• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge Talk

Wedges were my most hated part of hte game when I started. Mainly because I liked to hit most everything fat.

Now, they're probably my favorite part of the game. When I happen to get out and play...

I always liked the Vokey's...but $100+ for one wedge always put me off. I really like my forged Maltby wedges for $20 each. Too bad I can't find that model anymore.

I'd be looking in the bargain bins of golf retailers for superseded box grooved models of any of the mainstream brands. Hacking out of the deep rough is where most of us would be. Wide grooves are our friends.

Love the Taylormade ATV grind wedges. My other go to wedges are the Classic Ping Eye 2 plus wedge and Ping Zing wedge. They are ugly, but damn I have a lot of confidence in them due to the number of shots I have made with them.

Update on those comets I got for Christmas, I used them on Boxing Day at the range, and they were money, I was spinning the ball well, and that was the main thing I was looking for, I also got some sweet distance control between the four wedges in my bag.

Love the Taylormade ATV grind wedges. My other go to wedges are the Classic Ping Eye 2 plus wedge and Ping Zing wedge. They are ugly, but damn I have a lot of confidence in them due to the number of shots I have made with them.
The ATV's are ugly but bar none the easiest to hit wedges I have ever owned. Very accurate and decent feel too!

On wedges, what set up do you lot use?
I've chucked an extra wedge in the bag as of late.
45* PW, 50* GW, 52*/54*/58* Vokeys.
The extra 52* was a random thought but it covers an exact distance really well.
PW 125m
GW 115m
52* 100m
54* 90m
58* 70m

Approach shots on my course are generally around the 80-120m so the extra wedge helps with choice now.

hates wedges, apart from sand and pitching - anything else has been banned from my bag - they got horrible teeth!

I play a 47° pitching wedge , two vokeys 50° and 62°, and one scrappy beat up Wilson 56. I also have a isik 54° SW but I don't like it, so I don't use it.

PW: 130
52°: 115-120(haven't had enough time to figure it exactly)
56°:105-95(I can hit different shots to those two yardages)
62°: about 80 yards, but I doubt I'll be using it on many full shots, but we'll see.

I play a 47º PW, 52º, and a 56º.

Simple, stock pitches and chips are my 52º. It's the one I'm most comfortable with on any given distance/shot type. If I want it to run out really far I go with the 47(or possibly 9i/8i/etc). If I want it to go higher, land softer, and run out less, I go with the 56º.

All of them can be thrown in low and hot with spin, or opened up and tossed high, but they all work well in different scenarios.

I haven't had a need for anything more than a 56º till @jhmeg2 and I were hitting over a 40 foot tall fence standing within 20 feet of it. I don't encounter that on the golf course, ever...

The ATV's are ugly but bar none the easiest to hit wedges I have ever owned. Very accurate and decent feel too!

I agree. I do not think they look too bad, and are easy to use.

A friend of mine works with Taylormade. They never advertised the bounce because they have a ton of it and were afraid that people would not play them. That was when bounce was a bad thing. Now it looks like the rest of the world has caught up and high bounce wedges are the in thing right now.

On wedges, what set up do you lot use?
I've chucked an extra wedge in the bag as of late.
45* PW, 50* GW, 52*/54*/58* Vokeys.
The extra 52* was a random thought but it covers an exact distance really well.
PW 125m
GW 115m
52* 100m
54* 90m
58* 70m

Approach shots on my course are generally around the 80-120m so the extra wedge helps with choice now.

I definitely think better players can really reap the benefits of having many wedges in their bag.

I am an average golfer and do not feel handicapped with using a PW and a SW. The irons that I am currently playing have a 48* pitching wedge, so with the SW I feel I can do everything that I need to do.

When I play a set of irons with a 44* PW I add a gap wedge to my bag

I definitely think better players can really reap the benefits of having many wedges in their bag.

I am an average golfer and do not feel handicapped with using a PW and a SW. The irons that I am currently playing have a 48* pitching wedge, so with the SW I feel I can do everything that I need to do.

When I play a set of irons with a 44* PW I add a gap wedge to my bag

In the minimalist bag, my distances are as follows (just carrying one wedge):
Driver Tee - boxes
5W - Tee boxes -----> 155
5H - 155 ---> 140
7i - 140 ---> 120
9i - 120 ----> chipping distance
SW - 70 ----> sand bunkers or fluffy chipping lies

7 clubs eliminates all the decision making and 14 clubs getting all stuck together in the bottom of the Sunday bag. ;)

In the minimalist bag, my distances are as follows (just carrying one wedge):
Driver Tee - boxes
5W - Tee boxes -----> 155
5H - 155 ---> 140
7i - 140 ---> 120
9i - 120 ----> chipping distance
SW - 70 ----> sand bunkers or fluffy chipping lies

7 clubs eliminates all the decision making and 14 clubs getting all stuck together in the bottom of the Sunday bag. ;)

I rarely have 14 clubs in the bag. I usually have 10 to 12. That is plenty of decisions for me to get in trouble!

I rarely have 14 clubs in the bag. I usually have 10 to 12. That is plenty of decisions for me to get in trouble!
My best golfing buddy never carries more than 10 clubs. Says it's easier to count them to make sure he hasn't left any behind. His bag has 14 slots/holes. Don't you dare put a club back into his bag and get it in the wrong slot!!! He has a special hole for each of the 10 clubs. OCD!!!!

I struggle to keep it to 14. Best decision I ever made was to go with the "14 hole" bag. That keeps me from tossing in four or five extras. The more I carry, the more I can use the excuse "I pulled the wrong club!" :>)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520