8, been shaving since then too and my voice cracked in gr7.

So scratch that theory.:p

It is because you going throught the upper teens and becoming a man just admit it.:laugh:

Every long, cold winter I seem to drop about 3-4 strokes off my cap immediatly withing the first 2 months of the season.

Only last year I and other people noticed a distance gain.

I went through something similar in my early early twenties. Not sure what it was but I was always long but got a llittle longer. I am currently my longest at 35 probably due to working out the golf muscles everyday.

PhillyEagle, im 6"2, 220lbs. I was 6"2 in grade 8, i grew more then 2 feet from grade 6-8, and was always the tallest person by far, elementary school bball was easy for me because i was tallest in the league by just over a foot:D. Although ive gained about 40ish pounds since gr8, its mostly more muscle in the upper body (legs have always been super strong from skiing).

I think up until last year i was never really considered "long", now this year im probly getting up there, but i still know guys who are using 1-2 clubs less then me into par threes. On the jr tours here, im probly distance wise, i Jim Furyk compared to the PGA, a good distance avg, but by no means long compared to the others.

PhillyEagle, im 6"2, 220lbs. I was 6"2 in grade 8, i grew more then 2 feet from grade 6-8, and was always the tallest person by far, elementary school bball was easy for me because i was tallest in the league by just over a foot:D. Although ive gained about 40ish pounds since gr8, its mostly more muscle in the upper body (legs have always been super strong from skiing).

I think up until last year i was never really considered "long", now this year im probly getting up there, but i still know guys who are using 1-2 clubs less then me into par threes. On the jr tours here, im probly distance wise, i Jim Furyk compared to the PGA, a good distance avg, but by no means long compared to the others.

Distance is going to be in your shoulder width, people with wide shoulders are usually the long hitters. Look at Tiger, Ernie, Vijay. I have wide shoulders and have always been long and I wear a size 48 jacket and I am only 5'11".

Distance is going to be in your shoulder width, people with wide shoulders are usually the long hitters. Look at Tiger, Ernie, Vijay. I have wide shoulders and have always been long and I wear a size 48 jacket and I am only 5'11".

Yay, big upper body:D Im distance bound;)

Sandpiper, there is merit to the arguement that you are growing man muscles. Your triceps do develop as you get older and they are very hard to work on the younger you are. Now as to whether or not they help you hit the ball any further, I have no idea.

That exact thing happend to me, started again after winter and I'm a club longer + I'm 17 and skinny as hell.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54