• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The World Cup

golfman2760 said:
hey if the Aussies got the penalty in the dying seconds instead of the Italians do you think the Australia fans would be upset, blaming the ref and mafia?
It was actually pretty funny they kept showing a section of Sydney. The fans were going nuts and cheering everytime Italy had a good play, and ESPN simply showed Sydney. I'm like, what are these guys all nuts. It wasn't until maybe 5 minutes after the game that they commented it was in "Little Italy"

Ghana looks pretty good in this game, actually with exception to the Renaldo Goal, which was fantastic on his part, I think Ghana has played much better than Brazil. The second goal was clearly offsides, it likely could be 1-1. I think Balboa is one of the announcers, and he just sounded like an idiot. Ghana argued the call with the line judge. Balboa (I believe), said "You play until the wistle blows, if he is offside, he is offside, but continue to play" What a chump comment, he must be blind. If the guy was onside he either had no play on the ball, or the defender who was right next to him would have. Kinda hard to play on when the play ended immediately after passing the defender, and was only playable because of the offside. They never acknowledged the defender had a point in his argument.

OK, after looking at the results so far, my final four is as follows:

Argentina, England, Italy, and Spain. Argentina over Italy, Spain over England. Spain takes it all in a shocker over Argentina.

That prediction an $10 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks :D.

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
The second goal was clearly offsides, it likely could be 1-1. I think Balboa is one of the announcers, and he just sounded like an idiot. Ghana argued the call with the line judge. Balboa (I believe), said "You play until the wistle blows, if he is offside, he is offside, but continue to play" What a chump comment, he must be blind.
Now he is commenting, "A good coach probably saw the offsides..."

...unlike a bad announcer that has the benifit of seeing a replay prior to making idiot comments.

ualtim said:
OK, after looking at the results so far, my final four is as follows:

Argentina, England, Italy, and Spain. Argentina over Italy, Spain over England. Spain takes it all in a shocker over Argentina.

That prediction an $10 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks :D.
Well, a few hours later and this prediction is out the window. Revised final four: Argentina, England, Italy, and Brasil. Argentina/Brasil final (which is what I wanted in the first place) with Argentina taking it all.

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Ghana looks pretty good in this game, actually with exception to the Renaldo Goal, which was fantastic on his part, I think Ghana has played much better than Brazil.

'cept Ghana couldn't finish anything. And that last goal by Brazil was sweet.

However, I heard comments that they weren't really playing good team ball, and that seemed pretty accurate. Although Ronalindho had a great backheel in the last 15 mins, and Ronaldo did feed one spectacular ball inside. The Ghana keeper earned his spot that day.

ualtim said:
Well, a few hours later and this prediction is out the window. Revised final four: Argentina, England, Italy, and Brasil. Argentina/Brasil final (which is what I wanted in the first place) with Argentina taking it all.

You and the refs....

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Now he is commenting, "A good coach probably saw the offsides..."

...unlike a bad announcer that has the benifit of seeing a replay prior to making idiot comments.

Balboa has been making chump comments throughout. Witness the PK call against the Aussies that gave the match to Italy. Clearly a dive, and Balboa praised the guy for the dive, saying: "Great job, he really sold that well. Did you see how he threw his legs up in the air after he hit the ground? Great work." Omigod did he actually praise the guy for cheating?

And, while lamenting the excess number of yellows being given during this World Cup, he blurted out, "why are they calling fouls for shirt-pulling? Shirt pulling is part of the game." No, you A$$HOLE, shirt pulling means that you got beat by a more fit, or more talented player. Shirt-pulling is cheating.

Balboa is a complete ass, and should not be commentating at this level.

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
It was actually pretty funny they kept showing a section of Sydney. The fans were going nuts and cheering everytime Italy had a good play, and ESPN simply showed Sydney. I'm like, what are these guys all nuts. It wasn't until maybe 5 minutes after the game that they commented it was in "Little Italy"

Australia is a multicultural country

it takes a lot of different nationalities in

mainly arabs (aka terrorists) Indians,Pakistani's,Chinese Europeans etc

golfman2760 said:
Australia is a multicultural country

it takes a lot of different nationalities in

mainly arabs (aka terrorists) Indians,Pakistani's,Chinese Europeans etc
I see the same out here in most of the cities in the states, especially around Philadelphia and NY, where they probably have a higher Italian Population than any other. I know I saw alot of the the same in the news during the Italy~USA game, where it was probably 80-85% in favor of Italy in most of the bars especially around South Philly and the Italian section of NY. It just surprised me on the Sydney coverage because the gave no indication that it was Little Italy, once they did I imediateley understood.

My first thought, because they had a hugh fire that got much bigger when the game ended, was that there was rioting going on, which was about the time they said it was Little Italy.

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I see the same out here in most of the cities in the states, especially around Philadelphia and NY, where they probably have a higher Italian Population than any other. I know I saw alot of the the same in the news during the Italy~USA game, where it was probably 80-85% in favor of Italy in most of the bars especially around South Philly and the Italian section of NY. It just surprised me on the Sydney coverage because the gave no indication that it was Little Italy, once they did I imediateley understood.

My first thought, because they had a hugh fire that got much bigger when the game ended, was that there was rioting going on, which was about the time they said it was Little Italy.

the little Italy that you're reffering to sounds like Leidcarht

its a suburb just 2 stops from Sydney's main city apparently every second shop is an Italian restauraunt in that section of Sydney, but yeah we do have our fair share of people who decend from Italy

I myself decend from Europe but my parents are Croatian and Slovenian so that makes me half/half

Finally watched Brazil-Ghana and France-Spain.

1. Brazil should not have gotten credit for either of their first two goals. The second goal was obviously offside. But...

The first goal by Ronaldo is a little more complex. My understanding of the offside rule is that a player, when in an offside position at the start of a play that results in a goal, is not penalized if he removes himself from the play, and has no influence on the outcome of the goal. Witness McBride in the game against Ghana. He was in an offside position next to the goalmouth when Beasly hit the ball into the net. McBride did not affect the flight of the ball, but his position interfered with the keeper’s ability to make a defensive play; thus McBride was rightly called offside. Watch the replay of Ronaldo’s goal. Ronaldo is waiting for the pass. Cafu (I think) is to the right of him in an offside position. The pass goes to Ronaldo, and Cafu slyly positions himself between Ronaldo and the nearest Ghanan defender, preventing him from making a defensive play on Ronaldo. Cafu should have been called offside.

2. Balboa is an ass. I’m calling him Balbozo from now on. Here are some more Balbozoisms (slightly paraphrased).

Brazil is up 2-0 against Ghana team that appears to be outplaying them: “Brazil is sitting back letting the other team attack. This is not typical Brazilian soccer.” No you idiot, it is typical soccer. When your team is up 2-0, you get defensive.

Also in the Brazil – Ghana match. “The refs are issuing way too many yellow cards, and more importantly, they’re issuing them too early in the match. Talk to the players, refs. Let us know what we can and can’t get away with.” Balbozo, are you suggesting that a referee let a player know what types of cheating he will be allowed to get away with?

3. Balbozo is a complete ass.

4. The France – Spain match was thrilling, and a shining example of how the game should be played and refereed and commentated.). I only hope the championship match is as good. (Note to ESPN - please sub John Harkes for Balbozo in all future games.)

To be honest, I was so impressed with the Ronaldo Goal I didn't even see Cafu in the play. You are correct, if he takes himself out of the play, no way obstructs the view (as did McBride) or the other players, as you mention Cafu did, it is not offsides. Usually a player will walk back towards the center line, if they do not, in most cases the ref will call it offsides regardless of their wherabouts. Usually the second a defender crosses his line, while he is walking back, he can get back in the play. So I guess if he was simply walking back it probably would not have been called, however if he makes an movement to obstruct the player it should be.

If they hand out this many cards in The next World Cup, it may actually change my opinion and willingness to watch the sport. If they want to book every call with a yellow, that really makes no difference to me, it just cheapens the effect. However if they still continue to carry over cards in that round as I am sure they will, I would find it hard to watch the sport when 1/2 of the good talent is sitting on the bench due to excessive yellows, or in fear of getting another. Simply giving the Refs too much influence on not only that game, but the next game where they will not be there to answer the fans disappointment.

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
To be honest, I was so impressed with the Ronaldo Goal I didn't even see Cafu in the play. You are correct, if he takes himself out of the play, no way obstructs the view (as did McBride) or the other players, as you mention Cafu did, it is not offsides. Usually a player will walk back towards the center line, if they do not, in most cases the ref will call it offsides regardless of their wherabouts. Usually the second a defender crosses his line, while he is walking back, he can get back in the play. So I guess if he was simply walking back it probably would not have been called, however if he makes an movement to obstruct the player it should be.

If they hand out this many cards in The next World Cup, it may actually change my opinion and willingness to watch the sport. If they want to book every call with a yellow, that really makes no difference to me, it just cheapens the effect. However if they still continue to carry over cards in that round as I am sure they will, I would find it hard to watch the sport when 1/2 of the good talent is sitting on the bench due to excessive yellows, or in fear of getting another. Simply giving the Refs too much influence on not only that game, but the next game where they will not be there to answer the fans disappointment.

Yeah - he clearly made a move to obstruct the Ghanan player.

I don't want to take anything away from Ronaldo - it was one heck of a goal. But it shouldn't have counted.

Germany and Argentina was probably the best match I have seen this World Cup. Needless to say, it was actually the first well reffed match I have seen to this point. I will not mention the outcome as I realize some seem to be taping. I held off in coming to the thread for that exact reason. They never said what really transpired after the game between the coaches and players, but it looked like it was going to get real ugly for a minute.

I still think Balboa is one of the worst announcers in the sport, and he did not let me down in this one. I wish he had gone down on the field and the team that lost could have beat the cr@p out of him to make the altercation at the end of an otherwise perfect match even all that more special.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520