• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Yardage

Johannes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When playing a course that does not have GPS in the carts or walking, I was wondering about how you give yourself accurate yardages into greens.

How do you guys go about getting a correct yardage for yourself?

Also, when you see the 200yd, 150yd, 100yd markers are they measuring from that point to the CENTER of the green or the front edge?

What about dog legs?

Thanks,

John

Old skool golfers use "the Force"!
Judgement, based on years of experience that account for distance, weather, wind, ground conditions etc.

Does the course provide you with a 'pin sheet' before teeing off that shows the distances from the center of the green??

Yardages are measured down the center of the fairway - so there will be an angle point in a dogleg.

They are also measured to the center of the green.

I land surveyed to get myself through school, I know my paces very well and I just pace to the nearest yardage marker (100, 150, 200).

I look for a marker. Unless it's one of my birdy holes(Holes I know I stand a chance at making birdie) I shoot for center. Unless, of course it's on a tier that center wouldn't be ideal, then I try and go for the tier. My home course is marked really well, so that helps.

I always get a kick out of golfers who can't break 100 but still have their trusty yardage electro-mahooky out.

I usually just base it off gut feeling, and i relate distances to holes i know very well, how far it looks like it will play. Yard markers dont mean much, case in point, hole #10 at my home course, 159 yards down hill over a lake. Ive seen so many players take out a 7-6-hybrid and hit the woods beyond the green on the fly. I hit my GW which goes about 125 for me, and it puts me in the middle of the green. Distances mean nothing, its all feel, if its off a teebox, expect more distance as you have a "perfect lie" with a tee. If theres any slopes, changes in elevation, wind, wetness, so on and so forth. It will come to you eventually when you dont second guess your instinct.

I cheated

I told my wife and mother in law I wanted a skycaddie for Xmas and my birthday and they wouldn't have to get me anything else, it's on it's way here already. MIL bought me one. Helps that I never ask for more than sweaters or socks most of the time, they both felt so good about buying me something nice they pulled the trigger right off the bat.

I told my wife and mother in law I wanted a skycaddie for Xmas and my birthday and they wouldn't have to get me anything else, it's on it's way here already. MIL bought me one. Helps that I never ask for more than sweaters or socks most of the time, they both felt so good about buying me something nice they pulled the trigger right off the bat.

Ah, the SkyCaddie. My new golfing lust object. My course isn't on the list yet, but I would still want it for the yardage measuring feature.

Make sure your course is available. If not, you can plot it yourself, but that's a lot of work.

Ah, the SkyCaddie. My new golfing lust object. My course isn't on the list yet, but I would still want it for the yardage measuring feature.

Make sure your course is available. If not, you can plot it yourself, but that's a lot of work.

Like the say in Madden Football, "It's in the Game" (catch phrase I believe is actually proprietery to EA sports) but regardless, more than half the courses around here are in there, mine included.

They make $200 range finders that I want some day but now I use my little $10 range finder and I'm pretty accurate with it.

Does the course provide you with a 'pin sheet' before teeing off that shows the distances from the center of the green??

My club color codes the flags, except the stoner kids seem to want to put the red ones in the middle and yellow in the back. Pisses me off to no end!

All the courses in this area are measured to the center of the green. I usually step it off from the closest marker. Although I do own a Range Finder, I rarely use it on the course. Usually just new courses (in place of yardage books), when a target shot is required off the tee or on a second for a par 5, or when it is unclear what tee box is being used.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic device and extremely accurate, I just feel if I use it too much it takes away from the game for me. I mainly got it as I was tired of spending $5 on a yardage book everytime I played a new course, and for practice sessions. About the only downside I have found is getting readings on elevated pin locations can be tougher.

Most of our courses up here use a lower smaller flag with a band that they raise and lower to show pin location. Top in the back bottom is front. Every now and then someone moves this not knowing what it is there for. My old location usually had Red, White and Blue Flags or pin location on the score card.

I use the 7 iron and if I come up short its over 150 and if goes over the green its about 140 and if it goes in the water then I should have aimed more too the left.
I have noticed that what 150 is on one course plays 160 on another.

The course I learned to play on and still most often play has no yardage markers. I learned to just judge by feel and pretty well ignore yardage markers at other courses now. I hit the GIR on the #1 handicap hole yesterday, I was about 5 yards past the 200 marker and hit it with a knockdown fade 7iron. So much for 200, had I hit a full 5iron I would been over the green by 25yards.

I guess I consider markers a luxury or something now. I often will try to hit the 150 green at the range with my PW down to my 7iron just to get the feel for different shots/clubs. I've probably got 30 different combinitions from 150now.

check the club score card for yardage interpretation data. some guys already said it; most measure to the center of the green, down the center of the fairway.

our club, though small and broke, has nice yardage posts at the 200, 150 and 100 yard marks. very nice, but easy to get hooked on.

i purchased a pinseeker. i like it alot. it taught me that some people are better at guaging distances than others. however, ALL make mistakes often enough to seriously affect the shot. it really begins to matter when you get inside 220 yards or so, which would be a very nice 3 wood shot for most guys. whenever you're outside your maximum playable distance, it doesn't matter. if your inside, then you need to know so as not to fly over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301